PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
White Spot/Dunhill pipes are most certainly factory pipes, made in many duplicates of the same shape and finish, and among the most expensive factory pipes. Whether they are suitable to their price, they are extremely handsome to me. I think the pricing is a marketing accomplishment.

The factory has been the training ground for many superlative artisan pipe carvers, including Les Wood, who made Ferndown pipes for many years. As I note from time to time, in the 1950's, Kaywoodie pipes were the primo pipe on the market in the U.S., and Dunhill's ran second. Neither was as expensive, relatively, as White Spots are today.
Which may explain why old Kaywoodie pipes are sought after by some pipe collectors. There is even an entire forum dedicated to Kaywoodie & Dr. Grabow pipes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Which may explain why old Kaywoodie pipes are sought after by some pipe collectors. There is even an entire forum dedicated to Kaywoodie & Dr. Grabow pipes.
Before SM Frank downgraded the Kaywoodie to the level of a drugstore pipe, and essentially stuck them with that onus they were considered a high grade, on par with any of the top British makes.

When James Stewart's agent won him a highly lucrative contract, Stewart gifted him with a cased Kaywoodie set. That ain't happening because it's cheap crap.

The 1920's and early '30's Kaywoodies that I have are top quality pipes, and the '20's ones smoke in a way that reminds me of '20's Barlings that I have. KB&B had amassed a large supply of quality briar at that time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Kaywoodie, and their sub-brands Yello-Bole and Medico, are still in the factory pipe basement in price, but I believe them to be surprisingly good quality, good draw, and superior insulating properties despite having thin walled bowls.. They are also sharply finished.

From what I glean, the current "factory" is more or less a one-man operation, though he must have a few assistants, maybe part-timers. So the inventory is intermittent, but stays in distribution.

I think they're among the best bargains in pipes. You can get a total keeper for fifty bucks, and a handmade for about $200.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
But maybe giving them some acknowledgement that they exist isn't a bad thing as they may present a good affordable alternative that's been largely overlooked.
While our good friend @Briar Lee is a master of Hyperbole - of course he is, he is a solicitor from Mayberry, I mean Humansville - but he is correct in stating that the Lee does give a quality smoke. Actually, I was a bit shocked myself to see that this is true. I have 4 Lee pipes that I smoke - a fifth one is new in the box so I leave it untouched. Of the four, at least one example is from each of the three generations of pipes that reflect the history of Lee pipes. In terms of quality, I would peg them at 1940s-50s Kaywoodie. Unlike Kaywoodie, the stinger is removable and the pipe can be reclocked without heat and a good turn with pliers.

As for as a pipes go from that time period, Pipes by Lee easily surpass Marxman, Pipemaker, MasterCraft, and other such brands in terms of stem quality and finish and seem to be a bit better than the Dr. Grabows that I own from that period. I am not sure what that really says about the pipes because that isn't a difficult bar to leap over.

I agree with you, Briar Lee's enthusiasm for the brand is actually refreshing In that he helps bring attention to a boutique brand of pipe that most would never learn about or come across otherwise. His hyperbole seems to have single handedly driven up the prices of these pipes on various auction sites. Keep in mind, this isn't the only forum he routinely exposes the benefits of Pipes by Lee. As for as his story telling goes, he would have been at home as a writer for Republic Studios. I understand that much of what he says seems to rub some wrong, but... the old John Wayne B westerns were full of curious information and story telling. Yes, Briar Lee would have made a decent script writer for their studios, all the while smoking his many Pipes by Lee and questionably cured Danish Freehands.

I think I see him now, sitting under the tree out front, smoking a Lee with Gabby Hayes.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Not by collectors familiar with both. I have both factory made and artisan made pipes and find no inherent superiority on either side. My Piersels, Von Erik’s, Fillenwarths, Ruthenbergs, Talberts, Tatums, etc smoke wonderfully well, but so do my Barlings, Sasienis, Comoys, Kaywoodies, Brebbias, etc.
As for widening the airway, I find that’s a choice, not a necessity.
A well performing pipe is a well performing pipe wherever it comes from.
an Artisan pipe is more unique. What I find funny is that looking at how they've been sold most of the time it's more middle of the road factory pipes that talk about being the best smokers. Where it seems the selling point on artisan pipes is more about aesthetics and joy of something not mass produced.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I own both Artisan and Factory pipes, as well as some "workshop" pipes (Castello & Radice).

My Savinelli, Stanwell and Briarworks pipes smoke as well as just about any pipe I own. But I also love the attention to detail that my handmade pipes have.

