PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Its yellow and oily feeling and I don't think I have seen them for sale in years. I have been looking for one of those Bakelite baccy holders for ages as well and they too are like Rocking Horse farts!

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
My Grandpa would smoke through a pouch in just a few days so it would never get too dry. And back in the day I'd see people putting a piece of potato in the pouch to keep it moist. In todays world, a pouch makes sense if it's fresh and going to be jarred immediately, otherwise stick to a tin. As I often purchase old stock from B&Ms, I find the old tins are usually only slightly drier than when packed, however if the seal was compromised it's bone dry. Conversely, old pouches are always very dry, so I would not likely purchase old stock in a pouch. I still purchases pouches to jar or smoke, I just don't cellar them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of that bagged tobacco that is sold as pipe tobacco but is clearly equally or more suitable for RYO is quite good quality. Four Aces non-aromatic, given to me by a family member before tinned tobacco was located, is a nice smoking Virginia. It serves for mixing with other blends, condiments, and on its own. It's not McClellands, but is quite good. It's cut a little fine (RYO!) but mixes well ... plays well with others.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Thank you, upnorth1, but not quite what I am looking for. They are still vinyl lined. The old oil skin pouches don't require vinyl, rubber, or latex from my understanding. Maybe Condorlover can verify that he has one of those which does not require the liner.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mac Barens Amphora Virginia, as reviewed by jiminks currently on Forums, is sold by the pouch and really sounds excellent. I think the packaging is losing its stigma and blenders are becoming unafraid to offer this convenient medium for marketing their premium tobacco. The price per pouch is skirting the lower end of tins, just under $8 at a U.S. online retailer, but that's still a fairly comfortable price point.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
Crash, the Decatur roll-up pouches that P&C carries have some kind of whizbang polymer coating that eliminates the need for a liner. They're a long way from an oil skin otherwise, though.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Think I just bought my current pouch of CB Original for a little over $6 at a tobacco/cigar shop near where I work a week or so a go. I have found it can vary depending on the brand between $6 and $10. About the same price as a tin online right now for the same amount.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
After 35 posts, I'm still trying to figure out what the advantages are of pouch tobacco? In general, it is cheap tobacco sold in a pouch. If you really like the idea of carrying your tobacco in a pouch. Buy a pouch now and then, throw away the cheap tobacco and put good tobacco in it to carry. Or use a zip lock. Or one of the many choices of leather accessories that will accomplish the same thing.
I certainly have no issue with anyone liking those tobaccos, smoke what you like. I'm simply saying, the advantage must be in the pouch itself and I'm missing any inherent advantages the pouch offers. Must be a novelty or nostalgia thing which is enough reason to purchase it but hardly an advantage.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I personally think that one of the great advantages that pouch tobacco has is the ability to try smaller amounts of something new. Maybe you might not like it, but you might never try it if the only way you can purchase a lot of the pouch variety available is to either buy it in a bulk form, or...buy a pouch of it. For some guys like me, it's about buying a pouch of something to try that I might enjoy enough to buy it in bulk. At the same time, though, I like the ability to grab a pouch and toss it in my bag and I can typically smoke it right from the pouch. Part of it is not about buying it to throw away the tobacco inside or to even take that pouch tobacco and put it in a bag. That's more trouble than it's worth. Some of them are pretty great products.
A good review of Amphora was just posted today, in fact. Makes me want to go grab a pouch. It might not be for everybody, and maybe my advantage to using it, ain't for everyone either, but hey, that's my take on it.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Carolinachruchwarden, that is a valid advantage. Since the majority of tobaccos aren't offered in pouches, it is a limited advantage, but still an advantage.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
mso, I'm with you & paulie -- nothing inherently wrong with pouch. I sorta agree with 'plug too -- it's how much you want to buy, but I'd also include what, since some blends just don't "pouch" at all. If you want a temp change from whatever your standard is (bulk B&M blend for me), plain CB, CBG, H&H, et al., aren't bad. I need to make myself go online & buy some Sail, since it's been forever since I smoked it & I really enjoyed in BITD).
For me,I guess bottom line is, sometimes pouch is just convenient & whatever my choice is at the moment.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a couple of nice tobacco pouches that I use from time to time, especially to travel. My interest in pouch tobacco is more for the product that comes in the packaging. Of course, I regularly buy tins, bulk, Semois packages, tubs, and other kinds of packaged tobacco. I just think pouch-packaged tobacco is overlooked for its virtues. You can readily pop it in a jar and think of it as bulk, and you'll find many blends sold in pouches don't taste particularly inexpensive. My only reluctance to pouch tobacco is that it tends to keep me from opening new tins or smoking my jarred blends. Otherwise, I think SOME of the pouch blends are good and provide real variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.