A Question for Parents of Little Kids...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think my dad started smoking a pipe, probably a corncob, when he was about 12. He quit cold turkey

when he was around 65 and never looked back. Died at 89 licensed to drive without glasses. Hmmm.

I smoked cigarettes with a buddy when we were about 7, turned deep green, and never returned to

the habit. My buddy was filching off his dad who was so deep into it, he didn't miss whole half

cartons. These were unfiltered.

punkrockarmy

Might Stick Around
Jan 13, 2013
I'm 18 so I have no children and don't really think I want them but if I did, I would let he or she decide for themselves when they reached the legal smoking age like how my mom raised me. She tells me now that she doesn't support my pipe smoking but she likes that at least I'm not smoking cigarettes or illegal substances like many my age.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I took my 18 year old son to the Chicago Pipe Show last year. He enjoyed the craftsmanship of the pipes, but has ZERO interest in smoking. He probably disapproves of my occasional pipe smoking.
Winton

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
I don't ever encourage anyone to start smoking. Even if it's significantly better than cigs, it is still unhealthy, especially if they start inhaling. But if they decide for themselves that it is something they would like to try, I will show the ropes without hesitation :)

mrgunnar177

Lifer
Apr 5, 2012
United States
I would educate them on smoking and tobacco and have them make their own decision on it. But if we are fishing or camping and my little boy or girl wants to have a puff it's no different than having a sip of wine at dinner or such. (Obviously when he or she are 13+ ). I don't have any kids yet but I plan to down the road

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
I have three young duaghters and they are drawn to me when I smoke. I am careful not to encourage it BUT they love the fact that daddy smokes a pipe. They even like to pretend to smoke a pipe when I am. They will go grab something and stick it in their mouth and pretend. I think its really sweet. I hope to be that memory one day of a father or grandfather when they or one of their children in the future smell it but I wouldn't necessarily want them to take it up.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I have a 4 yr old boy and a 2 yr old boy. I usually reserve my pipe smoking for when they are in bed. But my very astute 4 yr old has asked me several time about my pipes. He loves the smell of the tobacco and wants to smell the tins. He even asked me one day "Dad when I get older can we sit under the tree and smoke a pipe and have a pick-a-nic". I emphasize when you get older...I don't encourage it but I do teach as much as I can about moderation to my little men. I also love the contemplative nature that pipe smoking brings, which is a big reason I picked up the pipe. It forces me to sit and relax. I can't force it or I get the bite.

Aug 1, 2012
I can't have kids but my nephews do not know that I smoke...yet. They might suspect but I have taken measures not to influence them either way. Two of my 3 nephews look up to me and I don't want to "negatively" influence them too much as kids. I also teach and make sure that I don't broadcast my hobby/habit to others in my workplace. What they (nephews and students) do as adults is up to them but I will try to be the best role model I can and when they are old enough to know, they will.
Ever notice the kids that get into the most trouble often come from puritanical homes?
I see a lot of that but I also see the other side of things. The other kids who are "messed up" tend to come from parents that really don't want kids and make sure that the kids are thoroughly entertained while the "parents" live it up and make excuses for their kids' failings.
My parents taught me to look for the natural consequences in all things, positive and negative. They also taught me to think all decisions out to their logical conclusions and see if I could live with them. There was no sheltering but there was structure and expectation.
I know the possible consequences for my smoking and drinking and at this time I'm willing to accept them. If my nephews choose to follow my example I hope they at least think it through.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
its funny you should say this. My fiancee's son is 6. He LOVES to be around me when I "Pipe" as he calls it. He asks a lot of questions and is always commenting on the different smells of my tobacco pipe. So when he's old enough, if he has the desire, I'll definitely show him the ropes. Who knows if he'll even be lawfully permitted to smoke a pipe by then.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
They will go grab something and stick it in their mouth and pretend. I think its really sweet
That is really cool. I still remember hearing a noise behind me when I was mowing the lawn and saw my 5 year old daughter behind me with a bubble mower, complete with her shirt off like mine was. A treasured memory.

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
As many have stated I would never encourage anyone to smoke anything. Lets be honest, despite the presumed low risk of occasional or moderate pipe smoking compared to other forms, such as cigarettes, not smoking anything is the safest choice. With that being said If when my son becomes an adult if he wants to smoke a pipe then maybe we can make some father/son memories. I will however teach him that pipe smoking can be a contemplative, relaxing hobby that doesn't have to be (and shouldn't be in my opinion) an addictive vice.

jeffboyrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2012
I have a son (4) and a daughter (9). My son is ridiculously curious my pipe, and tells me that he wants to smell like Daddy. I catch him taking long gazes in my smoking cabinet and often have to direct his attention elsewhere. In all honestly, it bothers me a bit and I would prefer that he doesn't smoke, however, that is his call to make one day. I recognize though how influential family can be however, below is a picture of my grandpa, I'd say he had quite an influence on me...
grandpakorpi-411x600.jpg

I should note that if you look closely there is a cap on the bottle, as I am sure he was taking advantage of a photo opportunity.

Aug 14, 2012
I know this will sound strange, but what I like about this forum is that you may say what you want without fear of censure and condemnation, as long as you avoid politics, sex & religion. I have no children and am happy not to because I believe that this earth has a better chance of survival without humanity. Am half joking and half serious.

oldmooner

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2011
Sherman, Texas
I started smoking a pipe over 50 yrs ago because I was a "cool cat" when all "art" and "music" majors wore tweed sports coats with leather elbow patches and smoked a pipe. I went into the USAF and was sent to Jolly old England, at that time a land of pubs, sports cars and pipe smokers. People who smoke pipes are generally pretty well laid back and not easily upset. I love all of the "procedural" aspects of the pipe-smoking process. Keeps you busy and gives you time to think. Like so many other activities that people enjoy, pipe-smoking is being given a bad name right now. Once it was alcohol (prohibition and all that) and now it is tobacco. Pipe-smoking adds to the enjoyment of living and I don't think the "powers that be" have any objections. Who am I to change what has given me hours of pleasure over the years?

Status
Not open for further replies.