48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you feel so obliged, join me in a new quest - I’m planning on developing a new (atleast to me, and from my research in the realm of tobacco growing/curing/processing new to the industry) was of making a sort of “Latakia Cavendish”.

If anyone is interested I’ll post the results as they come along but here’s the preface of the project:

Take air cured burley or Virginia leaves and steam them for approximately 4-8 hours, before letting them dry “secondary cure” them with smoking of woods, nuts, herbs similar to Latakia.

the main difference will be wherein Latakia is cured from its green state to a dark brown/black, this new process will take already cured leaves and impart their aroma into the open pores of the leaf similar to how cavendish is flavored.

will it yield a smokeable Latakia adjunct? Perhaps it’ll leave me with a product that is terrible, I truly have no idea.
Who’d be interested in trying some of this leaf when it’s finished? Let me know!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
None for me thanks, but I will be most interested in hearing how the process works and how the gents who sample it will review it. The non-tobacco flavorings could be the wild card here, really good, or bad.

Reactions: Michibacy

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Sounds like a fun project!

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and caldron bubble.
Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the caldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt and toe of frog,
Wool of bat and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg and howlet's wing,
For a charm of powerful trouble,

Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

Reactions: lightmybriar

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
There are one or more forums dedicated to people who grow and process their own tobacco blends, and I've seen several threads about making something similar to Latakia. To get an idea of what types of woods and herbs you might want to use in the process, you might check around on some of these other forums. I recall reading about some who claimed to have some degree of success in making something close to latakia.

Hum... sounds interesting. My leaf isn't ready yet. It seems to grow slower in Arizona.
Atleast you have a grow season! I'm here in Michigan and got such a cruddy year for growing that I gave up on my crop half way through the year. Too much rain, not enough heat etc.
This is cool! Have you decided what kind of fuel(wood) to use for the smoke-curing? I believe they use some specific shrubs that have a big influence on the flavor with Latakia.
I haven't quite decided, but do plan to use some kind of north American hardwood as I'm located in Michigan and would like to go with something local.
There are one or more forums dedicated to people who grow and process their own tobacco blends, and I've seen several threads about making something similar to Latakia. To get an idea of what types of woods and herbs you might want to use in the process, you might check around on some of these other forums. I recall reading about some who claimed to have some degree of success in making something close to latakia.
I'm on one of those forums actually and have been following along closely to their progress. I'm wanting to make something "similar" to Latakia but not Latakia itself. Something in of itself different, yet equally as interesting. Thanks!

Reactions: lightmybriar
Status
Not open for further replies.