PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome aboard! Well, now you gotta tell us how many pipes you have! :LOL:
Thanks to all of you guys for your warm welcome.

As to your question, it's actually not that many pipes anymore. I have kept specific examples to give a short introduction on the diversity and history of pipes to whoever might visit me. These include a couple of clay pipes, a meerschaum carved by Eyup Sabri, some Ropp cherrywood pipes, a couple of Missouri Meerschaum corncobs from all over the 20th century, a gourd calabash and of course various pipes from a few different countries to give a lecture on some of the major brands and their (perceived) carving traditions. I have also kept a few anomalous pipes - from our viewpoint today anyway - such as an old Charatan Underboar, but then again those are pipes I do not really smoke. My rough guess is that I still own about 50 pipes but as with my book collection and LP collection I am absolutely adamant on never actually counting them, deeming this measure the crucial element of the true collector mentality (just kidding - I'm just lazy ;)).

When I still buy something today, it's mostly pipes that I plan on really smoking. I admit to having a penchant for British makers such as Barling, Comoy's, Charatan, Dunhill, Ashton as well as Upshall. I just like the way these pipes look, feel and smoke.

Cheers
aurorasofautumn

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from the Central Coast of California!

Your English is impeccable! Très exacte!

You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

Attachments

• 1614788505436.png
    1614788505436.png
    349.5 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: aurorasofautumn
Welcome from the Central Coast of California!

Your English is impeccable! Très exacte!

You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.
Thanks for the reminder jpmcwjr. I've just updated my location.

A huge thanks also for mentioning my foreign language skills. I've learned from an early age that throwing around words such as "penchant" and "adamant" will usually do the trick and fool people into believing that I am actually smarter and more proficient than I really am. To tell you the plain truth, though, I am actually an English major and teach English (+ German) at a vocational school for a living, so that might explain things.

Grüezi :)

As a German and thus EU pipe smoker I envy you for having an awesome choice of UK and also US tobaccos.

Best regards from northern Bavaria, Stefan
Grüezi Duke of Erinmore
Talking about the availability of certain tobaccos, I guess there are advantages and disadvantages when it comes to living in Switzerland. It's true that "Synjeco" imports G.L. Pease/C&D/Gawith Hoggarth/SG and that "Wagners Tabaklädeli" in Zurich still has some of the admittedly less desirable McClelland blends in stock. On the other hand, I can't buy neither Peterson Flake nor Peterson DeLuxe Navy Rolls anywhere close to where I live....

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
A huge thanks also for mentioning my foreign language skills. I've learned from an early age that throwing around words such as "penchant" and "adamant" will usually do the trick and fool people into believing that I am actually smarter and more proficient than I really am.
That so? I believe the quantity of native English speakers that use "penchant" or "adamant" is negligeable, I only hear something like that from continental English teachers ;)

Talking about the availability of certain tobaccos, I guess there are advantages and disadvantages when it comes to living in Switzerland. It's true that "Synjeco" imports G.L. Pease/C&D/Gawith Hoggarth/SG and that "Wagners Tabaklädeli" in Zurich still has some of the admittedly less desirable McClelland blends in stock. On the other hand, I can't buy neither Peterson Flake nor Peterson DeLuxe Navy Rolls anywhere close to where I live....

Wow, I was not aware of that. Strange indeed, but I think it's one of the mysteries of pipe smoking which STG blends are available on which markets. Same goes for Mac Baren..

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Hi guys. I am a Swiss pipe smoker who works as a teacher at a vocational school.

Ever since I can remember I have been enthusiastic about tobacco, I just love the historical and cultural dimension surrounding our favorite plant!
Furthermore, I like being part of the pipe community and exchanging interesting thoughts with likeminded people.
I am also an avid hunter and think there is nothing better than watching the sun rise out in the woods while I am smoking a nice bowl of baccy and pondering the great questions of human existence.
Lastly, I am also glad to let you know that Wallace Stevens is one of my favorite poets, so this should explain my user name.

I started smoking the pipe around 2014 and am mostly a smoker of straight Virginia tobaccos as well as Latakia-based mixtures. Lately I have also witnessed a reawakening of my palate to the pleasures of a well made Virginia Perique tobacco. When it comes to all time favorites, I'd have to point into the direction of McClelland Matured Virginias No. 22 and No. 24 but these days I carefully guard my stash. I am also partial to Rattray's Red Rapparee and SG St. James Flake but then again preferences often change over time.

I love and collect a lot of different pipes but nothing beats the mouthfeel and taste of my favorite one, a slender Upshall.
Always wanted to make it out to Switzerland -sadly, probably unlikely - I Love Absinthe and actually own some authentic rare art by the great Ernst Ludwig Kirchner - Welcome

That so? I believe the quantity of native English speakers that use "penchant" or "adamant" is negligeable, I only hear something like that from continental English teachers ;)

Even though I hate to admit it, I guess you have a point there....

Wow, I was not aware of that. Strange indeed, but I think it's one of the mysteries of pipe smoking which STG blends are available on which markets. Same goes for Mac Baren..

Yep - that's really one of the major mysteries I have encountered in the world of pipe smoking. At least it's one that keeps life interesting :). After all, tracking down a tobacco you really want and finally being able to buy and taste it can enhance the smoking experience quite a bit (even though of all this is purely psychological).

Reactions: Duke of Erinmore
Always wanted to make it out to Switzerland -sadly, probably unlikely - I Love Absinthe and actually own some authentic rare art by the great Ernst Ludwig Kirchner - Welcome
Wow - you really should check out Switzerland, then. The Val-de-Travers has some great scenery and the Absinthe there is just downright amazing. Last but not least there is a Kirchner museum in Davos :).

Unfortunately, due to the pandemic traveling is not as easy as it used to be. I for my part would just love to go on a nice camping trip in North America but alas...

• Love
Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Wow - you really should check out Switzerland, then. The Val-de-Travers has some great scenery and the Absinthe there is just downright amazing. Last but not least there is a Kirchner museum in Davos :).

Unfortunately, due to the pandemic traveling is not as easy as it used to be. I for my part would just love to go on a nice camping trip in North America but alas...
YES! I would love to but yes the pandemic - I should get out camping this Spring;)

Status
Not open for further replies.