PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccdeere

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I've been smoking bulk tobacco but am getting curious about tinned tobacco... I see and hear a lot of talk about old tinned tobacco. Does letting tinned tobacco sit for years in the tin affect the tobacco or is the fervor more about the quality of tobacco from the past.? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
The flavors marry over time to produce a smoke that is usually more mellow and smooth than the fresh versions. The difference can be amazing.
When you taste an old brand, that hasn't been in production for 5 or more years, you aren't tasting the original blend if it were fresh. You're tasting a mature version of the original.
If it was garbage blend going in, it is probably garbage coming out, even if aged.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I prefer tinned tobacco mostly because of how it ages, plus it is just easier to store. Most of my favorite blends only come in tins which is fine by me. I smoke VA, Vaper and Vabur flakes only and all of them age beautifully in their original tins. Cracking a ten year old tin is an amazing experience. Everytime the tobacco is much tastier than it's fresh version. The tobacco has time to marry all of it's different components and the virginia base has time to get sweeter and tastier as the years go by. I am always on the lookout for aged tins of my favorites because I know how great they will taste.
Now all of my favorites get seriously better with age, some categories of tobacco can lose some of their flavors with too much age. Latakia blends for example are said to loose flavor after the 10 year mark. Aromatics can loose much of their flavors after only a few years. It is widely thought that Virginia's, Vapers and Vaburs age the best.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
According to Pease, most of the improvement comes in the first few years and changes are more subtle after that. Not all tobacco blends improve with age. For example, aros toppings fade. And while some sing the praises of decades old tins, I've found the majority of samples of blends that I have smoked from long, long ago, 35 to 70 years of age, to have faded. That said, a decade or two of aging can bring about some nice changes.

acutabovebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2013
Patras - Greece
VA and VA blends usually become better or "different" with age. From my experience with cigars, you have to have a quality product to start with. Good becomes better; bad will only get worse...

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
A lesson I learned in the cigar world is to become familiar with the fresh product first. There's no point buying a tin of something you've never tried and ageing it for 3 years as you'll have no idea what effect the ageing has had.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Good point,Styler. Not only should you be familiar with it, you should like it. Why cellar something you don't like?

I do cellar. I'm finishing a tin of Dunhill Light Flake (the Murray version) that is 10 years old. Lovely indeed. Tins are a lot easier to store for long term work. Definitely makes for a nice extension of the hobby. :puffy:

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Very good advice to try a couple of tinned tobaccos first. If you don't like it when it is fresh, it's unlikely that you will like it because it is aged.
A pretty good bit about aging from a great blender (Russ Ouellette):

http://www.talkingtobacco.com/2012/07/pipe-tobacco-academy-aging-pipe-tobacco/

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Nothing tastes quite like a 7-10yr old tin of Virginia in my book. Smooth, sweet and downright orgasmic. Yup, I went there. :)

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
There are probably three tin choices for every one bulk. But that doesn't mean that one could not smoke bulks happily for the rest of his life. But it seems that most tobacco manufacturers opt to tin their tobacco and blend it with an eye toward a distinction that can command a higher price. For instance, Chenet's Cake. It was being sold for ~$10.00 a tin. Due to its lower price on smokingpipes.com and the discount available for buying quality, that brought the price of a pound down to ~$70.00/pound. But being value conscious, I and others requested a bulk offering, and they replied with a ~$50.00 price per pound (though 8 oz tins have yet to be made available). So for the bulk sale sp is willing to lose $20.00. They are willing to tolerate less profit. Many manufacturers prefer to forego a bulk sale in favor of the higher margin of tins.
So yes, tins are more expensive than bulk, Semois more expensive than most tins, Condor and the other UK plugs more expensive than Semois, and Stephen Books fine aged tobaccos more expensive than the UK plugs. It comes down to how badly you want the more expensive tobaccos and whether you are willing and able to suffer the hit that buying them has on other parts of your budget.
In the end I think good enough tobacco is good enough most of the time. I think the smoke rendered by concentrating on both the flavor of the smoke from good enough tobacco paired with good smoking technique, the sipping and savoring of the tobacco, being in command of the pipe, produces the best smokes.
But whatever the amount of tobacco I have cellared does not cause me to not want adding more. I am currently lusting after tins of Sillem's Commodore Flake, and if I love a tobacco no less than 10-15 pounds cellared is enough. But even 10 pounds costs $1275.00 dollars. Though entirely covetous, I probably will need to buy only 20 tins or 1000g, at about $250.00. And although with a dissatisfied heart, I can live with that.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Time is very much the friend of Virginia tobaccos in general. The more Virginia in a blend, the more time can have positive effects on the smoking enjoyment. The same benefits can be achieved by storing bulk blends in glass containers with air tight seals if done properly. here are a number of tutorials available for doing this. IMHO, you can go wrong thinking about the future. As I type this, I'm smoking a pipeful of McClelland #27 from 1997. It's very, very good.
Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.