PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
I have been wondering, so I thought I'd ask:
Isn't a seasoned pipe smoker supposed to smoke one blend only ?

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
It's really a personal thing and I wouldn't think being a "Seasoned Pipe Smoker" has a lot to do with it. I've been smoking a pipe for 50 yrs and don't think I could smoke just one blend. I am trying to reduce my blends to only 3 or 4 because I want to make things simple.

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
I smoked mainly one blend for years - I had the odd foray into different tobaccos but a;ways came back to the first. Over the last four or five years I have rarely smoked the same blend from bowl to bowl.
As Ray47, I keep a stock of five staple blends and then buy a tin every week or so of something I have never tried or haven't had in a while.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Would you eat only one meal 3 times a day 7 days a week? Would you drink only one wine.. or whisky or beer?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I think it just falls under the "different strokes for different strokes" category. Some are, some aren't. I'm a lover of trying new blends, and have a taste for different blends at different times. I wish I were a one-blend man, for simplicity's sake, but there is just so much good stuff out there!
I have a completely groundless and unproveable theory that being a one-blend smoker is easier if you have a very limited number of choices available.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I can't imagine it, if for no other reason than because I wouldn't want to smoke a Latakia blend either always or never.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I smoked Captain Black for the first 2 years then added Carter Hall and Prince Albert for variety, bout time I bought my second Briar pipe I started to try various blends, but I still smoke the codger blends daily

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
Kidding aside, I typically really do smoke MM965 98% of the time. At times, I feel like I'm cheated out of some enjoyment. At the Lehigh Valley meeting last night, almost everyone was smoking and swapping various blends. I really do want to enjoy other experiences, but I just find the others lacking, to this point. I did try a bowl of Father Dempsey, and found it not bad for a mild Latakia blend.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Lord in heaven above help me, the more time goes by, the higher of a percentage of my smoking time is dedicated to Prince Albert. Prince Albert, of all things! It's hovering at around 50% right now, but who knows, maybe it's just a stage.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I generally seek out and then locate the most overrated tobaccos of ALL TIME. Then I hoard them.
I just smoke what hits the mood, but I suffer from ..... look squirrel.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Truth be told, I could probably smoke Dark Star in two briars and be happy for the rest of my life.
But I won't.

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
I have over 200 blends at home and will smoke the same blend for a few days and go to something else. I drink different coffees, mostly dark roast, but different blends/ single origins. About the only things I repeat without change is dipping Copenhagen and my wife......

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
The idea of the seasoned smoker smoking only one blend is, I think, an idea left over from a time when the tobacco universe was maybe 15 different blends at the local store counter. Maybe doable at that time but not so easy today when there might be 6000 blends on the internet and you still have 5950 left you haven't tried yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.