PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sometimes I mix Penzance with chocolate aros to give them a touch of smokiness. Not bad really.

Dec 28, 2015
Personally I really like Penzance. Is it worth paying ridiculous prices for? No. Is it worth grabbing for retail if you get the chance? Absolutely!

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
I've posted this in a previous thread, but I picked up a pristine tin @ the TAPS Pipe Expo earlier this year.
While trying to find some Penzance I had made a dozen or so calls to various B&M's and found a tin of Margate.
It was a terrific smoke, better than I expect.
A month or so later I picked up the Penzance.
I'd heard about this elusive blend and decided to risk dropping $50 on the tin. Considering what I'd paid for it I decided to save it for a special occasion. When my baby girl graduated from H.S. I decided it was as good of an occasion as any.
My son Nick and I each enjoyed a bowl together that night. HOLY COW was it amazing. Rich Mellow smoke with an amazing mix of flavors.
I also received some Stonehaven as a gift from a very generous piper that Nick & I met @ TAPS, MGTarheel.
I was hooked.
I've since picked up several of their other blends.
Still looking for their Peacehaven and their And So To Bed.

P

pipebuddy

I have tried Penzance and Special Latakia Flake (Germain's). I prefer And so to Bed. I find it much more flavorful and developing nuances and complexity than Penzance.

I have yet to try Margate.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Peace haven is actually one of the harder to find blends just because they don't make a lot of it. Some members here favor it over any other esoterica blends. Also I concur - ASTB is a fantastic rich flavorful smoke !

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
Penzance is an extremely fine smoke. While I have not made an attempt to hoard it, by any stretch of the imagination, I do have about 5 lbs in the cellar + approx 20 tins of the stuff for when it truly becomes unobtanium (as in, ceases production...because Esoterica, over time, is trumpeting loud and clear that they don't give an eff about what is left of their customer base, becoming irrelevant and obscure in the process.). I am not a "hater" at all, but they better wise up if they wish to survive. Wouldn't it just be awesome if they sold the true recipe off for some extreme amount of $'s to a blender who was willing to commit to actually producing it on a regular basis?

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
I love the taste, the almost incense like Aroma,the complexity at every puff ... it is probably the best I tasted so far ... BUT ... If I bring the price people normally pay for this in the equation... then maybe, No Thanks ... I will stick with Nightcap with a few years of age as my best..
Nothing beats Nightcap ;)
I wasn't impressed by Penzance. Got a tin a long time ago, when it was more available, but I only opened it a couple of years ago. Smoked a couple of bowls and jarred the rest with the idea that if I happened to meet a pipe smoker, who has never tried it - I would share, just so they stop obsessing about it.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I had some 4 year old Penzance at the local pipe club last week.
I enjoyed it but I'm enjoying some 4 year old Pirate Kake a bit more.
What really impressed me the other night was my first taste of Acadian Perique. Good stuff!
jay-roger.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I managed to get a tin of Penzance a couple of years ago and was thrilled with it. I thought it was great, but since then I've found other blends that are similar that I like as much if not better. Now when I smoke some Penzance I wonder what all the fuss was about. Yeah I enjoyed it but not as much as I did initially. I've been leaning more towards McClelland's Blakney's Latikia Flake a little more now. Funny how perceptions change over time once you get past the hype.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
While I have not made an attempt to hoard it, by any stretch of the imagination, I do have about 5 lbs in the cellar + approx 20 tins of the stuff for when it truly becomes unobtanium
5lbs + 20 tins?! That's called hoarding......by every stretch of the imagination! :rofl:
I think the most I have of any blend is 2 - 2.5lbs of Nightcap & EMP
I have to admit I'm a 5-7 bowls a week kind of smoker though.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Major jealousy here, I'm still just hoping to strike gold and find an 8oz bag for retail one of these days......

Status
Not open for further replies.