PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dworkin

Lurker
Apr 24, 2020
Folks,

I've bought a few estate pipes recently, with mixed results. Some smoke very sweet and others are sour; cleaning doesn't help. The best smokers have been Peterson, Dr Plumb and Lindstrom.

Is there some science behind the smoking characteristics of old pipes?

A.

Reactions: ofafeather

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
Research salt bath videos for pipes. In short, you soak the stem in grain alcohol. Fill the bowl with coarse kosher salt, then fill the bowl with grain alcohol. The two punch combo tends to leech oils and tars from the briar. Please note, there is more to it than this but this can get you started.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
If you wish to purchase an estate pipe with no hassle look no further than SP.
I have never purchased a pipe from them that was less than advertised.
Their prices include their extensive restoration efforts which may be more than Ebay but It is well worth it unless you really want to spend hours restoring a pipe to it's previous glory.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I bought my first estate pipe from SP, a bent dublin Radice rind with sort of a muscular flower carving at the rim. I was sqeamish at first about buying an estate pipe, but the moment i opened the box i was thrilled. It looked like a brand new pipe. Since then, i have bought at least 50 estate pipes from a variety of vendors, mostly SP. Do yourself a favor and purchase from one of the several very respected restorers. You will be pleased, get good value and enjoy the pipe from the get go.

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
I can't say I've ever had a problem with any estate pipes I've bought here and most of them are sold by sellers who sell second hand junk by the look of it.
What I do is run a few pipe cleaners soaked in whisky or rum through them. Then for the first smoke I usually use Condor if I have it....I suspect it soon sorts out most lingering odours. :)

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Or alternatively learn how to clean a pipe to your standards of clean and buy on eBay looking for great deals on pipes.

I have a strict regimen I put all estate pipes through involving kosher salt and alcohol and good amount of pipe cleaners and elbow grease.

Honestly, there is not secret.

However, a short cut is using Forum sponsoring shops, but even then I put those pipes through my same cleaning regimen.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
I’d buy them from a reputable source. I’ve had no issues with the pipes estates I ordered from SP. Never tried Blue Room but I wouldn’t hesitate to order from them either.

Reactions: ofafeather

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Is there some science behind the smoking characteristics of old pipes?
Science? Not exactly. It comes down to the state of cleanliness of the pipe. I've bought from dealers and individuals, on eBay and through private sales. Regardless of the source I've always needed to take the pipe well beyond the level of cleaning that it was at when I bought it. A dealer can only put so much effort into a pipe before the amount of labor involved costs more than the pipe will bring. Private parties often send the pipe without any serious cleaning, possibly with the expectation that I'll clean it to my own satisfaction. I'll put some hours, or even days, into bringing a pipe back to a neutral state. Dealers and private sellers aren't going to do that.
One of the areas that doesn't get nearly enough attention is the mortise. Even when a seller has done a reasonably good job with the shank airway and stem airway, the mortise may still have significant deposits, and those deposits can contribute to a pipe tasting sour.
There is a lot of information on cleaning pipes, including S/A treatments, retorts, ozone, and cleaning regimens. Unless the pipe has been badly abused or smoked with some sort of strongly ghosting tobaccos, and sometimes even then, with patience and elbow grease it can be returned to a neutral or near neutral condition.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Absolutely second what Sablebrush52 has said.

The majority of my pipes are estates.
Some of my cheapest estates (not NOS) were spotlessly clean internally when received. A few costing over $200 (one over $300) had internals that would put some sewers to shame. The price paid and the rating of the vendor often had no bearing on the cleanliness of the pipe.
The problem often is caked-in tars in the mortise which will require soaking with alcohol and patient scraping out.

Last edited:

Dworkin

Lurker
Apr 24, 2020
Folks,

Lots of great replies about sourcing and cleaning my pipes. Thanks very much.

On a personal note, I have just received a box of pipes left to me by my very close friend in his will. He died of pancreatic cancer a few months go. I have smoked a couple as received and those will be my most precious pipes bar none. One of them is the last pipe he bought and we talked a lot about choosing it at the time.

Hard memory but good.

ATB wishes to you guys,

D.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Science? Not exactly. It comes down to the state of cleanliness of the pipe. I've bought from dealers and individuals, on eBay and through private sales. Regardless of the source I've always needed to take the pipe well beyond the level of cleaning that it was at when I bought it. A dealer can only put so much effort into a pipe before the amount of labor involved costs more than the pipe will bring. Private parties often send the pipe without any serious cleaning, possibly with the expectation that I'll clean it to my own satisfaction. I'll put some hours, or even days, into bringing a pipe back to a neutral state. Dealers and private sellers aren't going to do that.
One of the areas that doesn't get nearly enough attention is the mortise. Even when a seller has done a reasonably good job with the shank airway and stem airway, the mortise may still have significant deposits, and those deposits can contribute to a pipe tasting sour.
There is a lot of information on cleaning pipes, including S/A treatments, retorts, ozone, and cleaning regimens. Unless the pipe has been badly abused or smoked with some sort of strongly ghosting tobaccos, and sometimes even then, with patience and elbow grease it can be returned to a neutral or near neutral condition.
I know one that does, Jesse. Stay tuned. I'm getting just such a one tomorrow.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Hmm, I’m not aware of any Forum Sponsor, and they are awesome sellers and this in no way is a comment against them, that is selling an early 1900’s Meer with Real Amber stem for $40.

Like I posted earlier, the Forum sponsors are awesome sellers and great for a shortcut. I’ve bought and sold to some of them.

Don’t be afraid to learn how to restore your own. Oh, here’s that Meer.

7C7AD0F4-3B7D-4FFB-AE14-1EB9B336644E.jpeg

BTW, this seller was more concerned about a missing hinge pin in the case than the pipe.

2E54630B-B941-4E14-A84C-AEF2B06E42A7.jpeg