A Pair of Pre-Trans Barling's Bulldogs: I need some information.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Hello Gentlemen

I humbly submit these old Barling Bulldog's for your expertise. Both just arrived in a lot from the UK with pipes from the Ben Wade Leeds Era.
The one that looks nearly new has the arched "BARLING'S MAKE" logo on one side, and "EL" on the other side. Those are the only markings. The stem appears to be Hand Cut. One step tenon, like I've usually seen on old Barling's pipes.
The one that has been smoked more has the arched "BARLING'S MAKE" as well, but adds the shape "71" directly underneath. On the other side it reads "TETLEY & SONS LTD." and "EL". This stem also appears to be Hand Cut and the tenon is a "two step" tenon.
All of the Pre Transition Barling's Make pipes I've had before have had the Ye Olde Wood and T.V.F. stamped on them. I'm not sure what it means that these don't have either of those stamps, NOR any other stamps on the stems other than the crossed BARLING.
Can anyone help me date these?

Thanks!!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Nathan, my immediate impression is that the pipe marked only with BARLING'S MAKE EL, the stem is not the original. One does not see that "wasp waisted" cut on the sides, the other pipe TETLEY, notice how the sides are much closer to parallel with a even taper towards the button. That is a Barling's stem. Going by the size of the BARLING'S MAKE mark and the size marking EL on both pipes, I would say early 1940's. Jesse Silver's pipedia article goes into all this in much more detail, and much more comprehensively than I could here.
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Barling#Family_Era_Nomenclature:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Very nice pair of Barlings. Being EL sized, they're not likely to be earlier than 1940-1. The type of "Barling's Make" logo stamp is consistent with a 1940's, more likely early 1940's, time frame. This also means that they're made from briar harvested by Barling in Algeria. Both of these were basic grades, not YOW or higher.
The curved profile to the stem on the less smoked version is curious, and I'm on the fence about whether it's original or not. Barling did make stems with this kind of curved profile and flare but the proportions and facets, and button look "off" to me. I'd need better images of the button, slot, and the stem to be able to say with any assurance that it is or isn't original. Barling stems were hand made, so one should expect some variations, but images of the button and slot will likely settle the matter. The stamping looks like the real thing as opposed to a stamp made from a copy.
The model number is an old one, dating back before WW1. Barling kept a lot of their old model numbers even after changing the model nomenclature in the late 1920's when Barling reentered the American market and created two numbering systems.
Tetley would have been the Tobacconist who sold the pipe.
Do the stems have any stampings on the underside, specifically a REG'd stamp with a number under it?

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Ok, thanks so much for all of the input so far, gentlemen.
Here's some pics of the button, slot and tenon of the one that looks a lot less used.

I was mixed up on the tenon, by the way. It's the traditional English tenon on this one, and the more used one has the "two step".
Jessie, there are no additional REG'd # stampings on either stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.