Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’m sitting in the parking lot, next to a little Missouri municipal court, getting ready to go buy some milk, bread and other groceries, to take home to my wife, who’s taken a well deserved break to get her hair done in a genuine beauty shop.

I’ve been running around about all day from one little courthouse to another in a land so beautiful the first Mormons believed it was the original Garden of Eden.

Nearly a month ago I risked my informal fine pipe limit of a hundred American dollars on a White Spot pipe, that was stamped NOT FOR SALE. I trusted a German who is a long time member of this forum it was a very high quality pipe, regardless of it’s pedigree, and he thought it was made by Dunhill, and he said the bit was filed a bit thin.

One of my legal assistant’s oldest sons, a boy of about eight was in the office when I managed to swing by, on my way to this last court appearance of the day.

After a stern lecture to never smoke tobacco, it’s addictive and might lead you to an early grave, given in the same tone Harry Hosterman gave me so many years ago, I opened the box with what I am as convinced was made in the Dunhill factory in London England as a best pipe of the highest, largest grade and then rejected entirely because of accident filing the button, as I am the Missouri Meerschaum is also a best grade pipe made in Washington Missouri although the little sticker on the bottom might someday fall off.

I showed that boy how this high grade Dunhill would have been rejected at the Lee factory, for a badly filed button. Notice when the White Spot was down, the stem isn’t aligned with the shank. It could not be re stemmed, and sold as a first.

But make no mistake, hand made quality matters, and it’s evident, and it cannot be counterfeited, whether it’s a knock off of a Missouri Meerschaum in China or a Dunhill in a factory in Italy.

Please tell me, all you know, about how if this pipe had a perfect bit, it’s not the finest and highest grade of luxury briar pipe in the world.

The White Spot is flawless. The hands that inlaid it had done many. The stem to briar fit cannot be described, it’s so flawless.

It was a shame about that accident filing the bit. On a thousand dollar pipe, making another stem would show up. So it was stamped NOT FOR SALE, and likely given to the hands that made it, or perhaps snuck out by the eyes that inspected it.

But no way that would earn a Dunhill stamp, even as a gift pipe.

It hangs perfectly. It’s at least, a hundred dollars worth of huge pipe.

E78B8943-D5BF-49F0-ADE1-21FC143B5B8E.jpeg2C773656-601B-4BDA-9640-CD4868EBA191.jpeg7DE36ECE-1159-49AA-8408-80787104C46F.jpeg9F20FAD2-8961-474D-B387-78FE6F9526C4.jpeg758BCC4B-AF15-4483-A85A-7C808DFAC732.jpeg66B4220D-34E0-440B-AB29-760464DBA771.jpeg23F214C7-A8BD-4CCF-82A3-226B92D3E31B.jpeg092D8418-8892-4F42-87CE-5ECEA88F0AD5.jpeg7DFB9D89-2AA4-423E-B18D-D1AED2C6E062.jpeg356F556A-E392-410C-998B-C1B3C694B458.jpegE913802E-D570-4440-AE72-5ECA73E1BA2F.jpegF244A82C-B3AC-4951-B9C3-08A48F3D94D7.jpegC0F5A9CA-0214-4410-A559-0C4E3AC2F76D.jpegE2C2BEE6-99B1-4452-9777-7D5C9D664FF7.jpeg1E0F2923-9E29-47D6-89F6-60DC617F320C.jpeg It was something, of a London County Accident.:)

Try duplicating, the sound of Buck Trent and his electric banjo.

It would be as impossible as duplicating the quality of a best grade pipe.

So, is it a real Dunhill lunchbox special, either made at home or as a factory reject?

Or a fake?

Or could it be a real Dunhill.

Or does it matter, who made a best grade briar pipe?

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think you read my mind. That's precisely what I see. The worst part of it is it's not hard to get it right, if you do this little thing called take your time and be careful. I mean sure it might be hard to get it perfect but to get it where it doesn't jump out at me when I am not looking for it.....

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The worst part of it is it's not hard to get it right, if you do this little thing called take your time and be careful. I mean sure it might be hard to get it perfect but to get it where it doesn't jump out at me when I am not looking for it.....
Actually, lining up individual stamps to emulate a single one that has several words spelled out is literally impossible for a number of technical reasons.

Why it was done that way is obvious: a set of individual letters is dirt cheap and available to anyone online. Custom stamps are surprisingly expensive (one that spells "Not For Sale" would be around $250), and must be ordered from specialty makers. Phone calls, images supplied, questions answered, fonts chosen, spacing chosen, etc.

