PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
We were having dinner with our neighbors who are actually older than we are - in their 70’s. The woman commented on how things had changed over years. She pointed to the fact that one never saw anyone smoking a pipe in these days and that it had gone out of fashion. My wife quickly pointed out that I still smoked a pipe. They were very surprised since I don’t smoke out in public.

I assume many of you have had similar reactions?

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
It's very rare to see pipe smokers here in England but have never had a bad reaction from anybody in all my years of pipe smoking, more often than not I get good reactions like that smells nice or my grandad smoked a pipe and I loved the smell, someone said to me the other day "have you just had a bonfire ?" I replied, no I have been smoking Latakia, then a interesting conversation followed, most people are just curious. puffy puffy

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I rarely see another pipe smoker out in public (not counting a pipe club meeting as being "out in public") but usually I've seen one at least once a month. Just last month while out shopping, I saw a gentleman sitting on a bench at this mall smoking a pipe. When I came out of the store he was driving by in his Oldsmobile and had to stop when I was in the crosswalk. I noticed he had a two pipe rack mounted on his dashboard with pipes in them.

I thought that was cool.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Everybody is surprised to find out that I smoke. I don't hide, but I sure don't advertise that I do it either. Mainly I get tired of the health lectures I get being a physician. Yes, I do know smoking is bad for your health.....:rolleyes:

Nobody ever - not once- has mentioned a positive side of smoking. People with terminal anxiety taking pain pills and benzodiazepines, obese people eating away their stress, alcoholics, various abdominal conditions manifesting from psych stress all sanctimoniously tell me I need to quit immediately and I should know better as a physician. (I get the helmet lectures almost daily as well)

All the neighbors, patients, friends, and even strangers all feel it is perfectly fine to comment and admonish me about something they know very little about. I find that strange, as so many other topics are pure taboo. It leads me to use discretion with smoking, just so I don't have to hear another lecture and be judged in this small community.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Nope - never comes up in conversation. I enjoy mine alone on my deck (or with the wife if she's out), in the garage, occasionally in a vehicle, on a hike with a dog (out in the "wild") - I don't know anyone that would even think I smoke a pipe (not that there would be something wrong with being observed, lol, but it is a solitary activity for me, and our kids were long gone by the time I started). Normally, it's something I've set time aside for and it's my time wherever it is.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Everybody is surprised to find out that I smoke. I don't hide, but I sure don't advertise that I do it either. Mainly I get tired of the health lectures I get being a physician. Yes, I do know smoking is bad for your health.....:rolleyes:

Nobody ever - not once- has mentioned a positive side of smoking. People with terminal anxiety taking pain pills and benzodiazepines, obese people eating away their stress, alcoholics, various abdominal conditions manifesting from psych stress all sanctimoniously tell me I need to quit immediately and I should know better as a physician. (I get the helmet lectures almost daily as well)

All the neighbors, patients, friends, and even strangers all feel it is perfectly fine to comment and admonish me about something they know very little about. I find that strange, as so many other topics are pure taboo. It leads me to use discretion with smoking, just so I don't have to hear another lecture and be judged in this small community.
The old family doctor I had from 2000 to 2020 knew I smoked a pipe. He never chastised me or admonished me to stop my pipe.

The doctor I've seen for the past three years also knows I'm a pipe smoker. When I first started seeing him, I had to do the complete physical thing, including a chest X-ray. He hasn't told me to stop pipe smoking either.

Both of them were more concerned with treating the Type II diabetes I developed after I retired from the Coast Guard.

Arthur Frayn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2023
Sonoma county, Calif.
A few years ago, I saw a vehicle parked on the street, with one of those red and white 'for sale' sign in the window.

It seemed to be suitable 1st car for my grand daughter. The older woman answered the door and led me into her home, As I passed through their tidy 1970's decorated living room to talk with her elderly husband. He appeared to be well into his eighth decade.

He was a pipe smoker of the old school. We concluded our transaction and I asked if it was ok to light up, as well. He shrugged his shoulders and said, why not. We walked out onto the patio.

When I remarked that one doesnt often meet pipe smokers these days. He said he never thought about it but it seemed accurate. We got on well and I asked him if it would be ok if I checked in on him and smoke with him- some time.

He said, "No thanks", as he thumbed a wad of Sir Walter Raleigh into his Dr Graybow from a pouch. I assumed he might like a friendly visit from a fellow pipes smoker. He was friendly but not interested in the idea that there was anything unusual or exceptional about being a briar pipe smoker.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I've only ever gotten positive feedback from the general public (at festivals and such, which is about the only public place I smoke) -- typically a generalized praise like "That's so cool!" or "Awesome man!" or "Wow that smells great!"

