Abrasive Steel Wool To Polish Your Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Does it work or will it damage the briar?
From a thread I've read, I've heard of brushing wheels, but I don't know if the abrasive ones are acceptable for this purpose.
It seems that it's the only thing I have available here at home (abrasive kitchen steel wool).
Would rubbing a cloth soaked in extra-virgin olive oil work as well?

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
This is my pipe as it is now. I just want it a little more shiny.

52937473_2296049360419696_101929795956244480_n.jpg

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I would not recommend using steel wool on your briar. Maybe an old t-shirt, piece of flannel, microfiber cloth?

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
Grade 0000 Steel Wool (Under no circumstances use the stuff from the kitchen it is far too rough!) can be used but you should still be carefull, as this can also damage a pipes finish. Still for Estates with extreme rim darkening and dirt on the outside of the briar, these are real miracle workers and if you want to strip a finish and restain a pipe they get the job done easily. Just be sure to apply little pressure and add some water.
The cloth in oil is a nice substitute to refresh a pipes surface but I would recommend using a mineral oil instead as plant oils can go rancid wich doesnt exactly smell pleasant.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
The cloth in oil is a nice substitute to refresh a pipes surface but I would recommend using a mineral oil instead as plant oils can go rancid wich doesnt exactly smell pleasant.
It gets slippery... I tried it just now. It dries, but still get a bit slippery.
Does it dry more within a couple of hours?
And the stem is also tighter.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I used sandpaper first, and the colour became clearer. I liked the looks.
But I took most of the oil off because it was too slippery...
Should I try it again and wait more time for it to dry?
52893243_864566330550835_5394036215726997504_n.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It looks like you might be trying to get a matte finish to be shiny. That would require sanding with some high grade paper(1500 to 2000) and probably restaining, then a buff with a wheel and white diamond. I don't think any kind of steel wool on briar is going to give you the result you seek. Same for the stem - is it plastic, or vulcanite? Both materials will have limitations (plastic the least favorable).

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
It looks like you might be trying to get a matte finish to be shiny. That would require sanding with some high grade paper(1500 to 2000) and probably restaining, then a buff with a wheel and white diamond. I don't think any kind of steel wool on briar is going to give you the result you seek. Same for the stem - is it plastic, or vulcanite? Both materials will have limitations (plastic the least favorable).
I'm satisfied with the cleared look of the pipe right now after using the sandpaper.
I don't think I will try to make it glossy anymore.
Any possible reasons on why the stem became tighter?

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Any possible reasons on why the stem became tighter?
Did you use any water? Sometimes if you get the shank wet, it will swell a little.
Only other thing I can think of is some dust created during the sanding got into the shank. Maybe give the inside of the shank a good scrubbing (dry) with a bristle type pipe cleaner.

When the stummel swells, it expands the hole size, so that the stem is loose, not tight. We've seen this explained and tested for years on here. My guess is that in removing the wax layer of the finish on the pipe, you got sticky fine sawdust in there, and jamming the stem into the dirty hole has caused that sticky dust to create a layer. It is impossible for us to know for sure what you've done just from words read from afar, but this seems like a great guess.

If I was 100% sure it was waxy dust in the mortise, I would gently scrape it out, but... ha ha, hearing/seeing how you have over reamed new pipes, and now this... I'm not sure it's safe to suggest such to you, ha ha.
Maybe try just wiping off the tenon, then check fit, then maybe use some paper towel in the mortise, check fit, and if it is still tight, maybe delicately use a chainsaw to expand out the mortise size. :puffy:

Check out the water tortured pipe experiment that Ash did a few weeks ago. Plus, it has been stated over and over on here, as well as it only makes sense, things don't swell backwards and inwards. But, Hey, giving the pipe time and trying the fit again later is the least evasive thing to try.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
One reason it could feel tighter is the moisture that lubricates the mortise hole is gone. And beef is right about briar swelling. As wood swells, it pushes out in all directions. But the movement (swelling or shrinking) in the interior of a stummel is extremely small.
One reason I don't leave stems out for more than an hour or two, max., unless it's a spigot.

Actually, I would have made the same argument about swelling when I first got here, but in my experience since and in watching the examples, I have never seen a mortise swell, making the tenon tighter. It has always been the other way around. Do you not remember from Ash's experiment? You were in that thread. I've also read posts from people in boating that explain about how wood expands, loosening the nails and screws in boards and such. But, I'll not try to convince you myself. Keep an eye on threads, you'll see a pattern in swelling a loose tenons.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm out as far as trying to convince anyone on this: There are too many variables. Dryness of mortise hole, expansion of the tenon, and stuff I haven't dreamed of.

ernieq

Might Stick Around
Aug 9, 2018
To get a Matte finish shiny, you really need to use a wheel. (if anyone is interested google the "Beal Wood Buff System"...it's the system many pipemakers use to achive a gloss finish with Carnuba wax) Basically you need to first take off any grive with white polishing compound and then apply carnuba wax using another wheel.
You could try the various pipe polising cloths available, as well.
Steel wool and olive oil? Wouldn't risk it.

E.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
After sandpaper, removing the oil, and using the wool, that's the result.
Clearer, and just a tad shinier.
Not great, but better.
52913781_2872324059660336_7500392317757423616_n.jpg

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
The previous picture was taken with a weak light. This one now in the morning is better. It shows that the finish isn't matt anymore. Not glossy, but not matt.
52911301_2100015510119219_1257270166014656512_n.jpg
[*]

Status
Not open for further replies.