PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

franzkfk

Lurker
Oct 21, 2022
Greetings from Czech Republic:)

Please, help me decide which shape of a pipe I should try.
I am a regular cigar smoker and I would like to try a pipe.

I have searched some info, but I am still confused.

I am deciding on a shape that fits my taste. As I understand, the physical property of a cigar/pipe also has its effects on temperature which I do like colder.

Can someone help me with that?

Reactions: coys and UncleRasta

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Welcome from the Netherlands!

To make the answer from @Chasing Embers a bit longer:

People underestimate smoking a cigar. With a cigar the moisture content of the cigar is important, how the cigar is rolled with soft or hard spots, the way you light, puffing frequency (technique), how you get by tunneling, splitting or a uneven burn are all important. How hot a cigar becomes or how cool it stays is all depending on the before mentioned factors or even more factors.

To me a pipe isn't any different. The pipe is the instrument to the tobacco. The least of your concern is which pipeshape you chose when you start out, the most you should be concerned on how you handle your tobacco, how you pack the tobacco in your pipe, how you (re)light and tamp, your smoking technique and how you take care of your pipe after smoking. If we make a cigar analogy; a 5 euro bundle cigar could smoke the same as a 50 euro cigar, but if you handle a 50 euro cigar like shit it will smoke like shit just like the 5 euro cigar will if you don't take care for it. In the long run pipe shape can attribute, but like the previous answer it contributes so little that it is neglictable.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I'd add that humidity of pipe tobacco is usually much less than a cigar, smoking too wet pipe tobacco can contribute to a hotter smoke as well as other undesirable effects. Shape-wise pick something that catches your eye and give it a whirl. There a several reputable brands of pipe that offer inexpensive but reliable starter pipes, Stanwell, Ropp, Morgan Bones, Missouri Meerschaum to name a few. As you start your journey I recommend first trying a codger blend of tobacco (e.g., Carter Hall, SWR, PA, etc.), these are fairly easy to deal with. Good luck.

hyperstar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2022
Formosa, Taiwan
You can purchase wide+shallow chamber pipe & narrow+deep chamber pipe each.
A wide+shallow chamber pipe is suitable for English blends, while a narrow+deep chamber pipe is good for Virginia.
You should give them a try, so you can find out which one is your favorite.

Reactions: yanoJL and franzkfk

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You can purchase wide+shallow chamber pipe & narrow+deep chamber pipe each.
A wide+shallow chamber pipe is suitable for English blends, while a narrow+deep chamber pipe is good for Virginia.
You should give them a try, so you can find out which one is your favorite.
I disagree here. Almost any pipe is "suitable" for almost any blend.
What you write is fine for you, but it's not an accurate statement.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Answering one part of your question, for a new pipe smoker selecting a pipe shape, unless you are in love with one particular shape already, a classic traditional shape that would serve as an all-purpose introduction is the straight billiard with a tapered, rather than saddle stem. I admit, I started with a bent pot with an unusual vertical saddle stem; however I believe I have more of straight billiards than any other shape.

Straight billiards are usually easy to clean, nearly always pass a pipe cleaner, have a sufficiently ample bowl, and appeal to most people in terms of visual appeal, and are easy to clench (hold in your jaw).

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
MSO, that is funny how you like the tapered Billiard best where I like the saddle stem best. Just goes to show every one we all have our favorites and no one is wrong for their likes and dislikes.

But we all know people who like the saddle stem Billiards have much better taste. lol

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I would recommend, in agreement with @cigrmaster, get yourself a Billiard shape, but I would add, get one that takes a 9mm filter, and then get yourself the adapter in case you don't want to smoke it with a filter.

My recommendation is soley based upon the following: my brother is a cigar smoker who occasionally smokes a pipe and he finds the Billiard most similar to a cigar shape; he prefers to use the filters because he prefers stronger tobaccos and it sometimes tones them down,; the Billiard is an iconic shape and if you decide you don't wish to continue a pipe you can always sell it and the filter/adapter
will help with resale.
P.S. Billiard and bent Billiard are allegedly the two most popular and most sold shapes.
P.P.S. His actual preferred preference is the Canadian shape or long shank billiard.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Unless you know a knowledgeable pipe smoker ... you are having to trust your instinct. Pick a shape which attracts your eye, fits your fist comfortably and appears well constructed (finish, drillings and a smooth transition from stem to bit). The true test is in the smoking. That's where you will experience a learning curve, nothing like a cigar or cigarette experience.

Cool or hot is your choice. You will have a rather simple learning curve with regard to loading and smoking. But the selection of a pipe? Purely a personal choice unless, what you choose is defective in its build.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
I would recommend, in agreement with @cigrmaster, get yourself a Billiard shape, but I would add, get one that takes a 9mm filter, and then get yourself the adapter in case you don't want to smoke it with a filter.

My recommendation is soley based upon the following: my brother is a cigar smoker who occasionally smokes a pipe and he finds the Billiard most similar to a cigar shape; he prefers to use the filters because he prefers stronger tobaccos and it sometimes tones them down,; the Billiard is an iconic shape and if you decide you don't wish to continue a pipe you can always sell it and the filter/adapter
will help with resale.
P.S. Billiard and bent Billiard are allegedly the two most popular and most sold shapes.
P.P.S. His actual preferred preference is the Canadian shape or long shank billiard.
Don’t think i’ve Ever seen a Canadian briar i didn’t like. :col:

Reactions: yanoJL and jpmcwjr