Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Number six- thanks for the advise, I'm going to do some investigating and if all looks right, I will pull the trigger on that stanwell this evening.
Good luck jeff - hope you'll let us know the outcome.

Aug 14, 2012
Some Dunhill Crosbys.
104s-4533_zps20829092.jpg
103s-4532_zpsb1e90aa8.jpg
102s-4531_zps97456e5c.jpg
105s-4534_zps554e11ca.jpg
Since these photos were done I sold 2 of the black shells and replaced them with #4 Root Briars.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Speaking of Bing has anyone tried this? It's his personal blend apparantly http://www.4noggins.com/cornellanddiehlbulkcrooner.aspx

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Jeff:
In my community there's a a weekly Sunday afternoon radio show dedicated to Sinatra and Crosby. Even though it really is my kind of music, at 55 I always figured it was geared towards the old age homes.
It does my heart good to see younger people - like yourself - appreciate the voices, lyrics and scoring that my parents listened to as I was growing up.
Cheers, brother.
Fnord
P.S. BTW, Jimmy Van Heusen - he scored Swinging On A Star, Going My Way and High Hopes - was also a test pilot for Lockheed Martin and was one of the first swinging dicks to strap on a P-38 Lightning for a test drive. How cool is that, Jeff?
F

Aug 14, 2012
flintlockjohn: The number keeps changing as I sell the Dunhills I like least. Right now it is 76, with 2 of them sold but still getting bids on ebay.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks Jeff and Roth for the Sav education. I have always liked them but was somewhat taken back by the filter. Knowing that you get a good smoke when removed will prompt me to add one to my collection.
Foggy - that is truly an outstanding collection you have. By any chance do you have any pics of your whole collection? I would be interested in seeing it, and of course bowing to your awesomeness :)
Dan

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Speaking of Bing has anyone tried this? It's his personal blend apparantly
I recently rec'd some and I haven't made a decision on it yet. It has deer tongue in it and it seemed a bit spicy for my tastes. I am giving it some time and will try again later.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
God I feel stupid admitting this but I just found that I too am a owner of a Sav Bing Favorite due to this post. I was given some pipes from my Pa years ago and I never really looked at that particular pipe. Thanks to you all I took out the balsa fired up some 2015 and have discovered that it is a very nice smoker. Thanks to all.

jeffboyrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2012
In my community there's a a weekly Sunday afternoon radio show dedicated to Sinatra and Crosby. Even though it really is my kind of music, at 55 I always figured it was geared towards the old age homes.
It does my heart good to see younger people - like yourself - appreciate the voices, lyrics and scoring that my parents listened to as I was growing up.
Cheers, brother.
Fnord
P.S. BTW, Jimmy Van Heusen - he scored Swinging On A Star, Going My Way and High Hopes - was also a test pilot for Lockheed Martin and was one of the first swinging dicks to strap on a P-38 Lightning for a test drive. How cool is that, Jeff?
That's excellent Fnord! Although I have heard of Mr. Van Heusen, I did not know that fantastic piece of info about his life.
I definitely prefer the songs of generations past. Growing up, my grandparents played a lot of Bing, Satchmo, Sinatra, Nat King Cole, etc. as well as old country from Roy Acuff, Marty Robbins, and Rex Allen to Cash, Twitty and Jennings. Those types of music dominate my playlists and my radio. Although I am lucky to listen to a weekly radio show (Elmer Aho, American Country Gold) which is dedicated to classic country, country swing and bluegrass, I wish I could tune in a show like the one you mentioned. I think it's important that those in my generation (GenX) keep the music and the history of previous generations alive. With the fast pace and rapidly changing nature of today's society, I worry the life, times and hobbies of America's "greatest" generation will be forgotten.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
The Winter 1997 issue of Pipes and Tobaccos magazine had an excellent in depth article on Ted Kolpin.
The article says that Ted made pipes for other stars, but the Bing Crosby model was his best seller. According to the article, it was modeled after Merchant Services pipes that Bing had acquired in England. The article also said that for many years Ted favored GBD Canadians, which Bing also liked.
The article also discussed Ted's method of curing his pipes. He would immerse the bowl and part of the shank in 151 proof rum for 12 hours, then put them under ultraviolet light for another 12 hours. He would do this for 6 weeks to a month. He said it produced a cool, dry smoking pipe.
Unfortunately, no mention was made in the article of what blends Bing or the other stars smoked.
I always thought that Bing preferred long pipes because he was tall and slender and they would complement his physical appearance.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Foggy
You may know that I am also a Dunhill fan. Although Roth would like the cumberland, I would be interested in a root briar, if you were selling.
Missed you at the NYC pipe club meeting.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think Savinelli labeled this beauty Bing's Favorite because of the elongated shank which traditional billiards don't have. The overall length is considerably longer than a traditional billiard as this one comes in at 6.75 inches (insert crude joke here lol). Overall it's a great smoker especially for the price. Well balanced and nicely drilled. A very elegant work of briar.
I realized that I was extremely rude in my previous post in not adding a picture. Here's a few.
individual-pipe-pictures-005-600x450.jpg

individual-pipe-pictures-006-450x600.jpg

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
I've read that Bing had many "better" pipes at home, but in public he preferred the long-stemmed Merchant Service pipe which was relatively inexpensive. Why? People were always stealing his pipes! If he set it down, it would be gone!
"Know what THIS is? Bing Crosby's PIPE!!" What a trophy! :lol:

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Damn you and your pictures Lordofthepiperings!!! Now I've got that PAD itch again.....and I haven't even received the last pipe I ordered! Fighting.....fighting.....fighting. :crying:

englishdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Denver, CO
Like Rothnh and Lordofthepiprings, my Sav Bing is also rusticated. I have to mention also, since rothnh bought it up, the pipe is surprisingly light. While the stem is acrylic (plastic) it is very comfortable. I have another Sav with an acrylic stem and it too is quite comfortable held in the teeth, although a completely different shape.
Brdavidson, don't resist. This is a really good pipe, you won't regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.