PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
There is no way in hell I would ask if they mind? As long as what you are doing is legal, moral and ethical you don't need anyone's permission and to solicit their opinions only opens you up to more trouble should you decide to do it anyway. If they complain you can respectfully tell them you are sorry that it bothers them but keep in mind that most people who will complain will do so, not because it is really bothersome to them but because they don't have enough joy in their own lives to keep them busy.
Again, I wouldn't smoke right outside their window or in a confined location where everyone gathers (such as near mailboxes) but if strolling the grounds or sitting under a tree by the lake then just enjoy yourself and ignore the busy-bodies in life. They'll get over it or it will only be their problem - don't let them make their problems, your problems.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
might want to get to know the close neighbors.. in a college town with turnover might be nice some folks get to know each other to keep an eye on things. I would venture to guess smoking would not be a biggie if it's mostly college folks. tell them your stinky pipe tobacco with cover up the smoke from their weed.
or you could do as suggested an screw them and smoke whenever you damn well pleas.. what exactly does the lease say about smoking? remember sometimes payback is a bitch.. a little common courtesy goes a long way and a lot of pipe smokers seem to approoach it with a bad attitude.

timmy

Lurker
May 11, 2014
Thank you all for the kind welcome. I knew I was coming to the right place to ask my question. There is a ton of great advice here. I think I will soak it all in and figure out what will work best for me. You have all been very generous and helpful with your input. I certainly think I can make something work with everything you've given me.
However to answer a recurring theme, smoking inside is strictly against the rules. I'd need to double check the lease but I'm pretty certain there is no problem with smoking outside the building.

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Oh I would not ask, but being inconspicuous is a good thing. A little consideration goes a long way, and many air machines are cheep. Do good and little will be thought of you. Do bad and scourge your own path.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Its nice to be respectful about your second hand smoke, but I wouldn't worry about it being a health concern for your neighbors. Maybe a nuisance if they're truly anti-smoking, but its not a health hazard. You're in the open air, on your own property and enjoying a product that's legal. Unless the complex has a smoking policy you have every right to smoke on your patio/deck.
The University of Stanford did a second-hand smoke study and they found that a person would have to be down-wind and within 18 inches of the smoker, and be in that position for an extended period of time (30 minutes or more) for the non-smoker to receive any ill affect from the second-hand smoke. The smoke that drifts to your neighbors either above you or beside you are not going to cause any health issues.

Mar 1, 2014
I would want to smoke on the roof of the building (assuming a flat roof), probably more privacy there and no-one will complain. I guess it's a good question whether security/management would allow roof access, but if you're a long time renter it might be worth a shot.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
There are food smells way worse than pipe tobacco.

Even some food you like can smell bad when you're not in the mood for it.

People warm up the God awfulest things at work and don't give a hoot about anyone else's sensibilities.
And people in apartments often fire up cookers outside on their patios...do they check with you first?

Their smells and fires are way "bigger" than your pipe.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Smoking etiquette. If there isn't a no smoking policy in your building, smoke away, american cigarettes smell like camel shit. If someone comes to you and complains, tell them to stuff it. Jesus even Canadians aren't this nice and considerate about these manners.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
apatim said:
"There is no way in hell I would ask if they mind? As long as what you are doing is legal, moral and ethical you don't need anyone's permission and to solicit their opinions only opens you up to more trouble should you decide to do it anyway. If they complain you can respectfully tell them you are sorry that it bothers them but keep in mind that most people who will complain will do so, not because it is really bothersome to them but because they don't have enough joy in their own lives to keep them busy.
Again, I wouldn't smoke right outside their window or in a confined location where everyone gathers (such as near mailboxes) but if strolling the grounds or sitting under a tree by the lake then just enjoy yourself and ignore the busy-bodies in life. They'll get over it or it will only be their problem - don't let them make their problems, your problems."

Glad I read this before responding ... it saves me a ton of keystrokes ...
This IS what I'd have said and it probably says it better than I could have ...

mcluvinmypipe

Lurker
May 8, 2014
I would just smoke away until someone says something then maybe you can ask when they are gone so you can enjoy your pipe while they are away.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
+1 trail
Honestly if its not a policy for the building just do it. You are trying to enjoy something you like, if anyone complains so be it but its yours to enjoy. I hate when people have cray loud pipes on their cars and Loud music but if its during the day they have a right to do so. Sadly my right to sleep so i can go to work gets ignored but thats my price to pay i guess lol.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
I will say one thing, since i made my mother smoke cigs outside her LOUDDDDD smokers cough has gone away and she enjoys the smell of her cloths and stuff. I too smoke outside so im not being an ass making her nicotine habit of going outside every 30mins lol.
And i agree that cigs smell like camel shit, my mothers just happens to be minty camel shit lol. Thanks andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.