PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
If you simply say "I don't drink" you are almost expected to give a further explanation "why not?".
I don't know about elsewhere, but in Alaska this happens with Marijuana as well. Every time I am offered some I am always required to give an explanation of why I do not want to partake.
I usually tell people it is because I get our company requires drug testing for employees. Which is true, but only for those that work in the field on our BP and/or Exxon projects (which I do not). But being the CEO, if I am asking our employees to adhere to a certain standard it would feel wrong not to adhere to it myself.
It's been many many years, but I do miss it. I won't lie, it would sure be nice on some of "those days"

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I was worried about having to explain myself when I quit drinking, but my experiences have all been pretty cool. If I get any probing after refusing a drink, I just say that I had to give it up, and people get what I mean. Honestly, the "don't drink, but do smoke pot" thing is pretty common out here, but I haven't had anyone really pry when I turn that down either.
I'd probably miss MJ more if I wasn't single, but otherwise, it made me a bit too paranoid and uncomfortable towards the end.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
that sure is some truth about drinking. Tell people you haven't been drinking lately and they'll assume something happened, well something more then a hang over that isn't justified by the amount of fun you had the night before. On the original post idea... If you want to know what's ruined the public perception of pipes and cigars, I say blame those stupid cigarettes. You know those things that shouldn't be called tobacco any more then fake cheese slices should be compared to good cheddar.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Meh, if it wasn't for cigarettes, we probably wouldn't have near the variety of pipe tobaccos available. We're just not a big enough market on our own. A lot of the leaf is the same for both, I imagine. We're all in it together, LOL.
But yeah, it's the most harmful method of tobacco consumption and much of the public's ideas of tobacco's dangers is of the lung disease form more common from cigarette smoking

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
That article was a breath of fresh air. Good to see someone calling a spade a spade. I hadn't heard that they banned 007 from smoking, but can't say I'm shocked either given how things are today.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If you simply say "I don't drink" you are almost expected to give a further explanation "why not?".
I will throw an "amen" on that. The look of disgust I get when I refuse a drink is outstanding. Usually, I just order a drink and then leave it on the table. It's easier than dealing with the peer pressure.
Ah, I see. Thanks.
Well, I don't drink anymore, but I seldom announce that. When asked what do I want, I name something. Coke, coffee, spring water, ginger ale, n/a beer, whatever. Sometimes if I feel my not drinking alcohol will upset the folks around me, I just say "I'm not drinking tonight". That shuts them up, unless they are really dense.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
When asked if I would like a drink I simply say no. If asked for a reason I say it's because I don't want to have to turn in my 27 year AA chip. That generally ends the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.