PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

woodrow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2018
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
We all miss McClelland 5100. I used to mix up a batch of 5100 with some perique and it was great.
Im looking for a good bulk replacement, and rather unsure of what to look for.
Will any good red Virginia do, or should it be some special virginia mixture.
Thanks all,
-Bill

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
This has been asked so many times and it’s always the same answer(s). But have at it. I really can’t help, I wasn’t a fan of 5100. I loved a lot of some of their VA’s but 5100 was like Cavendish too me, too light and not enough nicotine for me.

woodrow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2018
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
The blend of that I’m trying to copy is called “Louisiana Red” and I realize this is an actual blend from H&H. I like to stick with one vendor and I do like to blend.
Ill try Sutliff Matured Red Virginia 515 RC-1 and do a little something with it. My guy is also out of perique as well.
Id think that Sutcliff is a good start. thanks

-Bill

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Watch City Simply Red and LJ Peretti RCTR, as well as Sutliff red Virginia aren’t bad either. It won’t replace 5100 but they each offer something unique. I like to mix them with some bright to form a base. Also I’m curious about Watch City Simply Orange… might be worth a look. I’m sure I’ve missed something obvious and I haven’t tried all of the red Virginia mixtures out there available in bulk. Hopefully this is somewhat helpful. The quest continues…

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
The blend of that I’m trying to copy is called “Louisiana Red” and I realize this is an actual blend from H&H. I like to stick with one vendor and I do like to blend.
Ill try Sutliff Matured Red Virginia 515 RC-1 and do a little something with it. My guy is also out of perique as well.
Id think that Sutcliff is a good start. thanks

-Bill
Given that Louisiana Red is manufactured by Sutliff, there’s a good chance that 515 is what they’re using for the base already.

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
515-RC from Sutliff is about the closest you will find in all of today’s available tobacco’s and if you can hold off a while it ages well too and drifts closer again to 5100.

I haven’t stoved this either so maybe that’s what is really needed.