PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I would think so, but not seeing your speakers I couldn't say for sure. If your outdoor speakers are all 8 ohm and you parallel them to the unit (making 4 ohm) I would think it would do the job. I would certainly try it. The Lepai seems to be rated down to 4 ohm speaker impedance. Looks to be Bluetooth only, no wifi. There are certainly other amps you could look at, though I would recommend avoiding PYLE and some of the other really low end brands. They are pretty much horrible in many ways.
Parts Express also sells a Bluetooth receiver module that could drive a larger amp if needed. You already have a volume control. Or go the route georged suggested and get "The Who" volume levels :)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Neighbor boy taking care of our pets sent me my receiver model

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-RSL2JwCZBSH/p_158STD697B/Sony-STR-DE697.html
Specs are:

Product highlights:
90 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD

Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, DTS Neo:6 and Pro Logic II processing

Digital Cinema Sound modes

32-bit processor

multibrand A/V remote

5.1-channel input

component video switching (2 in, 1 out, 80MHz bandwidth)

digital inputs: 3 optical, 2 coaxial

optical digital output

3 audio inputs and 4 A/V inputs (including 3 S-video and 1 front-panel)

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
Looking at the specs I now better understand the A/B speaker outputs you mentioned. I wonder if these are separate channels or a switched set of bridged outputs. Doesn't really matter I suppose.
In any case, I think the Monster switch was probably presenting a lower impedance resulting in higher volume. I would start with trying to match impedance per the Russound instructions and see if the volume is to your liking. Intentionally reducing the impedance will produce higher volume at the risk of amplifier damage. You will need to know the impedance of your speakers to set the Russound.
If it still isn't what you want there are plenty of good alternatives.

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
I haven't worked on that particular Russound volume/selector but I have worked on the wall mount Russound volume controls. The impedance jumpers are clearly marked and easy to adjust. Your unit should be the same.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Have you considered a good Denon or Onkyo receiver? Get a lot of flexibility with them. Solid units.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks for all the input and advice! I'm back tomorrow, on it next week. Until now, my current receiver has been solid, so if I can get the Russound to work, that's plan A. I'll report my findings.

@elessar - appreciate the confirmation on setting the jumpers, there aren't any pictures of video of that process.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ok, home from the beach, time to dismantle my stereo....
I remove my Russound selector, and it appears that one screw on each side will release the cover. Nope. Pull three more off the back, no go. Remove the eight (two for each wire connection) for the speaker leads. Nope. Pry the sides of the cover out, and the back and get it to barely clear the speaker quick connects. Victory!

But, there's no sign of any jumpers here. I suspect on the board, the 8X, with those two holes must be jumped? (there are eight of these, two per speaker selection)

I figured this wasn't going to be easy. Google of zero help, apparently, I'm blazing new ground or I'm a really poor googler.

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
No it should be easy. The wall mount units are just multi tap switches to set impedance (2x, 4x, 8x). Is there anything on the bottom side of the board? Or anywhere else? I can't imagine any soldering required to adjust impedance.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
No switches on the bottom, with very difficult access. It sure doesn't look like this unit was meant to changed by the user.
I emailed Russsound, I'll see what they say to do.

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
I think that is probably the best thing to do. See what Russound says. It shouldn't be this complicated.
If I was speculating it looks as though there should be a switch of some kind across those contact points. They look laid out for a surface mount switch. It is almost as if they forgot to put the switches on. If their instructions reference a method of adjustment that you are not seeing I would send them the above picture.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Al, if you do go for a new receiver I would look at Denon. I had a Denon amp and pre amp set up in my pool hall. We were always open, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and 14 hours a day for 20 years. That Denon never quit. In my home I have a Denon receiver, it has loads of power when I want to crank some Led Zeppelin or Yes.

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
Upon closer inspection of you pictures I see your volume control is a SDB-4 EZ, not the SDB4.1 that your link points to. I also see that you posted the correct model in you r initial post. I should have read more carefully.
You can find the correct product manual at this link (scroll down to the SDB4EZ):

https://www.russound.com/document-center/20-legacy-products/57-miscellaneous/59-product-manuals
I do not see any mention of impedance matching in this manual. Perhaps Russound will have a better explanation but it is possible that this older model does not allow more advanced impedance matching.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yep, Russound confirmed the older unit I have has no impedance matching feature. I put the original Monster switch back in, it sounds great. Russound did send me a lot of options, including offering me the new SBD4.1 for $100. I'll stick with my current system for now. I definitely appreciate the responses and assistance!

Status
Not open for further replies.