(On these occasions, usually smoking tobacco forward crossover aromatics, like Northwoods or Vanilla Rollcake)

My parents don't approve, but I respectfully avoid smoking when they're around. On the rare occasions they happen to see, they don't say anything because I heard it all for 18 years and they know that there's nothing further to contribute now.

My in-laws (whom I have a very good relationship with, and whom I respect enormously) are most vociferous against tobacco and alcohol, at all -- seeming most concerned about anything that can be addictive vs. health concerns -- which is interesting, since I sometimes go long periods without a pipe or drink and never crave it, whereas (I think) they haven't gone a few hours without coffee for decades (and openly tease about their addiction to it).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't smoke much out and about. My former tax preparer now retired, a woman, asked me if I smoked, just making conversation. When I said I smoked a pipe, she gave me a big smile and said, "Of course!" So apparently, I seem the type.

However, when I mentioned to another woman I'd known for years that I was a Vietnam veteran, she looked amazed, as if she didn't believe me. I guess I've lost my military bearing, if I every had any.

Arthur Frayn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2023
Sonoma county, Calif.
Once while driving on though our small town, I was happily puffing some Old Joe Krantz in a Stanwell. The windows were down as it was a fine day in June.

Unbeknownst to me, a motorcyclist was close behind me was getting smoked out by the shear volume of acrid smoke billowing out of my window and into his face. It apparently enraged him. Im picturing my car looking like an old, coal burning locomotive emitting clouds of black smoke into his face.

When a passing lane became available, he overtook me on the left and was yelling and gesticulating from within his astronaut helmet. His impotent raging found no purchase as it was muffled and inarticulate.

Although slightly startled, I waved and nodded, pretending that he was issuing me a great compliment.

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I've only ever gotten positive feedback from the general public (at festivals and such, which is about the only public place I smoke) -- typically a generalized praise like "That's so cool!" or "Awesome man!" or "Wow that smells great!"

(On these occasions, usually smoking tobacco forward crossover aromatics, like Northwoods or Vanilla Rollcake)

My parents don't approve, but I respectfully avoid smoking when they're around. On the rare occasions they happen to see, they don't say anything because I heard it all for 18 years and they know that there's nothing further to contribute now.

My in-laws (whom I have a very good relationship with, and whom I respect enormously) are most vociferous against tobacco and alcohol, at all -- seeming most concerned about anything that can be addictive vs. health concerns -- which is interesting, since I sometimes go long periods without a pipe or drink and never crave it, whereas (I think) they haven't gone a few hours without coffee for decades (and openly tease about their addiction to it).
The saying pick your poison comes to mind. Everyone thinks the other person’s poison is the “bad one”

DedHed Piper

Might Stick Around
Dec 28, 2019
Sweden
Last week, I decided to smoke a pipe, walking the dog. Which is not I normally do since I like to sit down and stare into the abyss of reality thinking of other realities I create myself. I had just popped a fresh tin of Squadron Leader and just had to have that pipe even though it was a pretty hard wind.

Walking down the street of my neighborhood, I saw an old lady that also was out walking her dog. I usually chat with her when I see her and started to trod off in her direction when she shouted from afar "YOU SMOKE A PIPE! MY HUSBAND USED TO SMOKE A PIPE!!", smiling like a madwoman. So the topic of the day was not about dogs, but a long history of her late pipe smoking husband (who went away just a few years ago, right before I started to smoke pipe), how she loved the smell, how he smoked when hunting, fixing the car, sitting on the veranda etc. Me and the lady actually bonded better over the pipe than over the dogs. She seemed happier also.
Which made me happier as well.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I smoke in public, where allowed. I've experienced negative and positive reactions over the years. Neither really caused me to react. I don't need to have my wee vice validated. Nor do I pay attention to uncomplimentary/snide responses from others. Particularly true with strangers, negative or positive reactions.

I have been on the recieving end of, "That smells just like my Grandpa." Not knowing if their relative as a good guy or a serial killer, I take such with a grain of salt.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Once while driving on though our small town, I was happily puffing some Old Joe Krantz in a Stanwell. The windows were down as it was a fine day in June.

Unbeknownst to me, a motorcyclist was close behind me was getting smoked out by the shear volume of acrid smoke billowing out of my window and into his face. It apparently enraged him. Im picturing my car looking like an old, coal burning locomotive emitting clouds of black smoke into his face.

When a passing lane became available, he overtook me on the left and was yelling and gesticulating from within his astronaut helmet. His impotent raging found no purchase as it was muffled and inarticulate.

Although slightly startled, I waved and nodded, pretending that he was issuing me a great compliment.
He must have been riding one of those "crotch rockets" and not a real motorcycle. All the guys I know who ride motorcycles rid Harley's, big Hondas and Indians. They are cigar smokers. One said he used to smoke a pipe but it was too hard to keep it from burning out while riding.