PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
Not going to give any advice about this, but......
Your doctor will absolutely tell you to not smoke, its their job.
I will also say this......
Over the years involved with the Internet pipe community and in real life, I have known several pipers who suffered a heart attack. They are still here smoking their pipes nearly two decades later.
What does your heart tell you to do? :)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I gave my heart a respite from smoking after my attack. I wanted to give the muscle a chance reshape, let the drs. establish the meds without having to contend with my smoking, allow the heart do some healing, and so forth. Why slow the healing by smoking. You do understand there is nothing, absolutely nothing efficacious about ingesting smoke and reducing the amount of oxygen in your blood.

After the year I started to gradually resume smoking. The heart can heal itself, to some extant. Mine has reshaped itself a bit through meds, moderate exercise, and diet. Healing the heart requires your active participation. Listen to the doctors, weigh the negatives and then decide to smoke or not.

ItsKarl

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 3, 2024
Norway
Only a medical doctor should advise on medical issues, though like Sig says, a doctor is absolutely going to tell you to quit, whether tobacco had anything to do with your heart attack or not. I'll bet your doctor is going to advise you on several things you need to do/avoid doing. As a layman, my advice would be to follow his advice as best you can. At some point you're probably going to lapse occasionally - whether it's baccy, bacon or booze. But at least give it your best, and you'll be able to see what you might be able to give up - or drastically reduce - without losing your ability to enjoy life.

Reactions: JOHN72

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
It may be the nicotine hurting recovery and not necessarily the smoke itself. My coworker had serious back surgery and signed an affidavit that he would not use any nicotine for a year after. The hospital basically put good bone and material into a blender to make a sauce the reformed the degraded spine. Apparently nicotine would interfere with the tissue coagulation and establishment.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Your doctor will absolutely tell you to not smoke, its their job.

a doctor is absolutely going to tell you to quit, whether tobacco had anything to do with your heart attack or not.

Crap I really hate generalities! Anyone speaking for all doctors is simply being presumptuous. Mine didn't. She said quality of life is important. But, she did applauded my swearing off for a year to allow my heart to improve. I simply doubt anyone can speak for all doctors. My doctor understands I'm a bit of a risk taker and love my nicotine. So, rather than forbid smoking she simply cautioned me to "listen to my heart" at all times, be aware of what might be going on whether it be shoveling snow, smoking, steak other other usually "verboten" activities.

There are many doctors who take into consideration the patient's age, quality of life and such. Get one! Insist on it if your insurance company is resistant.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Apparently, I had a big stroke that I wasn't aware of. Only thing I recall was not being able to speak for an hour or so. Since then, I did cut down on nicotine and alcohol. I did stop pipe smoking. I'm sure I'm getting more nicotine due to leaning on cigs. But smoke less than 10 a day and I usually smoke half way. For whatever reason, idea of smoking continuously for 45 min or longer felt bad. So stopped pipe. The situation is improving. For awhile, had some speech problems. Occasionally forgetting how to talk and so on. Still have some issues, but better at managing it.

Honest truth is, I love tobacco too much to give it up. So, I did what I thought was best for myself. First thing I did was get rid of the neurosurgeon who bitched about smoking. Got a new neurosurgeon who understands I'm not quitting and willing to work around it. He suggests quitting, but he doesn't sound like a broken record. I understand smoking and drinking isn't helping, and I don't blame anyone one for the choice I made. But willing to cut down as much as I'm willing.

Now, if I drink two beer, I'm tipsy. At least I'm saving some of the beer money.

It's your life. You have to decide what needs to be done. No denying smoking is bad. If you feel strong about quitting, that will have to be. We only live once. You decide how soon you want to kick it.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Its really hard to know what you mean by moderate pipe smoking. I think Id do a couple of things. You know what your doc will say but Id get in the habit of taking my blood pressue. Relax and do it several times a day. If you decide to smoke a pipe see what it is before, during and after. Id also buy one of those finger pulse and blood oxygen sensors. Id want to make an informed decision. There are several reasons to have a heart attack and we dont know your reason. Blockages are typically diet, genetics, and activity level (I think). Of course BP contributes as well.

IF I were in your shoes and I decided to keep smoking a pipe Id personally do it only in times where I could reall enoy it as opposed to just sticking one in my face and puffing. Less is often more.

Be well.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Nicotine is a potent vasoconstrictor ie reduces blood flow and hence oxygen.
And it is absorbed through mucous membranes eg lining of cheeks, mouth and nasal passages.
It does not need to be inhaled into your lungs.

As Warren and others have pointed out, nicotine is harmful.
Let us not kid ourselves on this.
You have to decide for yourself if taking the risk is acceptable

Status
Not open for further replies.