PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Jesse, I was really referring to the firmware in the camera, and how well it's integrated with the hardware. Many digital cameras have this wall of firmware between the user and the image. Canon has done a very good job of making that wall as transparent as possible, creating logically placed buttons and assignable custom functions that for most photographers can be set once and forgotten. With the Sony, I constantly find myself digging into menus to access basic functions. That's OK for a equipment/computer geek, not so good for someone who is in it to capture images of life around them.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Ahhh...
I agree. I find my Canon extremely easy to use and its features very intuitive. The camera is loaded with more features than I will probably ever engage, and I tell myself to get on with learning some of its more arcane features. But so far I haven't...
I'm just happy that it doesn't get in the way of what I'm trying to do. I might, but the camera doesn't.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I used to share this opinion but I don’t any longer. In fact, I think there is very little reason to “upgrade” from your D700 from an image quality perspective.
I really do subscribe to this as well. My D700 still has the horses for my courses as does my Nikon NX/Capture/View software. I have several of my images around the work campus enlarged to poster size without any quality issues.
I think my thought process is getting as good quality with lighter convenient equipment. Alas, I probably won't make that leap seeing has how it would be another system change and money spent. I love my D700, I just find myself reaching less for it than I used to.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The camera is loaded with more features than I will probably ever engage, and I tell myself to get on with learning some of its more arcane features. But so far I haven't...
Same here. But I greatly appreciate that all of those firmware options are out of sight until such a point that I want to use them and that the stuff I need is easy to get to. I like that each menu page retains it's last position. So if I scroll through the menu, all of the often-used settings are right there (such as format card, highlight alert, custom wb set) and I don't have to go searching for them. Sony doesn't get that.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Yep, the team responsible for user interface at Sony must have done something truly horrific to get pushed down so low on the design totem pole. Things on this front have improved meaningfully but glacial over the last 6 or 7 years. The tech is so good that it makes them hard to dismiss but I do try!
I’m pretty interested in the new Z series mentioned above. I looked in to the Nikkor adapter and it seems the lenses don’t loose any functionallity or speed.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I haven't made the jump to Lightroom CC, I still use Classic as part of the Suite, CC is in the suite, I just haven't installed it yet, I probably should as I'm on the road a lot for film and photo work and would probably speed things up a little on the post end. I still use photoshop a bunch, but love lightroom for 98% of editing. I did use CaptureOne for a little while, but as soon as Adobe started doing subscription I went back to LR and never looked back.

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
I just upgraded to the "F" this year. Prior to that I was shooting the original X100 for years. The upgrade was indeed a big improvement.
I can imagine. And what ride it must've been with the original! Something you can pass down to a kid to start playing with photography...

Status
Not open for further replies.