PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
in no way am I wishing to draw attention to myself by posting this. Rather, I hope that by sharing this, it might well save you from a similar experience or save your life.
On September 27th, I came out to the garage to smoke a bowl and read, as is my usual Practice. To make my hobby space warmer, I purchased an insulated tarp to hang and hopefully save on winter heating costs. To do this it was necessary to climb up onto the upper most useable rung of my eight foot ladder. A friend had said he would come over the next day to help me but, in my foolishness I convinced myself that I could do it myself. Luckily for me I had removed everything from my shop.
I fell off and landed feet first on the ground and then collapsed onto the garage floor. I knew instantly that I had damaged something on my left ankle. I lay there in a collapsed heap in an agony of intense pain, wondering what to do. Very fortunately for me my phone was in reaching distance. I called my daughter and then the ambulance.
I ended up breaking or fracturing the Calcaneus bon located on the very underside of the heel. As the orthopaedic surgeon said: it’s probably the worst bone in the human body to break because of its location. That was seven weeks ago and by the grace of God I’m still here. I am fortunate to have learnt my lesson and live to talk about it.
The only message I want to pass on to fellow brothers is always, always, always have a spotter and helper around to hold onto the ladder and to have one hand on you as well.
Never assume you can do something or that it won’t happen to me.
Anyway, I hope this little story will prevent you in a similar situation to stop and exam what you wish to do and maybe, just maybe prevent you from having a serious accident.
Chris in Red Deer, Alberta

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Sorry to hear of your experience. I hope your recovery goes well.

Ladder safety is very important. We had a friend of my wife's family pass away from falling off a ladder while trying to clean gutters. It was very sad. If I'm doing anything that requires me to me three steps or higher, I'll have my wife or kids spot me. It never hurts to be to careful, especially as I'm getting older.

Reactions: BenMN

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
A friend of mine fell off a ladder while painting his mother's house and broke both ankles. He had surgery to replace them, one at a time. The healing process was prolonged, and he ended up with MRSA as well.

• Sad
Reactions: Toast

Reggie

Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
in no way am I wishing to draw attention to myself by posting this. Rather, I hope that by sharing this, it might well save you from a similar experience or save your life.
On September 27th, I came out to the garage to smoke a bowl and read, as is my usual Practice. To make my hobby space warmer, I purchased an insulated tarp to hang and hopefully save on winter heating costs. To do this it was necessary to climb up onto the upper most useable rung of my eight foot ladder. A friend had said he would come over the next day to help me but, in my foolishness I convinced myself that I could do it myself. Luckily for me I had removed everything from my shop.
I fell off and landed feet first on the ground and then collapsed onto the garage floor. I knew instantly that I had damaged something on my left ankle. I lay there in a collapsed heap in an agony of intense pain, wondering what to do. Very fortunately for me my phone was in reaching distance. I called my daughter and then the ambulance.
I ended up breaking or fracturing the Calcaneus bon located on the very underside of the heel. As the orthopaedic surgeon said: it’s probably the worst bone in the human body to break because of its location. That was seven weeks ago and by the grace of God I’m still here. I am fortunate to have learnt my lesson and live to talk about it.
The only message I want to pass on to fellow brothers is always, always, always have a spotter and helper around to hold onto the ladder and to have one hand on you as well.
Anyway, I hope this little story will prevent you in a similar situation to stop and exam what you wish to do and maybe, just maybe prevent you from having a serious accident.
Sounds exactly like something I would do. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. I have been on a ladder many times around the house when no one else was home and I live remotely . Thank you for posting this. I am not getting any younger.
I hope your healing is quick and as painless as possible.

Reactions: BenMN

Dave760

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
It seems strange to say this to someone who's suffered such an injury, but I'm very glad it wasn't worse.

Speaking of ladders, there's something two doctors told me at different times in my life: Nobody over 60 should ever climb a ladder. (Not implying that you are; just repeating something that some folks who see this thread might want go know.) Apparently serious injuries and fatalities from ladder falls accelerate once we've reach that age.

And an obligatory example: I worked for a global corporation (Fortune 500, $12+ billion/year decades ago). One of our senior VPs decided to clean his own gutters on a one-story house. Probably made a few hundred grand per year. He didn't survive his fall. :(

Reggie

Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
Thank you all for your kind wishes. The surgeon told me the full recovery would be six to twelve months and I might have a limp for the rest of my life. A small price to pay to still be alive.
I lost a coworker several years ago from a fall from a ladder. It was 3 days after he retired and he was cleaning gutters. He landed on his head on the concrete and never recovered. You are very fortunate!

• Sad
Reactions: ThermionicScott

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
My it pass quickly! Os Calcis fractures are rough!!

I was on the roof yesterday and told my wife “I f****g hate ladders”. She looked confused and I added “I’m not afraid of heights, I’m afraid of falls”.
Ladders are not to be messed with, primarily for this reason:
Once you think you’re falling, you’ve fallen.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Good luck on your recovery. It's tough to get up very high on a ladder and i was fortunate enough to avoid injury even though I did the same damn dumb thing you. What the hell were we thinking??

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Glad you didn't break your neck brother. Me and a bunch of Fellow Carpenters had an Ol Timey Band once called "How to stay alive on a Ladder" Yes Always have a buddy to steady and if someone ever leaves tools on top of a ladder immediately fire them. That's how you stay alive. Good Luck with healing up I broke my ankle skateboarding and a good exercise that they never tell you about is grab an old bicycle tire innertube hook it loose under the foot between the ball and heel with leg bent wile sitting and holding the tube tightly and extend the leg forward letting the innertube offer resistance. It's been 5 years and I still do this every once in a while when I get sharp pains.

Reactions: shikano53