PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cracklin' Tobaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2024
Slaughterville, Oklahoma
Had my double CABG nearly 11 years ago. I took time from smoking cigars back then after the surgery. It is a bit of a tiptoe in the first few weeks after. Everything turns into a sign of some kind and one can get crossed up trying to sort out the physical and mental confusion. There will come a day when you'll get up and having a smoke will just seem...right. In a few weeks(or maybe months) you will figure out what works and what doesn't and go from there. I wish you well in your recovery.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Slidell, LA
Crap I really hate generalities! Anyone speaking for all doctors is simply being presumptuous. Mine didn't. She said quality of life is important. But, she did applauded my swearing off for a year to allow my heart to improve. I simply doubt anyone can speak for all doctors. My doctor understands I'm a bit of a risk taker and love my nicotine. So, rather than forbid smoking she simply cautioned me to "listen to my heart" at all times, be aware of what might be going on whether it be shoveling snow, smoking, steak other other usually "verboten" activities.

There are many doctors who take into consideration the patient's age, quality of life and such. Get one! Insist on it if your insurance company is resistant.
My last two doctors going back 24 years, know/knew that I smoke a pipe. I get asked if I've changed my smoking habit every six months and I tell them truthfully how often I smoke. Neither one of them have told me to stop smoking.

We have also talked about alcohol drinking. I don't drink everyday and for the last 24 years, it has been less than 4 oz. when I do. Neither of them have ever said, stop drinking either.

The did tell me to stop eating cake and pies.

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
Crap I really hate generalities! Anyone speaking for all doctors is simply being presumptuous. Mine didn't. She said quality of life is important. But, she did applauded my swearing off for a year to allow my heart to improve. I simply doubt anyone can speak for all doctors. My doctor understands I'm a bit of a risk taker and love my nicotine. So, rather than forbid smoking she simply cautioned me to "listen to my heart" at all times, be aware of what might be going on whether it be shoveling snow, smoking, steak other other usually "verboten" activities.

There are many doctors who take into consideration the patient's age, quality of life and such. Get one! Insist on it if your insurance company is resistant.
The reason I said what I said, and im sure its what @ItsKarl meant too, is that doctors all sign the Hypocritic Oath.......to do no harm.
My doctor happens to be one of my closest friends. We smoke cigars, eat fatty meat, shoot guns, drive too fast......and several other things many doctors would tell you to avoid.
Your post asked for advice, we gave it.
I told you to follow your heart, JUST like your doctor did.
And ItsKarl said to follow your doctors direction..... who said to follow your heart.
Both sound like good advice. :)
Either way, take care of yourself and do what you want.
And again, pipe smoking is generally a pastime for older people.
I was a bit kinder in my previous post but, there are a LOT of pipers who have had heart attacks, a LOT. I knew one who had FOUR heart attacks and still smoked a pipe. Another who had two. Many from the old Smokers Forums most likely know who im talking about.

Reactions: JOHN72

Cracklin' Tobaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2024
Slaughterville, Oklahoma
The reason I said what I said, and im sure its what @ItsKarl meant too, is that doctors all sign the Hypocritic Oath.......to do no harm.
My doctor happens to be one of my closest friends. We smoke cigars, eat fatty meat, shoot guns, drive too fast......and several other things many doctors would tell you to avoid.
Your post asked for advice, we gave it.
I told you to follow your heart, JUST like your doctor did.
And ItsKarl said to follow your doctors direction..... who said to follow your heart.
Both sound like good advice. :)
Either way, take care of yourself and do what you want.
And again, pipe smoking is generally a pastime for older people.
I was a bit kinder in my previous post but, there are a LOT of pipers who have had heart attacks, a LOT. I knew one who had FOUR heart attacks and still smoked a pipe. Another who had two. Many from the old Smokers Forums most likely know who im talking about.
The Hypocratic oath was changed in the 1960's. Doctors today do not swear the same oath that our grandfathers or great grandfathers swore.

Reactions: JOHN72

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
You trust your MD enough to be taking the prescribed medications, why do you want to substitute their opinion for ours? We are all different, as is the nature of individual illnesses/conditions, one person's experience may not be yours, but in the end, it's your life and only you can judge if the risk is acceptable.

Reactions: warren and JOHN72

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Nicotine is a potent vasoconstrictor ie reduces blood flow and hence oxygen.
And it is absorbed through mucous membranes eg lining of cheeks, mouth and nasal passages.
It does not need to be inhaled into your lungs.

As Warren and others have pointed out, nicotine is harmful.
Let us not kid ourselves on this.
You have to decide for yourself if taking the risk is acceptable
I would add to your list that it (nicotine) also prevents the kidneys from properly excreting sugar so not best for diabetics and causes periferal artery disease through plaque build via heavy use over time. All things in moderation.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Not going to give any advice about this, but......
Your doctor will absolutely tell you to not smoke, its their job.
I will also say this......
Over the years involved with the Internet pipe community and in real life, I have known several pipers who suffered a heart attack. They are still here smoking their pipes nearly two decades later.
What does your heart tell you to do? :)
This, and all in moderation

Reactions: Sig and JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My last two doctors going back 24 years, know/knew that I smoke a pipe. I get asked if I've changed my smoking habit every six months and I tell them truthfully how often I smoke. Neither one of them have told me to stop smoking.
Yeah generally doctors always seem to do the same with me. Last doctor told me all my numbers seem better since I started smoking the pipe regularly.
We have also talked about alcohol drinking. I don't drink everyday and for the last 24 years, it has been less than 4 oz. when I do. Neither of them have ever said, stop drinking either.

The did tell me to stop eating cake and pies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
And how is one supposed to distinguish those who know what they're talking about from those who don't?
Your judgement and " do the work, damnit!" The poster's "track record" is a reasonable start. Having some analytical skills will obviously help. Check advice, which seems plausible, against other sources you trust. Do a bit of sleuthing. All sorts of ways to verify what your hear or read. A poster who asserts "everybody" does such and such is obviously suspect. Same for "all/every doctor(s)/lawyer(s)/cop(s)/teenager(s)/teacher(s)/20 year old(s)/politician(s)/Generation (your choice) and etc. on infinitum.

It's a damned good question, especially since very few of the members actually know other members on a personal basis, long term. It's why I put in a bit of background and only what I've experienced. But, no one here actually knows me personally. All another member has to base his opinion on is what I've previously posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.