PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flat4driven

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2009
I've recently rediscovered a small stash of 5100 that I forgot about. Back when I started dabbling in this hobby, I put ~8oz of 5100 into a swing-top jar and set it aside. Now that I've come across it again, and with the discontinuation of this blend, I'd like to move it to smaller half-pint mason jars so I can extend the aging process while still being able to enjoy some of it in the meantime.

If I open this jar and split into smaller jars, will I ruin the aging that's already taken place? Should I just leave it alone for another few years and worry about it then? I'm mostly concerned about the seal on this jar holding up in the long haul.

I haven't opened it yet, but by shaking the jar, the tobacco seems to still be moist and in great shape.

I appreciate any advice that I could get!

For reference, the container in question:
img_20200224_133847_49580339191_o.jpg

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Nice find!

Unless you have one of these, i'd keep it sealed until you are ready to smoke it (but that's me).

diy-clean-box.jpg

Attachments

• 1582572894689.jpeg
    1582572894689.jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

davidsaulmarshall

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2019
Cambridge, MA
That's a hell of a find. I remember reading something from Greg Pease wherein he said that once you break the seal, the environment inside the container changes irreversibly. If the seal seems to be holding up (and it sounds like it has over the past 11 years), I wouldn't touch it unless you really want to smoke it.

On that last point, it is probably ready to smoke. Conventional wisdom has it that each year you wait now (or past the 7-10 year mark) will only marginally change the smoke. The real magic comes between 3-7 years. I'd say smoke it now and let us know what you think of 11-year old 5100!

Yehhhh, at this point, the greatest change has already occurred. Now, it's just riding the clock till you smoke it, unless you are waiting another ten years.

You can switch to smaller jars, but I am a firm believer that once you disturb the inner environment of that jar, your results are going to be unpredictable.
When I see big jars full of aging tobacco, I just facepalm, because once you pop an aged jar, you just have a window of a month to a few weeks to enjoy that blend with it's sweetness and enhanced natural flavors, till it just looses all of that and become bland.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've heard once you open the jar, you've stopped the clock, but that sounds a little dogmatic. If you want to be a purist and have a rare treat some years from now, just keep aging it, but if you are ready to use some, I'd re-jar it as needed and take your chances. You don't want to be like the people who age a fine wine so long it turns to vinegar. Your 5100 is the best Virginia I know, and you sure want to smoke it.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I do not wish to be a Debbie Downer, but my experience with bale top jars has been poor -- at best. I've never had one hold a good seal. YMMV.

None-the-less, I would transfer the tobacco at this time -- if only to check its condition. I wouldn't be too concerned about "aging" since it's already more than a decade old.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I suspect that jar has gotten the majority of the benefits of aging. Transfer it to smaller mason jars to maintain the condition of the tobacco and to allow you to enjoy it in smaller quantities over time. For once, I do not agree with Cosmic. And that doesn't mean he is wrong, it just means I disagree. I do not believe opening that jar will cause all the tobacco to turn to "shit dust" in the next 3 months.

flat4driven

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2009
Thanks for all of the quick responses! To those that mentioned that it's not best practice to use a larger jar for aging - I agree. I jarred this when I was just getting into pipe smoking, and did not think that for into the process. It certainly wasn't intended to be stored for 10+ years.

Sounds like I'll be moving this to smaller mason jars. I'm sure I'll sneak a bowl of it in the process! ;)

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Yehhhh, at this point, the greatest change has already occurred. Now, it's just riding the clock till you smoke it, unless you are waiting another ten years.

You can switch to smaller jars, but I am a firm believer that once you disturb the inner environment of that jar, your results are going to be unpredictable.
When I see big jars full of aging tobacco, I just facepalm, because once you pop an aged jar, you just have a window of a month to a few weeks to enjoy that blend with it's sweetness and enhanced natural flavors, till it just looses all of that and become bland.
Even if you seal it back up right away?!?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
That type of jar holds a seal fine it is the rubber gasket that fails. If you are going to use jars like that make sure they have silicone gaskets as those last a real long time.
like after 40 years maybe? I have found the silicone gasket bale top jars to never seal properly.
the Bormioli Rocco jars are made for canning.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA

Wait, what? I mean, maybe it won’t age the same way once you pop the seal, but if you reseal it, why would it go bland?

Reactions: Kozeman

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I had an open tin in jar like that that totally dried out in a year. I'd transfer it, because you'll probably have to rehydrate. Hopefully it's good though. Maybe I just had bad luck.

My anecdotal evidence

I opened a 8 ounce tin of Blackhouse from Nov 2011, back in August 2019. I divided it into two mason jars. One Mason Jar I smoked Aug-2019 to Oct-2019.It was fantastic but the Latakia was starting to fade, by the time I finished the jar.
I opened the second jar recently. Latakia note has faded from the tin note, and I could not taste the Latakia for the first few puffs. However as the bowl progresses, Latakia taste comes back, and by the end of the bowl it tasted fantastic as it should.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
My anecdotal evidence

I opened a 8 ounce tin of Blackhouse from Nov 2011, back in August 2019. I divided it into two mason jars. One Mason Jar I smoked Aug-2019 to Oct-2019.It was fantastic but the Latakia was starting to fade, by the time I finished the jar.
I opened the second jar recently. Latakia note has faded from the tin note, and I could not taste the Latakia for the first few puffs. However as the bowl progresses, Latakia taste comes back, and by the end of the bowl it tasted fantastic as it should.
But how will the last part of this be in 3 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.