PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I didn't want to mention Capture One for fear I might be seen as biased. Along with one other rep,I was more or less responsible for the entire Canadian market for Capture One and Phase One products for over 10 years. I had more than a few conversations and some unique insight into the inner workings of the product.

homewaters

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2014
I do real estate photography as a side business and I have been using the classic version of Lightroom so far. After reading this, I will certainly have a look at CC and Capture One!

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Olkofri nailed it but I’ll underscore natural colors as the most dramatic improvement over ACR when using Sony files.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
But is that not in part a function of the settings in both RAW file converters ? Does the improvement convert to the printed output, or is it a display phenomenon? And can't the adjustments to the RAW file (a little tweak here and push there) in ACR match that of Capture One's native (unadjusted) output?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Not quite: it's mostly due to the algorithms under the hood.
Along with one other rep,I was more or less responsible for the entire Canadian market for Capture One and Phase One products for over 10 years

Are/were you, perchance, associated with B3K Digital?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I was a beta tester for a couple of versions of PS and helped with LR, but that's now many years ago. Shameful how much I've lost in being able to do stuff in PS, both through inactivity and change in menu items and methods.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Are/were you, perchance, associated with B3K Digital?
B3K is owned by my former colleague Walter Borchenko. He started the company after leaving Vistek. Not long after that, I also left. The only difference is, I left the industry completely. Don't get me started on why :)

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I've done some business with B3K as they're the Hensel dealers in Canada. I spoke with Walter over the phone a few years ago, when I needed warranty on an Integra unit. I was under the impression that Jim Anderson owned the company, though.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Jim is another former Vistek colleague and good friend. He does not own the company.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
For years I shot Olympus SLRs/35mm developing my own prints in BW, color and slides. It took me eons to leap to digital but when I did, I went big on the full frame Nikon D700. I'm still shooting that but in the digital age, one is clearly "obsolete" before you know it. Not sure if I'll move on to mirrorless or find another way to skinny down; feel like I'm getting old enough to be bothered by hauling heavy gear around where it never bothered me before.
Humorous story dating back to my Olympus days. I was working on some 500mm reflex mirror lens effort and was appropriately setup on the tri-pod and cable release. Some guy jogs by and stops to ask, "Is that a Canon?" Without missing a beat I replied, "No, that's a camera. A cannon is a lot bigger makes a big noise." Deflated, he merely said, "I asked for that didn't I?" :rofl:

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
In the digital age, one is clearly "obsolete" before you know it.

I used to share this opinion but I don’t any longer. In fact, I think there is very little reason to “upgrade” from your D700 from an image quality perspective.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
there is very little reason to “upgrade” from your D700 from an image quality perspective.

I agree bigpond. However, convenience is now the new reason to update. Cloud storage, ease of backup, syncing, etc, that is the new upgrade topic.

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Interesting to see that a few of us here happen to ply our trade in photography...
Neal, those are some nice photos. And what a pleasant surprise to see that you are shooting with the X100F! When you used the words 'utopian vision of minimalist zen photography', i just had to join the conversation. The joy and pleasure of the X100 series of cameras have to be experienced to be understood. I'm using the old and first X100, so whatever flaws your X100F has, imagine the X100's! It's like driving a vintage car (even though the X100 is only 7 years old)... You need to get to know it and work with it, then it becomes quite magical.
Enjoy your photography with that X100F! I'm sure it will be a long time friend for you.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I agree bigpond. However, convenience is now the new reason to update. Cloud storage, ease of backup, syncing, etc, that is the new upgrade topic.

No doubt! Since your OP I’ve been using cc on all my mobile stuff and it’s super convenient.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I'm using the old and first X100

I just upgraded to the "F" this year. Prior to that I was shooting the original X100 for years. The upgrade was indeed a big improvement.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This is a tremendously interesting thread. I may have to consider one day retiring my Seneca View camera.
Seriously, all of these developments sound like they offer a great improvement in speed, ease and flexibility in digital photography. I don't do that much shooting these days, so I haven't availed myself any of these improvements as I use Photoshop primarily as a digital painting tool. There are better apps available for painting, but it's the industry standard and anything I come up with has to be able to be duplicated by other artists following the style I've set.
I have to say, I'm attracted by the notion of apps that save steps, though I'm so used to manually manipulating images down to the molecular level that it's just a natural way for me to approach a project. It's just part of my background of being one of those pioneers who rode the wave from analog to digital in the 80's. Digital data is just so many 1's and 0's, so many RGB values, and so many color spaces, and it's extremely malleable. It's been a long time since I calculated gamma curves for separate color records and put them through a Houston Fearless.
I'm hoping to upgrade my workstation and drives next year when Apple has promised to finally produce a meaningful upgrade to its Mac Pro line. I hope that it's not their usual brand of bullshit. My gear is 10 years old, though I've cloned and swapped out my drives to keep the internals fresh, and it's getting cranky. But it is still getting the job done.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Jesse, a faster GPU will make your life a lot easier. As image files get larger, my impatience of waiting for previews to render gets shorter. I'm building a new workstation as soon as I get my office de-cluttered.
As for camera upgrades, a lot of the stuff on the image quality front has begun to plateau a bit. Now I'm looking for faster focusing, better ergonomics, and more steamlined, intuitively arranged camera firmware. I know my f-stops, shutter speeds, color spaces and histograms inside out, but I don't want to play nuts and bolts while making images. Just give me the basics that I need in easy to access buttons and bury the rest. For some people, digging around in sub-sub-menues for just the right settings is, in and of itself, the enjoyment of photography. Not me. I constantly have contrast ratios, sync speeds and such running around in my head, but I don't want any of it to take priority over the moment playing out in front of me. Canon firmware/hardware seems to strike a good balance for me in that department. Sony...not so much.
There's another problem for me in seeing a video rendering of a scene (mirrorless) versus and optical one (DSLR), but that's a whole nuther ball of wax.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Canon firmware/hardware seems to strike a good balance for me in that department.
Yeah, I'm very satisfied with the suite of tools that Canon provided. A couple of years ago I photographed the wedding of a friend's daughter. They had hired a photographer, but I thought it would be fun to capture some candids, shoot as much as possible under available light, and look for different situations happening at the event, that their commercial photographer would not be covering. Some of the lighting situations were a bit challenging. I was able to make just about any adjustment I could want, including spot adjustments in color and exposure to selected areas while leaving the original alone. I had fun doing this, the results looked very good, and my friend and his daughter were frankly thrilled. That made for a nice wedding gift.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Jesse, a faster GPU will make your life a lot easier. As image files get larger, my impatience of waiting for previews to render gets shorter. I'm building a new workstation as soon as I get my office de-cluttered.
A faster CPU will definitely be helpful, though my 8 processors do a pretty good job. The real problem is the bus, and that has dramatically improved over the years. Pretty much everyone works with Macs, I'm comfortable with them, so I'd prefer to stay with Macs. Apple had dropped the ball, badly, with regard to its pro level products. Their last Mac Pro, a little garbage can like affair which required a pile of external components did not please me. We'll see what comes in 2019. One way or another, I'm going to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.