Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Look guys.

This is, and always has been a commercial site.

After investing A LOT of money to relaunch the site, the traffic has tripled.

That's great.

Advertisers mentioned that even though the traffic has tripled that they haven't seen any difference at all.

That's bad.

Then I realized that all of the increase in traffic has gone to the forums, where there were hardly any ads.

Well, now there are.

The only ads we have are about pipes and tobacco - the exact same thing we are talking about.

Most other sites show you ads for things you are most likely not interested in.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
The extra ads don't fill me with a deep joy or anything, but this is a necessary part of having such a wonderful resource. Kevin, I say fire away.

Additionally, if you really want to help the site out, click on the links occasionally. Often I'll get to smokingpipes or another sponsor I visit regularly by logging in here and clicking through, instead of going directly. There's no such thing as a free lunch, and this forum is no exception.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Make sure that it actually works. You are trading off annoying your forum users for extra ad clicks. There is a point at which it is actually counterproductive, and you lose traffic and clicks.

Also, I belong to other hobby forums that have ways to support the site that are actually forum-user-friendly, instead of hostile, like extra ads. Membership levels for $10/$30/$50 per year that give you a badge showing you support the site. Maybe a level removes some ads. Maybe you need a gold badge to sell tobacco. Maybe there’s a supporters-only subforum. I don’t know. But there might be money left on the table here.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I admit, that I never remember to visit sponsors from the links when I make my purchases. Crap, it just never crosses my mind.

Agreed. The internet advertising business model is cancer. The measurements don’t capture ad effectiveness, the fact of infinite inventory makes for a race to the bottom, as we are seeing here, and it necessarily makes website features that are hostile to the user base in order to be better for advertisers.

I hope that technologists help enable different business models that allow these things to happen without relying on fickle advertisers or pushing unwanted ads in front of forum users. Unfortunately the big guys in tech are just working on more intrusive surveillance for ads instead.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I've got a few sponsors here on speed-dial (favorites menu) and I'm the world's worst about nailing the sponsors thru there instead of thru this site.

Sometimes, the easy way ain't always the best.

Smokingpipes has these badges that we earn for various purchase goals and awards. I wish they had one for being a pipesmagazine forum member, so they could see that we sponsor them because they sponsor us. Because, I will no longer do online business with those who do not sponsor us. Even if it is to save a few dollars, it's not worth it to me to support a business that would turn it's back on our community.

Mar 1, 2014
Weird, when logged out the banners were there, now when I log in the banners are gone (banner space remains, I am browsing with Javascript Off).

As long as there's no video/audio or popups I mostly don't care about the ads. The only complaint I might lodge is ad-links overtop of user text.
If a forum allows users to insert Hypertext then there's no way to tell the difference between an ad or a user created link and the on topic links created by users all get lost in the clutter.

Last edited:

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I admit usually forgetting to click through to a sponsor from here. I bet a lot of the newer users are not even aware of the importance of the ads in funding the site.

Perhaps we can brainstorm ideas to help guys like me remember to click through without being old nags about it.

Maybe once a week an admin makes a recurring post to remind us to click through when shopping and purchasing? When a new blend is released or a unicorn returns to stock, we can make sure to post which of our sponsors has it?

I don't remember what our online registration form looks like for new users, but it could be another place to point this out to the new users.

I do wish that other sites would ask "where did you learn about us?" but that's on them to change.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
The only complaint I might lodge is ad-links overtop of user text.
If a forum allows users to insert Hypertext then there's no way to tell the difference between an ad or a user created link and the on topic links created by users all get lost in the clutter.

You're referring to what Cosmic posted earlier in the thread.

That has nothing to do with this site. That is a trojan that was installed on his browser when he clicked something he shouldn't have, or installed a toolbar that does it. It is on the user end, on their own computer.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
I notice a very good change with all this, I can now zoom bigger and not have the long thin post frame. Much easier on my eyes and if seeing ads in the middle of the enlarged post frame is the price, then so be it. Thanks for all Kevin!
Carry on carping ;)

Reactions: admin and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.