PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Tate

Lifer
Sep 27, 2023
Northern Illinois
It is crazy how light they are especially my favorite which is a Jumbo B Billiard. It's about the size of a Custombilt I have but maybe 30% lighter? Not quite sure on exactly difference but noticeable for sure. Always cool in the hand as well. Definitely a fan!

"Relax with a Marxman"

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Some ruminations on why Marxman pipes color from a solid light tan to a dark reddish brown all over, not just on the stem.

1. Marx oil cured his briar like Dunhill did. The heat forces the dark oils to the surface.

2. The briar is so porous the smoke permeates the briar and gets caught on the polished surface, like a meerschaum.

3. Some mineral or pigment in the briar comes to the surface.

4. Oil from your hands.

5. A combination of all the above.

Coloring is characteristic of a Marxman.

Reactions: Tate

Tate

Lifer
Sep 27, 2023
Northern Illinois
Some ruminations on why Marxman pipes color from a solid light tan to a dark reddish brown all over, not just on the stem.

1. Marx oil cured his briar like Dunhill did. The heat forces the dark oils to the surface.

2. The briar is so porous the smoke permeates the briar and gets caught on the polished surface, like a meerschaum.

3. Some mineral or pigment in the briar comes to the surface.

4. Oil from your hands.

5. A combination of all the above.

Coloring is characteristic of a Marxman.
I think a combination but I have one coloring like a Meer starting at the shank and working its way up

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
More ruminations on Algerian graded briar.

People distilled hard liquor for thousands of years.

But only in America, did somebody put grain alcohol distilled mostly from corn into a charred white oak barrel, was there the good tasting liquor we call bourbon, and it got better the more years it was left in the barrel to age in the attic of the rickhouses, especially.

Charring that barrel, which absolutely must be white oak and no other kind of oak or hardwood, does something to the cellular structure of the white oak.

The attic of those rickhouses traps the most heat. When I visited Maker’s Mark distillery they had all their rickhouses painted black and on top of hills and hired young men to rotate those barrels so each barrel spent time at the top. It matters, or they’d not go to the expense.

All of the flavor and color of bourbon comes from the alcohol circulating into and back out of those charred white oak barrels.

Algerian briar was superior in the same way white oak is superior for making bourbon.

If the cake is kept down to a resinous film, the nearly thousand degree heat of the ember allows the smoke to get inside that century old briar where it gains flavor and a certain spiciness and sends us to heaven when it comes out the other end.

Or, if it’s not so, that should be so.:)

How else can the superiority of really top grade Algerian briar be explained?

Alfred Dunhill was likely first to discover it.

Marx sold the cheapest pipes today on eBay guaranteed to have used it.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Van. Love your stories. I love that you can spin out the science to support your yarns. My dad would love you. A Hillbilly with less teeth than a Dogpatch storyteller, he always makes sure the “science” supports his yarns. No matter how he has to spin it. It’s an art.

There is little science to back anything regarding briar pipes.

It is a subject more religious than secular.

My other passion is shotguns, for which there is also little science to gum up the works, so to speak.

My 29 year old son takes one of my Ithaca Model 37s out to shoot rabbits and squirrels and quail and other game with his friends.

He does that because the Model 37 is the perfect upland game shotgun. It’s still made today.

The 400 is the perfect pipe, to actually enjoy smoking it.

There is an explanation why, but it’s elusive.

It has a lot to do with Marx grading only the best of the best Algerian briar.

By the way, are 400s without a gold band, lunch box specials?

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 2
  • image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 2

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Why accumulating pre 54 Marxman pipes is so addictive:

Let’s say it’s 1939 and Marx walks into his factory in downtown New York City.

There are bags upon bags of old Algerian briar in the upper floors.

He has a good stock of vulcanite.

He uses umber for stain and lots and lots of putty. He has a good stock of both.

There’s a bunch of machinery, the front office girls, and the workers all on the payroll along with the rent or mortgage payment and utilities and advertisements.

His overhead was enormous, being where his factory is located, but it was also more or less fixed. The primary product was $5 grade pipes, but his workers were turning those bags of briar and vulcanite into money, all day every week day.

At some point in the month Marx paid all his expenses. He’d cracked the nut, amd for the rest of the month it was pure profit for him.

This old, nearly black, $5 A size Jumbo cost Marx about the same to make as this 400, except no gold band.

They are both dynamite smokers, and once a customer got a taste for ancient Algerian briar he was hooked.

The key to his success was buying only the best smoking grade of Algerian briar.

That briar was why when his competitors sold genuine briar pipes for fifty cents Marx sold most of his at five dollars,,,,:in the Depression.

IMG_5937.jpeg

We today can buy those old blackened A size pipes for nearly nothing and they smoke on par with a 400, only less briar.

But every one, came from the same bags.

Last edited:
Reactions: telescopes

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Marxman pipes are fantastic. Of the pipes I've had so far, they definitely my favorite briar pipe. Close second is the 1926 Dunhill I fixed up but I got that for a Marxman price on Ebay. I probably won't be getting any more of those for that price hahah
love the five brothers in the profile pic. Great Pipe tobacco. Kind of under rated.

Reactions: telescopes and Tate

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
love the five brothers in the profile pic. Great Pipe tobacco. Kind of under rated.

Five Brothers might be the only surviving American blend the way it was before Prince Albert more or less started our modern flavored pipe tobaccos in 1907.

It might have some brown sugar and molasses in the mixture, not much.

When my great great grandfathers rode for Mr Lincoln, they smoked tobaccos like Five Brothers.

It’s not for beginners.:)

Reactions: Tate and telescopes