PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Mr. Fallon:

Since you've previously mentioned your abiding love of Dunhill's Royal Yacht pipe-tobacco, I am curious to know your opinion of the Peterson version?

Merry Christmas!
It's still made by STG. I think his love was for the pre 2010s Murray's version.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I've never tried the Peterson's branded Royal Yacht, but as Chasing Embers said, it is still made by Orlik for STG. The Murray's era actually ended at some point in 2005. Unfortunately, RY has never been what it was when Dunhill London and Murray's made it. In fact, over the years since Orlik took over, RY has had several appearance and flavor variations. Some years it went from a ribbon to a broken flake, and for a couple of years - around 2008-2009, the flavoring (according to my taste buds), was maple rather than that exceptional mysterious flavoring that was used by Dunhill London and Murray's. Orlik went back to using their version of that mysterious flavoring around 2010-2011. I have not smoked an Orlik era RY newer than 2012, so I don't know what it is like now. I guess I should buy a tin and find out.

And by the way, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all the great members here!
Steve

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
Steve, I look forward to trying your blend of RY and Five Brothers. I know you mentioned this blend in a recent podcast and I think you said it’s your preferred eye opener. I can’t remember how you blended, I think you said something about stacking one over the other. I’d love know, it will add to your legacy. Years from now pipe smokers will light a bowl of your stout, ball dropping, chest hair growing blend.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Steve, I look forward to trying your blend of RY and Five Brothers. I know you mentioned this blend in a recent podcast and I think you said it’s your preferred eye opener. I can’t remember how you blended, I think you said something about stacking one over the other. I’d love know, it will add to your legacy. Years from now pipe smokers will light a bowl of your stout, ball dropping, chest hair growing blend.
Ha ha! Well, they have to live first to tell the story and some pipe smokers have hit the dirt after trying my blend. It is actually a parfait. I first put 1/3 of a bowlful of the Murray's era RY in the bottom and then the top 2/3 with Five Brothers. The RY has an exceptional and mysterious topping that is captured by the Five Brothers (a stout Burley with strength, little flavor of its own, and absorbs the flavors of other tobaccos wonderfully). Since both RY and Five Brothers are stout in the nicotine department, it truly is not a combination for the faint of heart. I was almost kicked out of my own pipe club's annual slow smoking contest for making the combination for the contest. Many a good man fell during the contest. Two others didn't keel over but they puked.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Ha ha! Well, they have to live first to tell the story and some pipe smokers have hit the dirt after trying my blend. It is actually a parfait. I first put 1/3 of a bowlful of the Murray's era RY in the bottom and then the top 2/3 with Five Brothers. The RY has an exceptional and mysterious topping that is captured by the Five Brothers (a stout Burley with strength, little flavor of its own, and absorbs the flavors of other tobaccos wonderfully). Since both RY and Five Brothers are stout in the nicotine department, it truly is not a combination for the faint of heart. I was almost kicked out of my own pipe club's annual slow smoking contest for making the combination for the contest. Many a good man fell during the contest. Two others didn't keel over but they puked.
I've enjoyed a bowl of this concoction, courtesy of Steve, and found it both delicious and excellent at growing hair on one's chest.