PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
A while back my 5 little grand daughters (ages 8 to 10) were curious about my "smoking room". So I let them come in for a visit. This is unusual because they are forbidden to go in that room as I don't want my pipes used as play toys. They noticed all the pipes and asked me about them. It seems none of them had ever seen anyone smoking a pipe. I explained it to them and let them smell some English blend. With that, they were all ready to leave. puffy

Green Hill piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2023
Last week, I decided to smoke a pipe, walking the dog. Which is not I normally do since I like to sit down and stare into the abyss of reality thinking of other realities I create myself. I had just popped a fresh tin of Squadron Leader and just had to have that pipe even though it was a pretty hard wind.

Walking down the street of my neighborhood, I saw an old lady that also was out walking her dog. I usually chat with her when I see her and started to trod off in her direction when she shouted from afar "YOU SMOKE A PIPE! MY HUSBAND USED TO SMOKE A PIPE!!", smiling like a madwoman. So the topic of the day was not about dogs, but a long history of her late pipe smoking husband (who went away just a few years ago, right before I started to smoke pipe), how she loved the smell, how he smoked when hunting, fixing the car, sitting on the veranda etc. Me and the lady actually bonded better over the pipe than over the dogs. She seemed happier also.
Which made me happier as well.

Reactions: tobakenist
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
A while back my 5 little grand daughters (ages 8 to 10) were curious about my "smoking room". So I let them come in for a visit. This is unusual because they are forbidden to go in that room as I don't want my pipes used as play toys. They noticed all the pipes and asked me about them. It seems none of them had ever seen anyone smoking a pipe. I explained it to them and let them smell some English blend. With that, they were all ready to leave. puffy
And memories begin. They will smell a pipe long after you are gone, and remember this day.

justscience

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2013
Upper Midwestern USA
I often light up in my car in a parking lot prior to my ride home. Twice now (including today) I got a firm knocking on my window from someone accusing me of stoned driving. I roll the window down and ask if it smells like pot to them (um, no...) and then if it looks like a pot pipe to them. Of course they didn't know anything about that. They are bewildered about tobacco pipes.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I often light up in my car in a parking lot prior to my ride home. Twice now (including today) I got a firm knocking on my window from someone accusing me of stoned driving. I roll the window down and ask if it smells like pot to them (um, no...) and then if it looks like a pot pipe to them. Of course they didn't know anything about that. They are bewildered about tobacco pipes.
The world is full of no-nothing morons who love to confront strangers about something they know nothing about just to stir the pot. I don't know about where you come from, but in this neck of the woods that's a good way to get your long nose shot off. puffy

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Reminds me of people complaining about my one-legged Stepdad parking in the handicapped parking, one time some random was yelling some nonsense at him in a Home Depot parking lot and he whacked the metal tube of his fake leg with a ball peen hammer, through his pants leg went the shrill ping over and over he didn't need to say a word, just stared down the dumbfounded dumbass.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Once while driving on though our small town, I was happily puffing some Old Joe Krantz in a Stanwell. The windows were down as it was a fine day in June.

Unbeknownst to me, a motorcyclist was close behind me was getting smoked out by the shear volume of acrid smoke billowing out of my window and into his face. It apparently enraged him. Im picturing my car looking like an old, coal burning locomotive emitting clouds of black smoke into his face.

When a passing lane became available, he overtook me on the left and was yelling and gesticulating from within his astronaut helmet. His impotent raging found no purchase as it was muffled and inarticulate.

Although slightly startled, I waved and nodded, pretending that he was issuing me a great compliment.
He may have been riding a motorcycle, but he surely was not a biker.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
He must have been riding one of those "crotch rockets" and not a real motorcycle. All the guys I know who ride motorcycles rid Harley's, big Hondas and Indians. They are cigar smokers. One said he used to smoke a pipe but it was too hard to keep it from burning out while riding.
+1

The only time I smoke a cigar now is while riding. I still haven't figured out how to smoke a pipe effectively on the highway.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
He may have been riding a motorcycle, but he surely was not a biker.
I mean no offense, but this is such an odd statement to me, where I grew up in BC and Alberta "biker" always meant a criminal gang member, as the HAs and their affiliated gangs were/are responsible for the vast majority of prostitution, underage sex trafficking, drug dealing, political bribery, and general thuggery.

Does "biker" have a positive connotation in the US? Again, not trying to be offensive or political, I'm honestly curious about this apparent cultural difference.

Reactions: Zero and RonB
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I mean no offense, but this is such an odd statement to me, where I grew up in BC and Alberta "biker" always meant a criminal gang member, as the HAs and their affiliated gangs were/are responsible for the vast majority of prostitution, underage sex trafficking, drug dealing, political bribery, and general thuggery.

Does "biker" have a positive connotation in the US? Again, not trying to be offensive or political, I'm honestly curious about this apparent cultural difference.
Biker refers to someone in the motorcycle culture which would include the above but is a much larger group. People who ride casually or ride sport bikes usually don't count, and would more appropriately be labeled a motorcycle enthusiast. What you are referring to is a 1%er.

justscience

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2013
Upper Midwestern USA

"Outlaw biker" might be the regional term for gangsters here.