PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

corvo450

Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
I currently have an almost full pouch of Captain Black Gold. Since I do have a couple of new pipes coming, what would you recommend as far as a new pipe smoker. If it makes any difference, I am a long time cigar smoker.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Right now, pipes and cigars dot com has an ongoing special on pipe tobacco samplers.
http://pipesandcigars.com/samplers.html
Perhaps you could find what you are seeking there.

iowamike

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2010
Try them all LOL

pipetobaccoreviews.com might be a good place to start.

My suggestions would be for aromatics

Lane's 1Q

Boswell's No Bite Delite
For light English Blends

Mc Clelland's Frog Morton

Boswell's Countryside
For what its worth

The guys here will have plenty of suggestions

Good Luck

The fun is finding the right tobacco for you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Starting out as you are, it sounds like a sampler pack such as offered by 4Noggins might be perfect.

I think you'd enjoy trying different tobaccos and blends at a reasonable price, and it would give you

some basis for making future purchases. Take your time with this. Sometimes a blend won't taste

that great on the first bowl, but after it dries out a little, and you become more accustomed to it,

it will unfold for you. Also, I think rotating types of tobacco is the most enjoyable way to smoke, so

you have an aromatic, a non-aromatic burley and/or Virginia, and an English in turn. Sampler packs

are available from various online retailers, so you can shop around.

Do you like the Capt Black? Did you want to try other "flavors" of aromatics? Did it leave you wanting more of a tobacco taste? Or, do you crave the strength of a cigar?
Taste is a funny thing. For just as many people that say they like a blend, just as many will hate it, and even more will just be indifferent. But, if we didn't have different tastes, we wouldn't have as much fun searching for our taste range.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Very good advice (and questions) here.
Samplers are great. One of my first tobacco buys, after the Sutliff Great Outdoors that came with my first pipe, was a "My Own Blend" sampler from forum sponsor The Danish Pipe Store. What a great bit of fun that has been! All of the blends are aromatics that I never would have bought otherwise, and I've enjoyed them all.
My only advice then is to buy some samplers, and include tobaccos that you think that you will not like. At worst, you'll have something to give away, at best, you might find your perfect blend.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Welcome! Good advice so far. One thing that also helped me once I started trying a few blends was using tobacco reviews and these forums and seeing which members liked the things I liked. Then I started checking for which other blends they liked. This helped me zero in on a few tobacco's which I had a good chance at enjoying.
The whole thing is a journey and I've loved every minute of it.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Take your time with this. Sometimes a blend won't taste

that great on the first bowl, but after it dries out a little, and you become more accustomed to it,

it will unfold for you.
Superb advice. Early on I thought I could judge whether I liked a blend after only one or two bowls. Folks here said jar it up and wait a week, a month or even a year. Glad I listened to them. A blend's flavor and your understanding of it can change dramatically over time.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Drug store blends might be an easy step for a former cig smoker(I was in the same boat).
Some say they have a bland flavor, others can really dig the nuttiness the burley offers in these blends. I haven't tried them all, but I haven't come across something that's been worth turning my nose up at. These boys have been making these tobaccos for a very long time. That should mean something to you, give em a shot.
Might want to stay away from things like Paladin. I've not tried it but it has an almost universal hatred? Maybe someone that loves the stuff will chime in to persuade you otherwise. I plan on trying it sometime in the future just to see what all the fuss is about.
Sometimes when everyone tells you not to do something, we do it anyways because we're human and need to experience things first hand.
http://pipesandcigars.com/miscellaneous.html
http://www.4noggins.com/drug-store-blends.aspx
Might also be a very good idea to take Sutliff's little questionnaire to find out what sort of flavors you desire and they will give you one of their blends that meets your criteria, and then you can find it on one of the sponsor's websites.
http://www.sutliff-tobacco.com/home.html

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
Welcome! One thing I would suggest is befriend a local pipe smoker. I found out a guy I work with was also a recent cigar convert like myself. To be able to exchange samples and compare your opinions is one of the things I like most about pipe smoking. The suggestions and recommendations you will get from this site are top notch. Happy sampling and don't get discouraged if at first your choices seem lack luster. There are literally 100s upon 100s of blends to sample. Escudo and Frog Morton Cellar are two recent blends I received as a gift from a member here and they are the reason why I will remain a convert. I don't miss cigars at all. Good luck and happy smoking.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Shit, I read OP's post as a cigarette smoker, not a CIGAR smoker.
My whole post is null and void lol
Ignore me, I'm hideous!
Edit:
@Craig

Don't give up on cigars lol Why not love both?

Alec Bradley's Black Market Cigars are my current Go-To's. They're too delicious to ignore. :puffy:

juddeern

Lurker
Nov 28, 2013
Spartan Said: Might want to stay away from things like Paladin. I've not tried it but it has an almost universal hatred? Maybe someone that loves the stuff will chime in to persuade you otherwise. I plan on trying it sometime in the future just to see what all the fuss is about.
I can chime in on Paladin :D Starting out I liked the heavy cherry flavor and a buddy I introduced it to liked it a lot as well. I actually have a pouch of Paladin Cherry in my Tobacco box I have put away for another day. It's very wet and over flavored so for me I needed something to tone that flavor down a little and I found it smoked best out of a corn cob. I would say it's middle grade tobacco. It's not the best out there it certainly isn't the worst either. Those two points aside I would still recommend it for someone who was starting out and wanted to smoke something with a bit of flavor.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I'll put my $0.02 in! I recommend trying a variety of things to find what you really like, so here are some suggestions;
Aromatics (which is what you're smoking now);

1) Lane Limited- 1Q

2) CAO- Eileen's Dream
Hybrids/ Crossover Blends;

1) McClelland- Frog Morton Cellar

2) Hearth & Home- Mazatec

3) The rest of the Frog Morton Blends
Burleys;

1) Scotty's- Butternut Burley

2) Lane Limited- BLWB

3) Boswell- Premium Burley
Virginias;

1) McClelland- Deep Hollow

2) Mac Baren- Roll Cake

3) McClelland- 221b Black Shag
Codger blends;

1) Carter Hall

2) Sugar Barrel

3) Prince Albert

4) Half & Half
Full English/Balkan blends;

1) McClelland- Blue Mountain

2) Hearth & Home- Black House

3) McClelland- 5110 Dark English

4) Dunhill- Nightcap
Hope this helps!

Dan

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
You might want to try the many blends that contain cigar leaf -- something to which you're already accustomed.

Use the [Search Forums] dialogue box at the top of this page for "cigar leaf" related threads.

Some E-tailers also have search boxes.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
corvo450 asked:

"...what would you recommend as far as a new pipe smoker?

If it makes any difference, I am a long time cigar smoker."
How did you find your way in the cigar world? ... trial and error, right? ...

It's going to be the same thing with pipe tobacco ... if 20 guys each give you 5 different suggestions, you'll have 100 alternatives to sample ... that's a long way to go and there is still no assurance that the answer will be found ...
I'm going to suggest you get to know someone running a brick/mortar pipe shop near you ... talk to them, they'll almost certainly let you sample a few blends ... then, based on your reactions, they're going to steer you in a good direction ...
It's a question of individual taste ... no two of us will perceive things the same exact way ... makes it tough to suggest anything other than personal favorites which you may or may not like ...

juddeern

Lurker
Nov 28, 2013
+1 sfsteves
That sounds to me like some solid advice I had forgotten I did this very thing myself and it helped a lot! Sadly the store is no longer there as they were not able to establish themselves well enough. I highly recommend doing this though you won't be disappointed unless the clerks of course are complete tits.

Status
Not open for further replies.