PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Ok I have now smoked 3-4 times in past week. I have the MM cob with Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. I am figuring it out and so far it’s good. Below are some things I have noticed or experienced. Are these normal?

1. After first light my bowl seems to always need another light about every 1/4 of bowl? Tobacco is more dry than moist.

2. Bottom 1/6 to 1/4 bowl never burns. I do remove the top ash after half+ bowl and light it again but I just suck air and it goes out.

3. My bowl is loaded 3/4 - 4/5 full but I finish it in 10 minutes or less. Where is the 30 minute bowl?

4. I smoke in mornings and flavor is pleasant but I do taste tobacco / burley but not sweetness. But WOW in the evening my mouth has this sweet flavor sensation (like mild swisher sweet flavor) that I enjoy and frankly it’s making me not want to brush my teeth.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
1. After first light my bowl seems to always need another light about every 1/4 of bowl?
Are you using a tamper as you smoke?

Bottom 1/6 to 1/4 bowl never burns.
That's often normal.

My bowl is loaded 3/4 - 4/5 full but I finish it in 10 minutes or less. Where is the 30 minute bowl?
You're smoking too fast. Slow smoking produces very little visible smoke.

I smoke in mornings and flavor is pleasant but I do taste tobacco / burley but not sweetness. But WOW in the evening my mouth has this sweet flavor sensation (like mild swisher sweet flavor) that I enjoy and frankly it’s making me not want to brush my teeth.
Probably just haven't had time to let your taste wake up.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't worry about relights while you're learning. The first light is called the charring light and frequently doesn't remain lit long. Dumping loose ash off the top is okay but not always necessary. A little light tamping will keep the unburned tobacco together and keep the ember lit longer. Be patient and take it slow -- sip don't puff much. Experience really helps. A little unburnt tobacco (dottle) is expected, though now and then you may get all white or gray ash, and the amount will increase with experience.

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Are you using a tamper as you smoke?

That's often normal.

You're smoking too fast. Slow smoking produces very little visible smoke.

Probably just haven't had time to let your taste wake up.
I think I forgot to use tamper. That’s probably it. I tamper after the charing light, but never more. I think I actually forgot to tamper after charging light this morning. I think because I anything to keep it lit I am puffing to much.

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
I think I am forgetting to tamper. I tamper after initial char light only. I think I forgot to tamper at all this morning. So that’s probably it.

I must me puffing to much trying to keep it lit.

I guess if I tamper more and it stays lit I can relax on the sips.

This all sounds really normal. I remember my main thing was slowing down. It's hard, you'll be puffing away thinking that you can't go any slower, but alas you can. Now, my bowls last about an hour a piece, sometimes way longer if I am enjoying it.

Very little smoke... some are going to bawk at this, but once you've got everything right, you can see then if you prefer choo choo'ing the bowl again... my guess is that you won't.

You don't mention which blend, so I have no idea what all of your ramblings about burley not sweet, and then too sweet to brush your teeth is about.

AlanH

Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
I see no issue going back and forth between Virginia and Burly in the same pipe. One day when you have 47 pipes maybe. Now I do have pipes set aside for aromatics and if I smoked English I would too.

Reactions: Laurent

AlanH

Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
well I posted in the wrong thread above sorry. I am still finding new things out. One thing that amazes me about the pipe is how different the experience can be from day to day with the same pipe and blend.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Ok I have now smoked 3-4 times in past week. I have the MM cob with Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. I am figuring it out and so far it’s good. Below are some things I have noticed or experienced. Are these normal?

1. After first light my bowl seems to always need another light about every 1/4 of bowl? Tobacco is more dry than moist.

2. Bottom 1/6 to 1/4 bowl never burns. I do remove the top ash after half+ bowl and light it again but I just suck air and it goes out.

3. My bowl is loaded 3/4 - 4/5 full but I finish it in 10 minutes or less. Where is the 30 minute bowl?

4. I smoke in mornings and flavor is pleasant but I do taste tobacco / burley but not sweetness. But WOW in the evening my mouth has this sweet flavor sensation (like mild swisher sweet flavor) that I enjoy and frankly it’s making me not want to brush my teeth.
I've been smoking a pipe (with varied frequency sometimes weekly sometimes not at all for a few months, to multiple times a day) since I was 16 and guess what I often relight a pipe and sometimes even constantly when dealing with a new blend especially a flake that I am too impatient to dry out.
The bottom third is called dottle and is normal. One way to think about it is that it's the pipes filter. You could see if Sherlock was right and put it in a shoe to dry out ;).
Go slower man sip the pipe. It helps.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Lot of OTC are very forgiving. SWRA is a nice and easy blend, but you are smoking way too fast. If you like it that way, that's okay. But with other blends, you might get some issues like tongue bite and so on. Typically, pipe smoking is more of passive smoking. You do very little of pulling, huffing and puffing. You more or less "sip", start the smoke rolling gently and just let it come into mouth, just breath.