PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I found images online of GBD Canadian collection which included a Liverpool, a Lumberman (262) and what appears to be a rusticated Lovat. You can see a definite bow in the stems akin to your own.

View attachment 261524
Agreed, the two on the right are showing signs of a bend. I wonder if this is a Canadian problem? My other 263 is as straight as... well, it shows no sign of a bend.

Reactions: HRPufnstuf

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Introducing a new take on a old classic!

View attachment 261463

This Canadian is bent. Sitting on a level surface, the end of the shank is a good half-inch off level. So, is it made that way, or pipe abuse? Are pipes susceptible to Peyronie's Disease?

The pipe is called a 'Manitoban':

View attachment 261466

That's the only identifier other than:

View attachment 261468

... which is, of course, a GBD number. I can't find 'Manitoban' as a sub-line or second. Thoughts, anyone?
I think it looks charming, utterly charming, love it!👍
If I was forced to live in Canada, I’d happily smoke that pipe….along with a nice crate of Labbatts.
On a more serious note, do you think it’s the cold Canadian winters that‘s warped it? Probably eh.
IMG_4620.gif

Reactions: cynyr and yanoJL

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Agreed, the two on the right are showing signs of a bend. I wonder if this is a Canadian problem? My other 263 is as straight as... well, it shows no sign of a bend.

All long shank pipes warp. Wood is gonna wood. The only question is how much it will become bent.

Enough to measure? 100% Enough to notice in the normal course of handling and use? Not usually.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Yeah, it's special. You have a one-of-a-kind pipe. And it's presumably from Manitoba, home of the world's largest tobacco pipe.

World's Largest Tobacco Pipe (Saint-Claude, Manitoba)
Was constructed in commemoration of early settlers who came from Saint-Claude, France, where the main industry was the manufacture of smoking pipes. This smoking pipe is 19 feet long and 5 feet high, and weighs just over 400 pounds.

View attachment 261481
That's cool. I'll have to swing by there some day. It's not far from Winnipeg. I didn't know it existed.

Reactions: yanoJL

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I have several old GBD Lumberman and Canadian pipes but they’re all still straight.
I never thought about a pipe warping but it makes sense. Anyone who has done any woodworking learns that working with what the wood is going to do when you machine it is a big part of making a good project. Wood will move.

Reactions: cynyr

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
All long shank pipes warp. Wood is gonna wood. The only question is how much it will become bent.
Yeah, I'm gonna smoke it anyway. ;)

I have several old GBD Lumberman and Canadian pipes but they’re all still straight.
I never thought about a pipe warping but it makes sense. Anyone who has done any woodworking learns that working with what the wood is going to do when you machine it is a big part of making a good project. Wood will move.

I'm still wondering if this pipe is somehow related to GBD, or if the maker just appropriated the shape and number. It's an interesting curiosity... and the amount of wear signals that it's probably a good smoker.