PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
I think I've probably smoked 60 or so blends. I also have about 60 or so unopened tins in the cellar that I've yet to try. At my current rate I probably smoke 3-4 tins/month but with an open rotation of 30+, I'm lucky to finish 1 open blend on any given month. I'm actually trying to narrow it down to about a dozen open blends, but it seems that is unlikely. I'm wondering, should I just start opening all of them, sampling, and jarring them? I hate the idea of having 100 or so blends opened and in rotation, but I also want to start stockpiling some of my favorites. But who really knows what those are with so many blends out there?! C'mon box pass! Lol

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I have nowhere NEAR that amount of tobaccos, but I have wondered the same thing. I also don't smoke through a blend very fast because I have so many others open. I want to try new things to discover what I really like, but I don't want 20 different things open at once if it will affect quality.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
If the seal on the tin won't hold or it will be too long and the tobacco will dry out I jar them all up. I have 2qt/1qt/pt/half pt jars. I just fill up the tiniest jar for my desk and jar the rest in the appropriate sized jars.
Edit: Sorry it is 1/4 pint jars I keep for my desk.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
It will usually take me 1 or 2 full tins before I can decide if a tobacco is for me. Cumberland is a perfect example, at first I was very underwhelmed. Then, toward the bottom of the first tin I found a great pipe / tobacco combination. Well I had to open a 2nd tin to see if it was a fluke, and it was not. This is one of my favorite tobaccos, and I was ready to write it off in the beginnig.
Also, I really try to finish a open tin before cracking a new one. I find this helps me get to know the tobacco a little better instead of it being just another smoke.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Go get a case or two of the half pint Bell jars and go to town. I literally have about a hundred different jars of various blends that have accumulated over the years. The half pint jars will easily hold 50g of loose tobacco or 100g of flake.
If its something I want to try but then realize I won't finish the tin within a month, it goes into a jar. Just do not forget to label it. :wink:

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
I forgot to mention open tins go straight to jars, of which I ALREADY have about 7 dozen- my open rotation and cellared bulk.

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
Northernneil- your point is exactly why I'm trying to get down my open rotation down to about 10 or 12 blends. Vs 100+

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
Thanks all. I'm not too stressed about it, let's face it, this isn't necessarily a bad problem to have on my hands. :D

I think I was leaning towards going to town on all them unsuspecting tins anyways, life's too short not to right? I think I just needed a little encouragement from my pals to pillage all those preciouses.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Another advantage to jars is if you really do not like a blend, you can revisit it later. There are a couple blends that I ended up really enjoying after the initial meh.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Another idea is to take a square of wax paper and use it as a gasket between the tin top and bottom. It does a nice job of keeping a blend from drying out. Not as long term as a jar but much better than an unsealed tin...and cheaper!
Mike S.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I took all of the paper tins ones and put them into the large acrylic jars from Wal-Mart and each jar holds 3 tins. I was nervous about that even before I has read this thread.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
Are there any concerns about the tobacco molding after it is put in a mason jar? I am about to start building a stock my self and was going to buy some bulk blend and jar it but I thought about the whole thing going bad or molding

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I use 4 oz jars that hold 2 oz of loose tobacco, and 8 oz jars that hold a little more than 2 oz of flake tobacco. The plan is what goes into the jars is for long term storage.
I try to buy blends that are new to me in 3 oz increments...2 go in the jar and 1 gets smoked. I figure that one oz will tell me to get more of it or not. That method don't work so well for tin tobacco...so if I like a tin, I smoke it and make a note to buy a lot of it. If I don't like it, I jar it up and move on.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
+1 Sparks. I have never had an issue with mold in the jars (knock on wood).
When I reuse a jar, I pour boiling water in it, let it sit for a minute or two, dump it and then let it air dry. I usually replace the lid as well as they are cheap. This is more to remove any trace of the previous tobacco than to create a sterile environment. The jars should be good to go right out of the box though.

Briar Boy

(astrange1)
Apr 8, 2013
I don't have any blends that I haven't tried, I jar all my tobaccos as soon as I open them, 230+ small jars of open blends, cellared stuff is either in sealed tins or large jars which are duplicates of what I have open.

Status
Not open for further replies.