So if I have to make a decision between a factory pipe or an artisan pipe, and the pricing is similar, I will usually go with the pipe that speaks to me aesthetically. Generally that is the artisan pipe because of one particular aesthetic or another. But not always.

Bottom line, factory pipes are really the foundation of pipe manufacturing and I'll continue to purchase them for as long as the quality is there.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I have learnt, over many years, that I cannot be trusted with expensive items that can easily be lost or broken - lighters, sunglasses, car keys - so I am comfortable enough with middle of the road factory pipes that, not if but when, I leave it on top of my car and drive off, drive over it, leave it in some farmers field for Time Team 2220 to find, I won’t be too bothered about them.
Besides, most factory made pipes aren’t that cheap anymore - like machine made cigars but losing £80 is better than losing £800; besides that, I’d be terrified to smoke a seriously expensive pipe.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
Factory pipes are great. I just re-furbished my Grandfather's Dr. Grabow Silver Duke, and it's a fantastic pipe ~ nice lines, a fairly nice piece of briar, smokes wonderfully. They may not be as fancy as some artisan pipes, but they definitely have an artistry all their own.

Reactions: Michigan_Bill

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
Of curse they had pits. They were an inexpensive, mass produced pipe.

That doesn't make them bad smokers, just not nearly the level of quality from the standpoint of flawlessness that some need to believe and portray.

Amongst the mass of classic American made pipes, Pipes by Lee wasn't even a blip on the radar. But maybe giving them some acknowledgement that they exist isn't a bad thing as they may present a good affordable alternative that's been largely overlooked.
Are there different fillers you use for different pipes and whether it’s a crack, pit or chunk in it?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Are there different fillers you use for different pipes and whether it’s a crack, pit or chunk in it?
You can mix briar dust with cyno and pack it into the pit, let it cure, and sand down.
You can fix imperfections by adding tinted fills and some makers did that. It's not going to affect the performance of the pipe one way or another. You can't smoke pits any more than you can smoke grain. This stuff is on the outside, while what makes a pipe great is on the inside, except for the bite zone. There, it's both inside and outside that make a difference.

Cracks are a different matter, and while they can be mended or filled, you need to exercise caution lest you reopen or worsen the split.

Reactions: Salvaje

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have learnt, over many years, that I cannot be trusted with expensive items that can easily be lost or broken - lighters, sunglasses, car keys - so I am comfortable enough with middle of the road factory pipes that, not if but when, I leave it on top of my car and drive off, drive over it, leave it in some farmers field for Time Team 2220 to find, I won’t be too bothered about them.
Besides, most factory made pipes aren’t that cheap anymore - like machine made cigars but losing £80 is better than losing £800; besides that, I’d be terrified to smoke a seriously expensive pipe.
Time teem 2220 is great except neo Baldrick just isn't as funny.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I read that someone used JB Weld for an inner bowl crack. Any chemical reaction issues with fumes that would be harmful?
I used JB Weld on a vintage pipe that was over-reamed (thin walls and base).
Then I slathered a layer of pipe mud over the inside of the entire bowl.

Smokes great once it cured.
Not aware of any fumes, except that from the tobacco. ?

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
I used JB Weld on a vintage pipe that was over-reamed (thin walls and base).
Then I slathered a layer of pipe mud over the inside of the entire bowl.

Smokes great once it cured.
Not aware of any fumes, except that from the tobacco. ?
Interesting, you not only used it for internal cracks but to build-up/thicken the walls of the bowl. I wasn’t sure if it was an issue as it heats up. Thank you.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
When I think of a "factory", my mind immediately goes to a Ford or GM assembly line, churning out endless cars by fairly random -but hard working- people. Or to China, where endless crap is shat out and put on to ocean freighters to eventually end up washed up on a nice beach somewhere.

But, I suspect the pipe "factory" is wildly different and very much a misleading term, especially in our time.

It would be interesting if this magazine could get some tours of these "factories" to enlighten people about what the term actually means in this modern context. My guess is that it will be a revelation for many people.

I have some factory pipes, but my preference is for a particular artisan. Smoking quality does not play a major role, if being objective and focused on that one quality. It is rather the artistic side that appeals to me, which I am willing to pay more for, because I like it. Some people hate the design I like and wouldn't trade a bucket of piss for it.

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
Need saseini help. Family era and it says Perth on it. 4 dot. Would this be a good oil cured one?
If it says “4 dot” as opposed to “four dot” then it is not a family era pipe. If it is an older family era pipe then this discussion/link may be of interest to you.