Also, legit stamps intended for wood cut much differently---far more cleanly---than the cheap "stamp kit" singles do. Meaning the impression they leave is distinctively different. There's zero doubt that singles were used in the case of The Fake Dunhill That Will Never Die.

It's truly funny to imagine some Dunhill shop worker fumbling with singles in a production environment.

The LeeBot ain't gonna quit now, though. rotf

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Dude, I’ve got this handmade genuine Rolls Royce that has a minor defect that makes it look a little bit like a Yugo, and to be honest the engine is stamped “Yugo” in Cyrillic letters, and sure most of the sheet metal might have been filed down a bit thin, but I’m certain it’s a Rolls because … unicorns!

I’m glad you are enjoying your new pipe and if you’re content with it that’s fine but … basket pipe with white dot. Just saying. ?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The slot is 100% wrong. A crude attempt to copy Dunhill's trademark "wide slot" by hand.

Dunhill has always used a radiused "swivel jig" with a side-cutting bit for slots. It ONLY cuts horizontally. Because of the way it is designed, cutting vertically is impossible. Copying it unless you happen to have such single purpose, custom built, industrial machine in your living room is a tricky business. Much more difficult to do with hand tools than most people would guess.

The vertical deviations in the Fake Dunhill That Will Never Die's slot are like DNA evidence in a murder trial. Never mind the many other things wrong with the pipe... this alone is sufficient to convict.

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 7.44.43 PM.png

• Love
Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
In pics 2 and 11, and potentially the last one, the stem doesn’t appear to fit flush with the shank. Is this a photo error, or in fact the case?

When the White Spot is on top there’s a beyond perfect join of briar and vulcanite.

The only other pipe I own that has this perfect, flawless, amazing stem to briar fit is my 1925 Parker Pre Patent Super Briar.

1B906DF5-F86E-4E45-9483-5F6EF08DC3CD.jpegThat one is properly stamped, too.
8B5BE7D6-3A7C-48B4-A7A5-B7BB44A6F53B.jpeg
White Spots could be faked.

But not top of the charts craftsmanship.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The slot is 100% wrong. A crude attempt to copy Dunhill's trademark "wide slot" by hand.

Dunhill has always used a radiused "swivel jig" with a side-cutting bit for slots. It ONLY cuts horizontally. Because of the way it is designed, cutting vertically is impossible. Copying it unless you happen to have such single purpose, custom built, industrial machine in your living room is a tricky business. Much more difficult to do with hand tools than most people would guess.

The vertical deviations in the Fake Dunhill That Will Never Die's slot are like DNA evidence in a murder trial. Never mind the many other things wrong with the pipe... this alone is sufficient to convict.

View attachment 103457
Ok, I see that.

But remember this pipe has a bit so bad, it would not fool an Arkansawyer.

But the entire pipe, except the bit, has a hand made feel of the best craftsmanship.

Could the bit have been finished at home?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Ok, I see that.

But remember this pipe has a bit so bad, it would not fool an Arkansawyer.

But the entire pipe, except the bit, has a hand made feel of the best craftsmanship.

Could the bit have been finished at home?
OK, this is getting absurd.

Kevin, if this is a bot or some other kind of Punk The Board exercise, you win. The beer will be on me next time we meet. bdw

If not, and it's an example of the sort of USER joke that's going to be allowed from here on out, know that the long term effect of such things won't be good.

Just sayin' .

Reactions: sablebrush52

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
There's actually visual evidence on the Parker that it was cut at the Dunhill factory, rejected, and stemmed with a non-Dunhill stem and stamped up as a Parker, exactly what you'd expect of that vintage. The NFS pipe won't show that stuff. (Show us a picture of the tenon head-on, and of the end of the shank on that NFS pipe if you don't mind).

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I am not a Dunhill expert by any measure. In fact I gave a bunch of them to Shaintiques years ago since I am not overly fond of them but I have to go with @georged on this one. I think he is right. It would be like asking me about meerschaum 'cutty' pipes from Paris. This thing is as bent as a $3 bill.

Reactions: sablebrush52

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The first post about this pipe became absurd. Now we are in to the fantastical. And I'm still wondering if he thinks it's an Alfred Dunhill or, a Dunhill White Spot as the terms seem to get used airily, without distinction. But, I am easily confused. A White Spot is hardly the same as an Alfred Dunhill pipe. In any event the discussion has become nonsensical in my view. Utterly entertaining nonetheless. rotf

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Is the only thing that makes this credible as a Dunhill that white dot? Seems far fetched.

Pro tip: It’s faster if you read the long posts starting from the bottom up. You can stop before you get the shopping list.

Status
Not open for further replies.