PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Like most here, I have a pretty fair cellar built up over years stocked with mostly the blends I prefer. Now, I'm looking to see if there is a really good English, Scottish, Oriental tobacco that is something *Special*. Not similar to most other good blends out there, but something that is truly a stand-out. Suggestions, opinions requested!

Reactions: PipesRock

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All good recommendations, to which I might add C&D Tuggle Hall, but my real suggestion is to get a few blending tobaccos and tweak whatever you have to suit yourself and the moment. Some of my best smokes have been home mixes, usually adding just one or two condiments sparingly, for a truly enjoyable smoke. Latakia, Perique, dark-fired, burley, Virginia, cigar leaf, unflavored Cavendish, Turkish --a few of these will put you in charge so you don't have to chase too many blends to get what you want. Also, this increases your variety to infinity, since you can jigger the proportions to infinity.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
All good recommendations, to which I might add C&D Tuggle Hall, but my real suggestion is to get a few blending tobaccos and tweak whatever you have to suit yourself and the moment. Some of my best smokes have been home mixes, usually adding just one or two condiments sparingly, for a truly enjoyable smoke. Latakia, Perique, dark-fired, burley, Virginia, cigar leaf, unflavored Cavendish, Turkish --a few of these will put you in charge so you don't have to chase too many blends to get what you want. Also, this increases your variety to infinity, since you can jigger the proportions to infinity.
A good suggestion, and I’ve tried to follow it myself, but unfortunately it seems that blending tobaccos are never in stock when I get ready to place an order. Guess I’ll keep watching for some. A good Perique is really what I’d like to find.

Edit to add: Tuggle Hall is a nice one indeed. One of your posts convinced me to try that one some time back. It has a nice Burley kick to it that’s kind of refreshing after your typical Lat/VA/Or blends.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Well, I got into a jar of some old Nightcap from 2012 that has mellowed considerably. So much so that the Latakia was actually subtle, but pleasant in a more background role. Very smooth and clean. Another bowl enjoyed was ASTB from '14 - very easy and cool burning as well. Age does wonders for lat blends - makes them subtle & creamy. Those two are definitely different.
BTW - what is the topping on ASTB? I got plums and rum at different times. There must be some kind of topping there. Just can't quite identify what it is. ?

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
A good suggestion, and I’ve tried to follow it myself, but unfortunately it seems that blending tobaccos are never in stock when I get ready to place an order. Guess I’ll keep watching for some. A good Perique is really what I’d like to find.

Edit to add: Tuggle Hall is a nice one indeed. One of your posts convinced me to try that one some time back. It has a nice Burley kick to it that’s kind of refreshing after your typical Lat/VA/Or blends.

I grabbed my perique for blending from wholeleaftobacco. If you get it in half pound bags it’s easier to deal with as each bag is vacuumed sealed. Upon opening some people keep in fridge, but I found chopping it up and then drying it out completely before jarring up sufficient. And by completely, I mean completely. My studio stunk like a bail of silage for a week.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Well, I got into a jar of some old Nightcap from 2012 that has mellowed considerably. So much so that the Latakia was actually subtle, but pleasant in a more background role. Very smooth and clean. Another bowl enjoyed was ASTB from '14 - very easy and cool burning as well. Age does wonders for lat blends - makes them subtle & creamy. Those two are definitely different.
BTW - what is the topping on ASTB? I got plums and rum at different times. There must be some kind of topping there. Just can't quite identify what it is. ?

I got plums too. Anywhere from green plums to over ripened plums.. plus latakia.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I grabbed my perique for blending from wholeleaftobacco. If you get it in half pound bags it’s easier to deal with as each bag is vacuumed sealed. Upon opening some people keep in fridge, but I found chopping it up and then drying it out completely before jarring up sufficient. And by completely, I mean completely. My studio stunk like a bail of silage for a week.
Thanks. I don’t know why, but I forgot to look there. ?

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
I've only been in this game for about a year now and sampled about 20 different English blends so far, but as to being unique and stand out flavour vise I would say Gawith Hogarth & Co Balkan Mixture with its sweet top notes of Lakeland sauce. And also perhaps GLP Maltese Falcon with its ginger notes, although I find GLP MF a bit to mild and lacking in the lady N department.

Reactions: oldgeezersmoker

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Blending tobaccos can be "out of stock" too often. You can start with a few that are usually available, like Five Brothers which is straight up burley, unflavored black Cavendish which is often available, and cigar leaf. The others, just keep looking and jump on them when available. Also, size up blends you have as condiments. Some of the bag tobaccos (too often disdained) are quite good like D&R Two Timer, burley toasted twice, that makes a good condiment, or even Semois the Belgium variant. Any predominant Virginia can be used, or burley, or dark-fired, as condiments. Once you get off the railroad tracks of blends, you've got the "say." Do as you will! I like a pottery bowl from Jugtown to mix a pipe bowl or three, but for starters, any old cereal or stainless steel bowl with do. You'd be amazed at how well you can do. Often small quantities and just one or two condiments are the best bet. Three or more requires a lot more trial and error and work, but is good if you have that time.

@badbriar Asked for “unique” English Blends. I will give two unique blends (One I have smoked and another waiting in my cellar). For both uniqueness is defined by omission of components found in other English blends

To me and English blend consist of Latakia, Orientals and Virginia. Perique, Burley, Kentucky, Black Cavendish is sometimes added to alter the flavor profiles.

Going away from this tried and tested English formula - The first one I introduce is Samuel Gawith’s Balkan Flake. It consisted only of 70% Virginia and 30% Latakia. I am smoking this right now in my rotation with 3+ years of age. The Virginia has mutated to a rich deep sweetness supported by bass notes of Latakia and it will only improve from here as it ages more.

The second one is something I have not tasted, but waiting in my cellar. It is Ken Byron Ventures Notorious. It is a mix of Burley and Latakia. It is a bold move of leaving out the Virginia and Orientals. This is unique, but I cannot comment on how it tastes as I have not tried it.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
The second one is something I have not tasted, but waiting in my cellar. It is Ken Byron Ventures Notorious. It is a mix of Burley and Latakia. It is a bold move of leaving out the Virginia and Orientals. This is unique, but I cannot comment on how it tastes as I have not tried it.
Sounds interesting, and definitely a departure from the norm.

F&K Lancer Slices is another one that is a bit different. Latakia and Virginia. No Oriental/Turkish. And the Latakia is in more of a condimental role than it is in most other Englishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.