PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beenjammin

Lurker
Jul 15, 2016
First, a disclaimer: I am a relative beginner, but this seemed, to me, to be less of a question about beginner processes and rather more like general discussion , but I put it here anyway.
When I recently joined the pipe world, as one who practices gourmet cooking, and appreciates craft beers, fine wines, and good spirits, I looked forward to the incredible variety present. I was quite peeved by the FDA rulings since it will take me years, as an infrequent smoker, to meander through blends. So I came up with a plan, much like the plans of many here. I would stock up.
And I have done so. It is a rather modest collection, but I'm also in college and tuition at a private school is, to put things mildly, really damn expensive.
Here is where I would value your opinion. In what order would you recommend smoking these (list below)? I have multiples of several blends so these I would like to space out (so that I may appreciate aging differences), but other than that I'm open to your suggestions. Also, I will probably have about two tins open at a time and these will probably last a couple months.
I realize that not all are going to be gone, but there is limited selection near me, and I'm too cheap to pay shipping XD. There are a lot of Dunhill, and while they have existed for a while, I doubt it will escape the FDA that they changed manufacturer and some were not immediately re-started. (Flake was re-made quite recently by Scandinavian Tobacco)
Also open to suggestions of things which are gravely missing...
Thanks!
Here's the list for consideration:
Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake -- 3 oz (bulk in mason jar)
Frog Morton Across the Pond -- 2 x 150 gr tin
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe -- 1 x tin (In mason jar. Currently smoking)
Dunhill Flake -- 3 x tin
Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls -- 1 x tin
Dunhill London Mixture -- 1 x tin
Dunhill Standard Mixture -- 2 x tin
Dunhill The Royal Yacht -- 1 x tin
Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture -- 2 x tin
Dunhill Nightcap -- 1 x tin
Solani Virginia Flake w. Perique -- 1 x tin
Peterson University Flake -- 1 x tin
Drew Estate 7th Avenue Blonde -- 1 x tin
Sutliff Westminister -- 1 x tin
Sutilff Academy -- 1 x tin

beenjammin

Lurker
Jul 15, 2016
Unfortunately none of the local shops carry any of these. I guess I will pony up soon and order.

beenjammin

Lurker
Jul 15, 2016
Skydog, Thanks for your suggestion. That is what I had originally thought.
However, I figured out that, at the rate I smoke, what I have could last 20-25 years. I plan on maintaining this rate, so my main question is not what to add, but, rather, What should I save for longer? and What should I smoke sooner? Basically, since I will have these for a long time, I might as well save the ones which age well for a time when they are in their prime.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
FYI, Virginia leaf ages especially well. Aromatics and blends containing Latakia (that is the Lat itself) don't age well. The flavors fade. Burley stays constant, not improving but not diminishing. Likely, you do not want to smoke only Lat blends, but at least keep them moving through your rotation so they don't go flat.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
One idea about your B&M, if there are new blends you want you can likely ask them if they can order for you and avoid the shipping.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Please tell me this is a troll/joke thread? You're saying that tobacco would last 20 years? So you're smoking one bowl per month and expect to maintain that pace for two decades? And you can't afford shipping, but you can afford to pay 200% of internet pricing? Thus you likely spent $400 for 20 tins instead of paying $200 with.....free shipping? And because of the FDA regs you bought nothing but blends that aren't affected by FDA regs?
C'mon man!!! :crazy:
:puffpipe:

beenjammin

Lurker
Jul 15, 2016
jmatt, I assure I am not a troll, nor am I a complete berk.
First, addressing pricing, the B&M where I am purchasing prices tins at the same price (or cheaper) than online. For instance, Dunhill Flake (I will use this blend as an example in several places) is $10.88 on Pipes and Cigars and is $9.99 at Sam's Place, the B&M.
Second, addressing rate, as I am studying Engineering Physics, which involves ample math, I promise my calculation is not off. If I do become a more brisk smoker, I will still be post-grad-school, and I should be in a financial position which would allow more robust purchase of vintage and current tins.
As for FDA, while an original guiding principle, took a back seat to taste.
Some of my choices may be misguided, but that is why I came here.
So, in conclusion, thank you all for your suggestions. :)

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
You support a local B&M and have decided that you only want to smoke one or two bowls a week?? Come on man.... This is a communist pipe forum we're everyone smokes the equal amount

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
yea i tried to save some tins and shoot i end up smoking most of my tobacco, you should buy a bulk of your favorite kind, that is if you have a favorite, I have lots of lane 1q and I tend to smoke that instead of my tins, my cellar is not that big but I am trying to buy the blends that might be discontinued for example McClellan Christmas Cheer, i had missed out on that blend and will be hard to find.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I wanna smoke pipe most all time but obviously something is always interrupting me and then I shall be satisfied with only some 2-3 medsized bowlful per day + cigars and occasionally cigarettes in addition, what a pity,aint it,

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Hey, I personally would add

FrogMorton Cellar

Seattle Pipe Club (Deception Pass, Potlatch)

Samuel Gawith (Perfection, ...)

GL Pease (Old London Series)

Orlik Golden Flakes
and actually lots of others as well ...

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
Just keep doing what your doing.
It doesn't really matter what order you try them in. Sample all of them in short

order and return to what you liked most. Its not like you are collecting toys in

the original packaging.
This is an investment in pleasure not profit.
When I find one I don't care for, I gift it to my BIL. He thinks I'm doing him a favor.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
When I find one I don't care for, I gift it to my BIL. He thinks I'm doing him a favor.

I should be doing more of that.

It's true that it could be a nice gesture, it wouldn't take up space, and if I don't like it, why keep it!!

Great idea.
Does that make me a douche bag ? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.