PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
I hadn't thought about pipe smoking as a hobby when I took it up, although collecting pipes could easily become a hobby. It was more of an affectation for me---just something college students did. I could afford a modest pipe, a 2 oz pouch of tobacco and a sleeve of pipe cleaners (matches were free, after all) and still have enough left over for a dollar beer on the week ends.

Recently I got to thinking about the hobby aspect again.
I think it's a pretty near ideal hobby for a young man or someone of any age for that matter.

1. Briar pipes are pleasing to the eye. Sure there are some ugly pipes and beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but with most, form follows function. There is integrity in the design and honest simplicity in the materials.

2. You need to learn to smoke a pipe, or you'll burn your tongue and/or cough your guts out, It's not all that easy a thing to do, to slow down and pay attention. That's a critical part of any education, if you want something bad enough you have to work for it. It builds character and that, like an enjoyable bowl, is the reward.

3. Pipes are low maintenance. Once you've got your "kit" there is little else to do other than add tobacco and enjoy the reward.

4. Pipes are communal, or not. While a rarity these days, a pipe smoker will always acknowledge other pipe smokers we meet, but it is more often a case of enjoying your pipe while solo

5. Pipes are chick magnets. Pretty girls seem to find pipe smokers interesting. I don't exactly know why but I imagine it's the aroma of tobacco. We remind them of their fathers maybe. This is an excellent reason to take up the Briar, so someone else has the opportunity to remind your daughter of you.

6. There is History and Tradition involved. Pipe smokers share something with many great movers and shakers, both real and fictional? What other interest can one have in common with Mark Twain, Sherlock Holmes, and Douglas MacArthur?

7. As Huey Lewis would sing: "...don't need no credit card to ride this train." A cob and a pouch of codger is still less than $10 in most places, I'm guessing. cheaper than a round of miniature golf and lasts longer (matches are still free, after all) Of course you can spend as much money as you'd like, but you don't have to.

8. Pipe smoking compliments many other activities, like taking Fido for walks, fishing from a bank, sipping Brandy, reading classics, sailing a dinghy, raking leaves, etc... No one can accuse pipe smokers of being dull.

9. Pipe smokers tend to live longer. Close your eyes and think of an imaginary pipe smoker, They'll always be old men.
I wonder why?

10. Pipe smoking is like time travelling. You'll remember when and where you bought each of your pipes. Various tobacco blends will bring associated memories to the fore----campfires and Latakia, your mom's baking and delicious smelling aromatics, you get the idea.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It was more of an affectation for me---just something college students did.
5. Pipes are chick magnets. Pretty girls seem to find pipe smokers interesting.
I started smoking a pipe while I was an undergraduate. There was certainly an element of "cool". Or at least I thought so.

"Pipes are chick magnets. Pretty girls seem to find pipe smokers interesting" ?
I will dispute that statement. It certainly DID NOT work for me. :cry:

Mar 1, 2014
My interests in Pipes and Tobacco are purely historical, well, basically I'm doing it because Tobacco has become one of the most restricted substances worldwide so that makes it ultra cool, we're at the tail end of an industry that dominated societal habits for nearly 500 years and that means a ton of things are readily accessible now that may never be available again (I have my stash of Frog Morton and a bottle of Ketchup and no-one else is going to get any more ever again).

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
My interests in Pipes and Tobacco are purely historical, well, basically I'm doing it because Tobacco has become one of the most restricted substances worldwide so that makes it ultra cool, we're at the tail end of an industry that dominated societal habits for nearly 500 years and that means a ton of things are readily accessible now that may never be available again (I have my stash of Frog Morton and a bottle of Ketchup and no-one else is going to get any more ever again).
Oh, hell yes!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Tobacco has become one of the most restricted substances worldwide
I guess it just depends on where you live, there's still two local cigarette/tobacco stores in my Central Kentucky town. All of the gas stations, groceries, and department stores still sell them, I work with five other pipe smokers, and if I'm out walking or driving with a pipe, no one bats an eye. I also smoke cigarettes, cigars, and chew because I love nicotine.

Eye-level

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2021
Tulsa Oklahoma
Lately (basically 5 nights a week for the past 6 months or so) I've been grilling dinner in a vintage hasty bake tool box. It's a controlled certain type of fire in a chamber...metal in this case. My pipes remind me of this but in a more astonishing way at least to me. It's a tiny controlled fire in a small wooden chamber. Both are designed to hit your taste buds.

