PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
I just had a bowl of Escudo from my very first tin of that mixture. I smoked it rubbed out in bent MM Legend while sitting on my porch listening to Collin water my tomatoes. I am quite happy now. What an unexpectedly sweet smoke. I anticipated Escudo being a good blend, but I can say that, for me at least, it lives up to the hype.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Escudo is good fresh and good aged. Buy a lot, smoke some and cellar some. In 5 years open a new tin and a 5 year old ti,...do the same in 10 years.
Escudo rocks.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
It's a great blend, and as Jefff said, fresh or 25 years down the road, it's a treat.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
Great stuff I can always reach for it and know it will be a nice smoke

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Had a bowl of rubbed out Escudo in a Falcon on the back porch earlier. It's just about the best for a warm evening; for those of us in the midwest, the warm evenings are just getting started for the season.
Welcome to the Escudo lovers' club. Our members are many. :puffy:

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I've yet to come upon anybody who doesn't care for Escudo. Were you to take a consensus, it may very well be the most often loved of all blends.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Every time I check top-tens, top-hundreds, and the like, Escudo and Orlik Golden Sliced are almost always in the top ten, if not number 1!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My first experience with Escudo was transcendent. It's hard to live up to that first bowl. Everything worked from the start, not the least of which was the flavor.

Surprisingly, Escudo was the first tobacco eliminated for consideration @ smokingpipes.com's annual best Va flake 'contest'.

The top choice? Rattray's Marlin Flake. I've been saving a tin of that for about a year now, and I already know that it's a fine choice.

Summertime and a lot of us will be searching out the VA blends. I'm not very sure why that is. Group think?

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
My first bowl out the tin was last week. It was good but I had to cut it tragically short (like 10-15 minutes) and, though I tried to save and come back tot the bowl, it was terrible after sitting 24ish hours in my pipe. My second bowl was just awful. I packed it all wrong I assume because I smoked it out of my usually reliable German clay but the bowl was all gurgles and sourness. But this third bowl was pure heaven.
On a sidenote, I had a bowl of Errinmore (the ready rubbed not the flake) over the weekend. It was good but exceedingly mild and none of the wonderfully fruity tin note made it to the smoke. Is this usual for Errinmore or was it a user error?

Status
Not open for further replies.