PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I make no bones about the fact that my favorite flake is Capstan Blue and I tend to compare all other Virginia flakes to the beloved Blue. My local B+M often doesn't have my Blue in stock so I have been trying others..... Orlik Golden Slices, SG Golden Glow, etc and recently my guy had me try a new flake. I had seen it often before but avoided it as it is listed as a "Navy Flake" and no where on the tin does it say it is a straight Virginia. The flake is Holger-Danske Royal Navy Flake and it has come to be my second favorite when Blue is unavailable and I have rarely if ever heard of it being discussed on here if ever. I'm not sure if it is because it's now widely available or just not that popular but I like it.

C362F365-626D-45F4-A67F-9D73FCE3AA98_zpsvf3ry8jf.jpg

On opening the tin I am met with the same "hay-like" smell I get with Capstan. Sweet and grassy, that smell that can only mean "Virginia". The flakes are a bit darker the Blue and cut more of a square then rectangular. They are about the same thickness but the square cut makes it a bit harder to do the fold-n-stuff method. I generally will break off about a quarter inch off the side and fold the remainder of the flake, the extra I rub out and place on the top for easier lighting.

6E68E60C-366F-4C45-A36C-0B8157F79FF2_zpstqspbktl.jpg

This flake lights easy and your greeted by a nice plumb of white, sweet smoke rich of sweet Virginia flavor with very light fruity under tones. The whole bowl burns nicely to a light grey/white ash and is a cool burning flake. If you have never had a chance to try this hidden gem take a chance and you might find a quiet beauty.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I've just got hold of a sample of this, I've had a very quick rushed bowl. Reminded me a bit of OGS without the citrus and not quite as sweet.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
yo blue - I have some tins of that HDRNF and share your enthusiasm for it. That is one that Harris and Peck never talked about, and I never told them - heh heh. However, when I discovered it several years ago it seemed to have been discontinued here in the US. That was curious because the HD ads in P&T Magazine still showed it along with the fruity stuff. I found a source in Japan, but never went through the effort to bolster my supply. That's semi-ok with me, since I don't cellar to Peckian proportions. I wonder if a German or Swiss store still has some.
hp

les

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I saw the price tag and then could not give any concentration to your review. I will have to try again when I can stop feeling acute sticker shock on your behalf.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Hey Blue, if you're completely out of Capstan Blue, give me a call and I'll score you a tin until you get some more. Also, see if you can locate Germain's Medium Flake, it smells and tastes like it might be right in your wheelhouse.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Not out yet but hopefully Jades will get more in soon. Lol I'll be putting in a 4noggins order at the end of the month either way.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm conflicted on hard-to-get blends. When you can corner them, it is a keen sense of achievement, but

when you can't it is a distracting quest and disappointment. A Forums member sent me a full package

of Semois, which I totally enjoy, but I just tried to buy some for the birthday of a pipe friend, and it's gone

on the out-of-stock list everywhere. There is much to be said for often praised blends that are also

readily available. For now, I sent my friend a couple of tins of Cornell & Diehl burley. Maybe I'll send him

a snack bag of Semois, to see if he'd like it.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I get that. I enjoy supporting my local B+M and the owner treats me quite well, the other day came in for Capstan which they had none but he tossed me a full tin of 3nuns to try. Great guy and knowledgeable but the selection is often wanting.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Hey Blu,
I'm in Switzerland and the best (and perhaps only) online pipe tobacco shop is synjeco. Here is the link to your beloved HD Royal Navy Flake. They sell it in tins of 5 so it's a little over CDN 12.00/tin. That's a savings of over CDN 100.00, but not sure about shipping and any crazy import duty fees the Canadian government might impose. Can't imagine it would be MORE expensive than what you're paying at your B&M and you'd have a few tins to cellar away.
http://www.pipesandtobaccos.com/pataall/taba/4390.php?i5s32

Status
Not open for further replies.