PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Looking up reviews for some blended whiskey I have ordered that is made by Ballantine's I stumbled upon a 200cl bottle of 'Ballantine's Finest Scotch Whisky' that was bottled in the 1970's. Now these bottles are priced at £225 which is quite pricey in my book but my question is this. If Scotch stops ageing once out of the barrell then how come such a lofty pricetag?

To my mind, whisky surely must age even once bottled simply due to the passing of time but I have read and been told this is not the case.

So whisky/whiskey experts, which is it to be....bottle ageing 'yes' or bottle ageing 'no'?

Ballantines.jpg

Regards,

Jay.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Once in the bottle it either stops aging or matures at such a slow pace as to be effectively stopped.

The rarity of the bottle is what is driving the price in this instance.

Always remember the most expensive bottles of Scotch (and Tequila) in the world are often available for a much lower price but you won't get the fancy bottle.

Even Johnnie Walker blue which is normally $175-ish/bottle is available in limited bottles that can vary from $300 to several thousand per bottle. Exact same whisky just a fancy bottle. I think the most expensive I've seen so far was bottled in a Swarovski crystal decanter.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
100% agree with Sasquatch. This will most likely be undrinkable. Even with careful attention to a collection, you lose bottles to dry corks, etc. Oxidation may be a factor, as are many other chemical changes.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Right on guys, so it as I read & was told, no bottle ageing.

Thanks for taking the time.

Regards the bottle pictured, I think someone would have to be out of their mind to buy an undrinkable bottle of whisky no matter who's name is on the label.

But then I suppose that bottle in the 1970's would have cost circa £7 so the seller could be onto a winner if he can get some wealthy muppet to buy it!

Regards,

Jay.?

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
Two rules to live by: There's no sex in the Champagne Room and there's no aging in the bottle. The bottle is priced as it is due to its scarcity (i.e., that bottle at that age/condition; think baseball cards). A bottle of 1900's Coke would be pricey, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.