PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
So, I was browsing the SH section on SPC and SPE and noticed there are a tremendous number of Heritage finishes available and they don't seem to really sell as, out of 190 smooth pipes on SPC, 10 are Dark, Ebony and Terracotta and the rest are all Heritage.

Normally, all the smooth finishes are gone and they're gone fairly quickly as it's the nicer finish for this series. I understand the Heritage finish is darker in color but they do look kind of neat, overall.

This makes me wonder. Is there an issue with this finish? I've never seen so many SH smooths up for grab at a time and they just don't seem to sell very well.

Anyone has bought a SH heritage and would like to share impressions?

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
People like what they like, same with every special release (which seem to be happening more frequently at least it feels that way] the same finishes always sell outright away as ppl find them most desirable. That begs the question if secondary market drives some of these sales, same as with certain tobaccos, desirable because they sellout so fast so more ppl buy them to flip them, it’s a vicious circle.

Bit i digress, never heard anyone with a quality issue of the finish, though different finishes may be more popular than others by region of the world, don’t know.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
The Heritage line seems to be a rather dark stain on pipes that are totally devoid of any grain whatsoever. I think people who go after smooth pipes tend to look for ones with nice grain. Just a guess... I like smooth pipes but I'd buy a nice blast or a PSB before I bought a Heritage. But I do think the Heritages are good value for someone who wants a smooth but doesn't want to spend Deluxe money.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
The Heritage line seems to be a rather dark stain on pipes that are totally devoid of any grain whatsoever. I think people who go after smooth pipes tend to look for ones with nice grain. Just a guess... I like smooth pipes but I'd buy a nice blast or a PSB before I bought a Heritage. But I do think the Heritages are good value for someone who wants a smooth but doesn't want to spend Deluxe money.
This is my thought as well. The Heritage finish is too dark and boring for me. I like the see nice grain on a smooth and prefer lighter stains.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Dark stain on stummels devoid of any character… gets a higher price point.

Maybe they’re not able to source quality briar anymore. New kid on the block and all.

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
Good point, mate. If I were to go for a smooth, I would pay attention to the grain pattern and that would certainly play a role in my decision to buy, or not.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I never understood the Ebony finish Petes, and why they cost more than some of the other finishes. Anyone have any insights on this?
Black finish on a pipe is an objectively difficult thing to do, you have to have pipe completely free of any surface defects whatsoever and the stain has is much more difficult to apply properly than a transparent stain. So its limited by briar quality and craftsman skill.

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
Black finish on a pipe is an objectively difficult thing to do, you have to have pipe completely free of any surface defects whatsoever and the stain has is much more difficult to apply properly than a transparent stain. So its limited by briar quality and craftsman skill.
Yup and also the Dress finish was preferred by high society when they gathered together during opera or other exciting events and the gents were wearing tuxedos, etc. So the pipe matched the clothing, thus.. the Dress pipe with a bright shiny black finish.
So the Peterson equivalent to the Dress is the Ebony (the finish being matte to enhance working class), when the lads went to the pub after a hard week of work in the mines. The pipe was also, incidentally, matching the dirtiness level of spending a day in the coal mine. (yes, I'm making this up).

• Haha
Reactions: trouttimes

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Different strokes for different folks. You can bet that they all sell out eventually. Afterall the company is in the business of selling pipes.

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
Different strokes for different folks. You can bet that they all sell out eventually. Afterall the company is in the business of selling pipes.
Well, I don't know, they've been sitting on the site for quite a while, now. Thus my asking about them.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I have the Heritage in a 4AB, and that was the one I specifically wanted, same on another Holmes, but also have the terracotta on my other 4AB. But my other Petes are other finishes. Several finishes dark and similar to Heritage on some 100+ year old Britwoods, and of course some have lighter as well. I like it, and the grain of all of those pipes is actually really nice and discernible in natural light but sure, not like some other finishes. Kind of like kitchen cabinets, I guess. Ours are a a dead ringer for the Heritage, but the grain on our cabinets is very nice (obviously not briar) but in low light it doesn't "pop".

Having said that, I scratched the Heritage itch but don't seek it out any more in any Petersons, so there you are.

I'm also surprised by the increase in the Heritage finish. The price point isn't higher for that finish, so I assume if there is a "surplus" of that finish maybe there was a miscalculation of demand in the marketing notion -- maybe we'll see a "correction".

I don't get "ebony", which to me is pretty black, but many love it!

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Just bought a Peterson Heritage, still in the mail. This forum is a day too late to help me decide. I must say that I put it in my cart close to a month ago, and only when I got a tobacco notice did I purchase the cart (free shipping). It was sitting there for quite some time.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Heritage finish gives me the blues.
We all know that the great detective suffered from bouts of depression & when I smoke my Sherlock Holmes Original (heritage) I get depressed.
I’m prone to looking at my pipes, in between sips of smoke & moments of thought & contemplation. I used to find myself following the wispish grain, whirling up & around the bowl, a burst of birdseye, here & there.
All this helped forge a satisfying & joyous smoke.
Not so, with the Heritage.
Look into the dull, matte, lifeless finish & you get absolutely nothing.
Nothing but a large blotch of dark brown nothingness……& it darkens my mood & gives me the blues.

They used to say ‘Peterson, The Thinking Man’s Pipe’. If these pipes continue, devoid of any grain & life continue, they’ll have to change it.
’Peterson, The Suicidal Man’s Pipe’.

Blasts aren’t much better. Black! Black! Black as night!!! Lol
What’s going on in Dublin, dark brown & black stain, is that all they’ve got? How about a nice light ‘Tan’ stain or a Deep Plum for a change.

Come on Peterson’s, cheer us all up & give us some grain & colour!
2233862D-AAAF-45C0-BA73-B48BA7A00CA0.jpegE4E63D5C-ECEB-4F6C-B027-671133E06439.jpeg
Not the best photos but you can see what I mean.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I think I have a Heritage pipe. It's one of POTY pipe that almost sold out on the spot due to lack of supplies during initial pandemic. I had to order it from a shop in England. Last smooth and Heritage finish. Not exactly the most beautiful finish. Can't see anything and unlike Ebony doesn't block out either. So it's like "shit, the grain sucks. But should I lighten this section just for the hell of it?" The shape is beautiful, but the finish, I'm still trying to decide my mind if it's a crap or a shit.

• Sad
Reactions: Doctor Chopper