PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I agree with Umberto about going with smaller sized cigars. I believe them to have more flavor.

I don’t agree with Cuban cigars being “crap”. There are way too many cigars on the world market and MOST are crap. I don’t believe this is more common to Cuba than any other countries‘ cigars. Cubans (like most things) are not what they used to be. Rushing cigars to market with immature leaf and inconsistent rolls are much more frequent than in years past. However, I would rather smoke machine made Cubans (which actually are quite good), than most “boutique” cigars.

Last edited:
Reactions: burleyboy

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I agree with Umberto about going with smaller sized cigars. I believe them to have more flavor.

I don’t agree with Cuban cigars being “crap”. There are way too many cigars on the world market and MOST are crap. I don’t believe this is more common to Cuba than any other countries‘ cigars. Cubans (like most things) are not what they used to be. Rushing cigars to market with immature leaf and inconsistent rolls are much more frequent than in years past. However, I would rather smoke machine made Cubans (which actually are quite good), than most “boutique” cigars.

Duane, may I ask, which machine made stick you would recommend? I would like to try some for sampling... When I seek for an affordable hand rolled Cuban, I go for the "Mille Fleurs" by Romeo y Julieta which ist sold for EUR 4.60, where I live.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Duane, may I ask, which machine made stick you would recommend? I would like to try some for sampling... When I seek for an affordable hand rolled Cuban, I go for the "Mille Fleurs" by Romeo y Julieta which ist sold for EUR 4.60, where I live.
Julius, I like that size R&J, too. I think that the H Upmann and Partagas in that size are nice values, as well. I currently like the Jose L Piedra in the machine mades. I used to smoke the Los Statos Deluxe. It was a great machine made with rich taste. Unfortunately, Habanos SA discontinued them a few years back. I recently saw that some non-Cuban cigar manufacture is now using that name. I think I will avoid those :col:.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Julius, I like that size R&J, too. I think that the H Upmann and Partagas in that size are nice values, as well. I currently like the Jose L Piedra in the machine mades. I used to smoke the Los Statos Deluxe. It was a great machine made with rich taste. Unfortunately, Habanos SA discontinued them a few years back. I recently saw that some non-Cuban cigar manufacture is now using that name. I think I will avoid those :col:.

I just checked an online retailer for those Jose L Piedras and see, they're available... Thanks for the recommendations - I'm sure going to try some of these, soon. Prices look quite friendly.

Reactions: dcon

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
One think about buying cigars in Cuba, its the only place where you know you are getting a Cuban cigar. It just may not be what you are paying for.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Before the boom the Cuban cigar industry, 200 years old, was steeped in tradition and commonly produced a high-end product. But even then the soil that grew phenomenal tobacco was being depleted. But then Castro got greedy and forced a lot of corner-cutting such that the cigars' quality took a major hit. But Cubans did bring in more money, not that the workers ever saw it.

A corporation intending to do business in Cuba allowed that they would pay the workers more than they commonly earned for similar work in a Cuban enterprise. The Cuban government said not so fast, disallowing the higher wage; not so Castro and his cronies who enjoyed an opulent lifestyle in part funded by boom sales that destroyed generations of tradition that produced the fabulous cigars for with Cuba was justifiably proud.

Reactions: carcosa

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No one's mentioned the U.S. cars from the 1950's. Though I've never been, I've always enjoyed reading about and seeing the photos of these old babies maintained through elaborate ingenuity and remaking car parts from scrap. Those were the cars my thrifty dad and I used to buy used for the family when all the neighbors were updating their new cars. The rocker panels don't rust out in Cuba, and some of the old luggers will run forever.

Reactions: carcosa
Status
Not open for further replies.