PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bw10

Lurker
Aug 25, 2018
Hello everyone,
So this summer marks the end of my first year of pipe smoking. In this time frame, the 4 corncob pipes have seen much action. But I learned something new. Never, ever, ever clean your MM corncob pipe with too much or alcohol, or even any at all just to be safe. The corncob pipe is extremely porous and a little bit too wet of an everclear-soaked pipe cleaner will deform the stem and mortise.
I've done this to all of my old corncob pipes and didn't do it for the new one, and guess what.... The new one smokes great.
Good thing cobs are cheap lol

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I just ream the chamber with a pocket knife and use a dry bristle pipe cleaner on the draft, mortise, and stem. Many of my cobs are several years old.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I have 2 old MM Legends that are 40 plus years old. Clean with pipe cleaners, ream with a pocket knife, and still have the original stems. Just smoke em brothers...

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Ya, but....'they' don't make 'em like they used to.'
lengend1-600x450.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I know alcohol has its uses with pipes, but I've never used it, on the basis that I might get it on the wrong materials. There is usually a milder more appropriate cleaner. Though the price on cobs is low, I've never thought of them as cheap, since Missouri Meerschaums are well made and high functioning. I buy them with acrylic stems or replace the soft plastic with acrylic and keep them for the duration.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Didn't have a problem with alcohol. A gin/vodka cleaning is a must when acquiring a brand new pipe, as it must be disinfected.
With cobs, any liquid will make the mortise swell. This is not a problem: you just let it dry for a day or so; if the mouthpiece will still not go in, you can rub the inside of the mortise with the tip of a soft pencil, like 4B or softer and the bit will slide right in.
Of course, I don't do a spirits cleaning every time I clean my pipe (cob or otherwise), but if there's some stubborn gunk, I'll reach for the vodka. I bought a small bottle of cheap vodka just for pipe cleaning.
Acrylic stems, though, they don't play nice with alcohol: they can develop cracks. These get the initial spirits disinfection and then it's just lukewarm water and dish soap after every smoke.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Didn't have a problem with alcohol. A gin/vodka cleaning is a must when acquiring a brand new pipe, as it must be disinfected.
If they're unsmoked, I never bother. If estate, I just use soap and water on the stem.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Though the price on cobs is low, I've never thought of them as cheap, since Missouri Meerschaums are well made and high functioning.
AHA! Someone gets it! Meers are my primary, MM Cobs follow up. Just me...

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
Acrylic stems, though, they don't play nice with alcohol: they can develop cracks. These get the initial spirits disinfection and then it's just lukewarm water and dish soap after every smoke.
Wow, that's really good to know. I usually dip a cleaner in vodka or Everclear and run it through my stems before cleaning the mortis, etc. I had no idea that alcohol can damage acrylic. Thanks for the tip!

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
With cobs, any liquid will make the mortise swell. This is not a problem: you just let it dry for a day or so....
That's been my experience well. Usually, swabbing with a dry cleaner is sufficient, but I've occasionally used some Bacardi 151 when cleaning my cobs. It hasn't been an issue. I more frequently use a rum-soaked cleaner on the plastic stems.

mudcamper

Lurker
Mar 22, 2019
Sonoma County
And here's a different perspective. It's one that I follow. Works well for me. Something about cake buildup creeps me out. I clean my cobs after every use. And the first pipe cleaner though always has a dab of alcohol on it. Just be sure and let them dry out for a full day.

Status
Not open for further replies.