PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I like some of the Mario Grandi pipes, and this one's shape and vibe would normally not be my thing, but for some reason, this one is. I love that birdseye. Hope it smokes well!

Reactions: BROBS and hawky454

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I like some of the Mario Grandi pipes, and this one's shape and vibe would normally not be my thing, but for some reason, this one is. I love that birdseye. Hope it smokes well!
Thanks my man! Just now seeing your post so my apologies for the late reply.

I got a great story I’ll post later regarding the Viprati pipe. In short my Stepfather (the wonderful man that he is) surprised me with it.

This has been a great month for me! 3 new pipes this month!

Reactions: BROBS

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
So......

Another visit to my parents house, this time the whole family got together, all my brothers and their kids, was a grand family gathering. My Stepdad asked if I had bought the pipe that I was itching to get (we’ve talked about the Viprati a couple of times since he bought me the Mario Grandi) and I told him that I had not and explained that I just couldn’t fit it into my budget. He said, “I’ll tell ya what, I have a few errands to run, why don’t we swing by to see if it’s there, I’ll get it for ya!” Well, awwww shucks, I can’t say no to that, so we ditched the family and headed into town.
When we got there, I knew just where to go, this is a huge antique store but I had the exact spot of where that pipe resided burned into my brain because of been daydreaming of it since our last visit. Much to my chagrin, the pipe was GONE!!! Damn it, I shouldn’t have waited so long. I was not done though, I wanted to turn that store upside down looking for that pipe, they just misplaced it was what I kept telling myself. Anyway as I was frantically looking for this pipe my Stepdad was rushing me, he said, “that’s just the way it goes man, better luck next time, now let’s go, I have to drop a package off at the post office.” With my head down and my tail between my legs I followed him out of the store.

We got into the car, he pulled out a box and asked me to open it up as he needs to add one more thing to the package, I took out my knife, opened up the box and I just about wet my britches, right there in the box was the Viprati pipe with the stand and all staring back at me!!! What a guy! This is a signature move of his, he really likes to surprise people with gift! He went to the shop earlier that morning to buy the pipe knowing that I’d be coming up later for it. Y’all about a roller coaster ride of emotions. I went from talking myself out of getting the pipe to letting him talk me back into it, got all excited again, went all the way up to the shop just to discover the pipe was gone and then the next thing I know, the pipe is sitting in my lap.

All I can say is that I’m truly a blessed man, hell, our family is truly blessed to have him in our lives. He came into our family when me and my two brothers were adolescent punk asses and we saw him as an outsider and we were going to group together and let it be known that he was not welcome... well that didn’t last but two weeks and we just fell in love with the man. Even with our heads so far up our asses he loved us unconditionally throughout it all. He’s recently suffered from a stroke and has had to re-learn how to do a lot of things that we take for granted but he’s always done it with a smile and he’s always chosen to see things in a positive light. I won’t go on as this is already turning into a much longer post than I had intended on, I just want to end this by saying he is a true hero, not just to me and my family but to our country too. He fought in Vietnam, spent 30 plus years in the army and retired as a Colonel. He is one of the funniest, kindest men I know and I love him with all my heart. I am humbled and honored to be a part of his life.

Okay, now for some pics, if anyone has anymore info on this pipe please let me know. I think the number stamped on the side 583. It’s also stamped “La Pipa” L. Viprati. It is huge, the enormity of this pipe does not come through in the pictures. I’m a big guy (6’5), I have huge hands and I can’t even fit my hand across the circumstance of the chamber. It’s a true beauty if you like the Rhodesian style, which I obviously do.
16C82D10-0505-461C-8D6C-D0D6D4394022.jpeg

B1F43E56-A8D7-4339-BD03-72FE85790A98.jpeg
449290F0-2A6B-4280-AE66-3BC7C6BDB828.jpeg
555DAFA6-836D-4669-9D38-A745477B9708.jpeg
E1CC6018-BC65-461F-81D8-274787E5BC61.jpeg

It came with a really cool stand too:

FFA0143C-8D1B-46F3-AC38-7C4488695BFE.jpeg

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Not to rub it in anymore, it’s more like sharing my joy with the only other folks in the world that understand this kind of joy. The three pipes that were gifted to me this month:

5178A52F-4E89-4032-A9F0-56A6F7CC52FA.jpeg
B4324351-6FA9-433E-8279-131E6455DFAD.jpeg

Life is bueno! puffy

• Love

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Also correction on the nomenclature, what I thought was a 583 turns out to be the number 5 and a clover. So it’s a 5 clover pipe. I need to do more research to see what that means. I’m guessing it’s a grading system? Or maybe they represent the size of the pipe. Hmmm.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I like the Grandi pipe a lot. But I ADORE the Viprati. And the story on how you got it is absolute gold, I'm glad you write that all out. Kaywoodie meerschaum sure is pretty, too, in a great case and already coloring.

Reactions: hawky454

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I like the Grandi pipe a lot. But I ADORE the Viprati. And the story on how you got it is absolute gold, I'm glad you write that all out. Kaywoodie meerschaum sure is pretty, too, in a great case and already coloring.
Thanks a bunch man, yeah I’m loving all three for sure. The Viprati is a beast! I smoked it on Sunday night and that pipe lasted a good 2 and a half hours. I still have some left over in the chamber that I’ll be using as my morning smoke tomorrow. I think I could get about 3 hours out of that pipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.