PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Yes and no. I smoke about 3 bowls a day but its not a craving like you get with the nails. Some days when I am super busy, I will forgo the morning pipe but this does not induce cravings. Diet Dew, on the other hand, is like liquid crack. That shit causes cravings and I think it blazes the same neural pathways as heroin.

erdnase

Might Stick Around
Aug 16, 2012
Greetings,
I typically only have one at night when I come home from work. That's really all I have time for. On my days off, when I'm in garage making pens, I usually will have 2 or 3. Would I say I'm addicted? Not really. I've gone weeks with out it.
When My Father passed away, I stopped for years. Never even thought about it. I just recently started again about 6 months ago.
My physician has smoked a pipe for 40 years! He's never had any problems. Like he told me, there are a LOT worse things out there!
Onward...

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
eh no I'm not addicted.
When I compare my pipe smoking with my past cigarette smoking, this is really nothing like an addiction for me.
Yeah I have the slightest bit of nicotine withdrawal in my blood, sure, but it doesn't go to my head, if you understand my meaning.
Now I would sincerely miss a pipe, 'twere it suddenly gone!

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Addicted

noun

a person who is addicted to an activity, habit, or substance: a drug addict.

verb (used with object)

to cause to become physiologically or psychologically dependent on an addictive substance, as alcohol or a narcotic.
Having only 2-4 bowls a day, I can go a day or so with out smoking my pipe, but why when It makes me feel good...Since I still smoke cigs that is a whole nother story and those for sure, I'm addicted to

ruraldean

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2012
I recently gave up roll-ups and started vaping. I also went 3 weeks without a pipe and have cut down to possibly less that a bowl a day. The difference is amazing - I really appreciate a quiet, thoughtful bowl now, where I had been a continuous pipe smoker, existing in a permanent haze of smoke and if I'm honest, not really appreciating it.
For me, pipe smoking has never been an addiction, but it has been a habit. Habits take place automatically and often without thinking, and this completely destroyed the point of a pipe for me. Thankfully, I saved myself.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
That's the way I look at it, ruraldean... I have smoked my pipe 5 times in a day and it is nowhere near as good as that one bowl that hits the sweet spot in the early morning or late at night... I certainly find diminishing returns when I make it a frequent habit.
I'll agree that pipe smoking does not cause the instant nicotine cravings of cigarettes, but it can still cause a few pangs and discomfort here or there.
FYI, I'm the same with coffee drinking and similar activities - once a day or less, any more I lose the pleasure in it... If only that moderation applied to my thirst for beer!

Status
Not open for further replies.