PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Hi,
I live very close to the Long Island Sound in NY. That's where I usually light up. Lately, the winds have picked up and I'm having trouble lighting up with either my bic or zippo. Is there a stronger soft flame lighter out there?
Thanks

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Zippo or Bic are the best wind resistant pipe lighters that I’ve come across. You really don’t want a stronger flame than those or you’ll risk burning out your pipe. It’s been hella windy here lately and the Zippo gets the job done. I’m guessing you can’t smoke indoors?

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
What kind of shape is your Zippo's wick in
Ahhh! Not too good. I will order some new ones. That should do it I hope. Thanks Anthony
Oh and I'm using the horizontal flame chimney for pipes.

Jan 8, 2013
Ahhh! Not too good. I will order some new ones. That should do it I hope. Thanks Anthony
Oh and I'm using the horizontal flame chimney for pipes.
They have a pretty long wick. Unless you've already done so, you should be able to pull it up a little bit, about the same length as what's already visible, and trim the old part off with some wire cutters. If you're using the regular (non pipe chimney), some people have good results pulling the wick just a tad above the chimney. In either case, trim off the old part. You're welcome :puffy:

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Zippo (pipe type) is my everyday lighter. For travelling I use my Brebbia gas pipe lighter. Both are excellent quality and does the job very well.

piperusak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018

piperusak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
i use turbo lighter. three flames simultaneously. lights a pipe instantly. and the wind is not a hindrance

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Just a cautionary note - if you use a torch-flame lighter, you may/will void any warranty that the manufacturer supplies. There are ways to determine if a burnout is caused by a torch and no replacements can be made.
Russ

jrbjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2019
Have you thought about the Douglas Field Lighter? I have good luck in windy conditions, though I do not live by the water.

oldmancrow

Lurker
Jun 11, 2019
There are more expensive options but most lighters kinda come and go. (Calibri). I use a zippo with a butane insert. I also have a few old vintage shop finds. I have an old kingstar I gave Six bucks for. It’s a soft flame, but it’ll make its own wind if you turn it up. It’s perfect for your scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.