PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I lit up a cigar - a Perla Habana (meh) - and on the first puff accidentally retrohaled a nice amount of smoke. I typically keep retrohaling to a minimum. It was almost painful. This doesn't happen with pipes. My fault I guess, but it is unpleasant and I worry about messing up my sinuses. I really don't understand how some people regularly retrohale strong/spicy cigars. Anyone else have this problem? Another reason why I keep cigar smoking to a minimum.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I remember when I first read about retrohaling and was really excited to try it. When I did, it felt like I’d gotten the same burn from when you get chlorinated pool water in your nose. I was not a fan, to say the least. I think I even posted about the experience here. So I’m familiar with the burn you’re talking about.

However, I couldn’t imagine smoking a bowl of pipe tobacco now without retrohaling.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
This doesn't happen with pipes. My fault I guess, but it is unpleasant and I worry about messing up my sinuses.
If your sinuses are shot or damaged or sensitive DON'T do it. The 'extra flavour' isn't worth it. It's not about 'manning up' but about living within our limitations. Just because someone's twin brother can lift a 50-kg stone doesn't mean that he can.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I just let the smoke drift into my nose and make sure I'm down wind from the smoke so I get a good nose full. I get much fresher tastes/smells from this than from retrohaling which always smells/tastes a bit muddled to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.