SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

How much does one need to smoke to be a pipe smoker?

• One or more bowls a day.

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Two or more bowls a day.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • One or more bowls a week.

Votes: 20 69.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
How much does one need to smoke to be a pipe smoker? As opposed to hobbyist or collector.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
That poor bastard with 6,999 hairs on his face is crying himself to sleep tonight.
What I want to know is in the name of all that is holy, who would count them in the first place? I can hear it now:
"Marcus, it is your first day on the job. Take this magnifying glass and count every hair in the security guard's beard. Um....Marcus, did you just make a rude hand gesture to me? And I assure you I most definitely did not ride in on a horse."

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
What is this driving force compelling people to make rules, set standards and define everything precisely? Why try to freaking suck the joy out of things? Why don't we have Pipe Smoking Classes such as Elite Master if you smoke 10 or more bowls per day, Master for 7 to 10, Captain for 4 to 7, Sergeant for 1 to 4 and Dipshit for less than 1 per day? See how silly that sounds? What's wrong with "I enjoy smoking a pipe" and leave it at that?

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
What is this driving force compelling people to make rules, set standards and define everything precisely? Why try to freaking suck the joy out of things? Why don't we have Pipe Smoking Classes such as Elite Master if you smoke 10 or more bowls per day, Master for 7 to 10, Captain for 4 to 7, Sergeant for 1 to 4 and Dipshit for less than 1 per day? See how silly that sounds? What's wrong with "I enjoy smoking a pipe" and leave it at that?

I agree. It is almost as silly as having to rest a pipe for a day for every bowl one smokes. Sadly no one likes rules. Especially if they disagree with them.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
A real pipe smoker has at least one piece of clothing with ember holes in it. Strangely shaped pipe cleaners that have been given to the cat to play with. A dog that has been forgiven for chewing on a briar block instead of a chew toy. A post man who hands you a package and inquires how much trouble you are in for this one. An exwife who used the seven day rotation of Dunghills as candle holders. A corn cob pipe he enjoys, but only smokes when he thinks no one is looking.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
one piece of clothing with ember holes in it
Yep

Strangely shaped pipe cleaners that have been given to the cat to play with
Yep

A dog that has been forgiven for chewing on a briar block instead of a chew toy

Love my dog, but he would be finding another home after that one.

A post man who hands you a package and inquires how much trouble you are in for this one.

I'll never have that one happen.

An exwife who used the seven day rotation of Dunghills as candle holders

That would make her a keeper, those things are useless as pipes.

A corn cob pipe he enjoys, but only smokes when he thinks no one is looking.

I'll smoke a cob anywhere I would smoke a commissioned pipe.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A guy who smokes a pipe is a pipe smoker. Now, I do have a standard to determine the difference between a "true" smoker and a "dilettante" smoker. But, it's not open for discussion so I'll not state it.

Some people are not comfortable unless everyone is labeled and fits in a predetermined pigeon hole. The get antsy when they can't readily ID a person a (insert label.) Life must be neat and uncluttered for many.

Status
Not open for further replies.