PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjacquin

Lurker
Nov 15, 2010
Okay so I have been doing a lot of reading on here the last two weeks and I a about to bite the bullet and buy my first "name brand" pipe. I went to the local pipe store and loved the feel of the petersons, so that is the way I a leaning. Could someone tell me out the the midrange 100 or less petersons out there which one YOU would buy today? I like smokingpipes.com but anywhere else works as well. THANKS!

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Buy whichever one makes you go ooooh and ahhhh brother. Petersons are reliably well made and always seem to be good smokers so the rest is all up to aesthetic choices. There are so so so so many Petersons for under $100.00 that I would like to own.

buckeye

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 16, 2010
try here. also look at the mario grandi`s on ebay. good prices i have 4 of them.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=peterson+pipes&_frs=1&_sop=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m359

jjacquin

Lurker
Nov 15, 2010
I am so new to this world i really do not have a preferene on shape.. I felt both a curved and straight pipe and loved them both. The only request i have is a wide tip.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Definitely select one that makes YOUR mouth water.....if you haven't reached that point, then be patient and wait until you do... :lol:

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
You can get about any Petersen in either P lip or fish tail style bit. A system standard is always nice. The Shannon pipes run in your range quite easily as do the Killarney . There are also entry level pipes in the classic rustic line. The shape and feel is a major thing to me. I like holding smooth pipes or rusticated ones that aren't overly rough. A good store should be able to order in what you like for a bit.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Ok who else just spent at least an hour on that Peterson site that excav8tor posted? I know I was there for over an hour and 2 glasses of brandy.

jjacquin

Lurker
Nov 15, 2010
Okay.. i think this is the one! Anyone have it? Heard about it? anything to help?

http://www.smokingpipes.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=71827

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I would suggest you do what you just did,....check out the vendors, pick out a pipe or two that you think looks great, make sure the bowl capacity is what you want and ask if anyone here has one and if they think it's a good smoker.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Some things to consider:

Where will you be smoking: you don't want a pipe shape that'll get in your way (eg. if you smoke while stacking things, washing windows, or using revolving doors, don't use a long straight pipe, etc.).

Appearance: A tall billiard, a stove pipe, or a Canadian might look good on a guy with Abe Lincoln's physique, but it would look clownish on a short, stocky guy. A pipe with delicate, slim lines would look out of place if your features are rugged, etc...

Habit: If you like to clench a pipe in your teeth, or need to, get a deeply bent pipe to leverage the weight. If smoking in the den, reading or relaxing, curved pipes are generally more comfortable than straights.
For me, what Collin said about bowl capacity resonates well. I know, you don't have to fill a large bowl up to the top; but you'll soon tire of trying to ignite tobaccos deep within a large pipe -- and there are other issues related to mismatches in bowl size and appetite. It's better to start out with a middle depth and diameter pipe, or smaller, and by your next PAD attack you'll know if you need something different.
Over the years I've discovered that the single most important pipe characteristic predicting my eventual acceptance and continued use of a particular pipe is how the stem feels in my mouth. If it ain't comfortable there, it ain't gonna see much use. If you're shopping at a B&M, take a ziplock style plastic bag, or a latex rubber glove, and ask the clerk if you can use it as protection while testing the feel.
One last point, much aggravation can be averted by testing whether a pipe cleaner can pass smoothly from button to bowl. This will help clear some occasional gurgle without removing the stem -- which requires a cool down period. Same applies to cleaning immediately after a smoke. It means avoiding the p-lip, and staying with a fishtail stem.
(Perhaps someone else can tell you about how awkward "system pipes" are. I don't own one, but I heard you can't tip them to dump out ashes. I dunno, maybe someone can help on that one. If true, I think that would be a royal PITA) See member Searock's post in this regard. He's experienced and quite well informed.
Just my 2¢...

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Arthur, you suffer from the Goldilocks syndrome: trying everything in search of that "just right" pipe. I know how it feels... really no cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.