I think it's more of a mindset or way of being or whatever as opposed to a hobby. I mean like scrapbooking is a hobby. Pipesmoking is Pipesmoking. Collecting pipes is a hobby. Collecting tobacco is where it's at. :)

Mar 1, 2014
I guess it just depends on where you live, there's still two local cigarette/tobacco stores in my Central Kentucky town. All of the gas stations, groceries, and department stores still sell them, I work with five other pipe smokers, and if I'm out walking or driving with a pipe, no one bats an eye. I also smoke cigarettes, cigars, and chew because I love nicotine.
I still have yet to experience anything positive from Nicotine, my bowl of Kendal Kentucky over the weekend certainly had lots, even when I just start to become aware of the nic hit my only reaction is fear of the spins, prior to that I feel nothing.
The idea that this could be chemically addicting is still a totally foreign concept to me.
It seems the reactions people can have vary wildly.

Reactions: Latakia Dave
Jun 25, 2021
England
I hadn't thought about pipe smoking as a hobby when I took it up, although collecting pipes could easily become a hobby. It was more of an affectation for me---just something college students did. I could afford a modest pipe, a 2 oz pouch of tobacco and a sleeve of pipe cleaners (matches were free, after all) and still have enough left over for a dollar beer on the week ends.

I think it's a pretty near ideal hobby for a young man or someone of any age for that matter.

1. Briar pipes are pleasing to the eye. Sure there are some ugly pipes and beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but with most, form follows function. There is integrity in the design and honest simplicity in the materials.

2. You need to learn to smoke a pipe, or you'll burn your tongue and/or cough your guts out, It's not all that easy a thing to do, to slow down and pay attention. That's a critical part of any education, if you want something bad enough you have to work for it. It builds character and that, like an enjoyable bowl, is the reward.

3. Pipes are low maintenance. Once you've got your "kit" there is little else to do other than add tobacco and enjoy the reward.

4. Pipes are communal, or not. While a rarity these days, a pipe smoker will always acknowledge other pipe smokers we meet, but it is more often a case of enjoying your pipe while solo

5. Pipes are chick magnets. Pretty girls seem to find pipe smokers interesting. I don't exactly know why but I imagine it's the aroma of tobacco. We remind them of their fathers maybe. This is an excellent reason to take up the Briar, so someone else has the opportunity to remind your daughter of you.

6. There is History and Tradition involved. Pipe smokers share something with many great movers and shakers, both real and fictional? What other interest can one have in common with Mark Twain, Sherlock Holmes, and Douglas MacArthur?

7. As Huey Lewis would sing: "...don't need no credit card to ride this train." A cob and a pouch of codger is still less than $10 in most places, I'm guessing. cheaper than a round of miniature golf and lasts longer (matches are still free, after all) Of course you can spend as much money as you'd like, but you don't have to.

8. Pipe smoking compliments many other activities, like taking Fido for walks, fishing from a bank, sipping Brandy, reading classics, sailing a dinghy, raking leaves, etc... No one can accuse pipe smokers of being dull.

9. Pipe smokers tend to live longer. Close your eyes and think of an imaginary pipe smoker, They'll always be old men.
I wonder why?

10. Pipe smoking is like time travelling. You'll remember when and where you bought each of your pipes. Various tobacco blends will bring associated memories to the fore----campfires and Latakia, your mom's baking and delicious smelling aromatics, you get the idea.
None of the above mentioned points.
I just smoke my pipe because I want to.

djgilx

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2014
Dover, England

I wonder why?

Great post!

I've never understood why so many members are repelled by certain words, like "hobby." They'll even say something like, "it's not a hobby to me. I just do it for (some reason that is also considered a hobby reason)." Anything can be a hobby. A hobby just means to me a vested interest that I learn as much about and entertain in a way that suits what I want out of it. Even if I am just getting a dose of nicotine, that to me is a part of the hobby that suits me. Hell, wine is a hobby. Single Malts can be a hobby. Water tasting can be a hobby. Cooking, anything.

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
Anything can be a chick magnet. It's not the thing or the thing you're doing... it's the confidence in which you do it. Riding a unicycle can be a chick magnet, as long as while you're riding it, you make it look like it's the coolest thing ever.
Confidence is what attracts... not the thing you're doing.
I don't recollect any co-ed ever saying "Your unicycle smells like my father." LOL!