PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I also recommend totalleafsupply for their Latakia
I’ve been hesitant to post this for a while, but supposedly their Latakia is old stock Syrian. I’m not familiar enough with Latakia to vouch for its provenance, and the supplier did confirm that it was shipped through Cyprus. Might need some of the old timers to give it a sample and confirm it for us. Now don’t be dicks and hoard it all. Plenty to go around.

Wholeleaftobacco also do an amazing dark fired which I use as a condiment for blending.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Recently, when I want a unique English, I reach for a Scottish. R. Lewis Tree Mixture has been fitting the bill, but is currently being eclipsed by Rattray's Red Rapparee or Black Mallory.

There's also the Balkan route. I'm pretty new to all of this.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
If one is going the Balkan route, I honestly haven’t found many currently available blends that can hold a candle to Balkan Supreme. I didn’t mention it earlier because it’s not much different from other Englishes in terms of ingredients, but it has become the yardstick by which I measure all other traditional English/Balkan blends that are available.

I would add G. L. Pease’s Spark Plug to the list. It has a sweet, slightly tangy element to it from its Orientals that I haven’t found in many other blends. It is quite different in my opinion.

Also, if you count “aromatic Englishes,” then Wilke’s new Lizzie Blood Red English is a good blend, but a bit of a departure from traditional English blends, with the Burley and sweet Cavendish. I’m not usually a fan of aro Englishes, but I have really enjoyed that one.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Though some of us use that as a description of an Oriental forward English, it's really just a marketing term to liken a blend to Balkan Sobranie.
That was my understanding. Well, two understandings. One, there's a lot of fluff and debate in what means what. Two, a Balkan is an English with more (non-Latakia) Orientals in the blend. Or to put it another way, English is more Latakia forward and Balkan is more Oriental forward.

Add some Cavendish and it's a Scottish.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
That was my understanding. Well, two understandings. One, there's a lot of fluff and debate in what means what. Two, a Balkan is an English with more (non-Latakia) Orientals in the blend. Or to put it another way, English is more Latakia forward and Balkan is more Oriental forward.

Add some Cavendish and it's a Scottish.
Sounds legit ?‍♂️
Unless someone markets it differently.?
There’s a good bit of that when it comes to “what’s what.” I’ve given up on trying to corral everything into tidy groups.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Whole leaf red Virginia - 4 parts
Burley or Maryland - 1 part
Whole leaf turkish (prilep/izmir/basma) - 1part
Perique - 1 part
Latakia - 1 part

Make into a rope. Stuff rope into a jar. Fill jar with dried elder berries or currants. Add some water. Bake in oven at 200°F for 4 hours. Throw berries away and slice rope into coins to dry out.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
Drucquer & Son's Blairgowrie. It tastes like what Old Dublin is supposed to be. It's worth setting an alert at Smokingpipes, because when it gets in, it will stay in stock for a couple of weeks. It's just nice to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.