PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
One of the things that I was hoping to achieve with the blog was to introduce a sort of sense of humor to our craft, seeing as how we take our hobby so seriously. I wanted to offer a more tongue in cheek sort of approach to pipe smoking and how we think of our pipes and tobaccos. Let me know what you guys think of this one. I am rather proud of it, and I hope you will be too: Why I Am Not a Pipe OR Tobacco Snob

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Great article. I think you made so very valid points. I guess I don't qualify as a pipe/tobacco snob (thankfully), because I smoke OTC's, as well as the artisan stuff. I also have a modest collection of pipes ranging from cobs up to my Caminetto, which is probably the most expensive pipe I have.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Great read with the coffee to start the day.... gives me a hankerin' for some Carter Hall in my MM Country Gent this morning!!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I really enjoyed that article but I'm a bit confused... if this was written "tongue in cheek" (meaning 'not to be taken seriously or at face value') does that mean you DON'T really enjoy all tobaccos and all pipes?
But then again I'm easily confused. But well done!

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
It is so easy for some people to get carried away with thier own self inportance and holier than thou attitudes . We see them try to overcome thier emotional insecuritys by spending lavish amounts on possesions and stuff .Denouncing everything of a precieved less monetary value . Then there are those of us who are thankful for what we have . Carter Hall that has been cellared in a wharehouse in Wackenhut New Jersey in a Amphora pipe purchased with coupons and resold on Ebay twenty years later for less than ten American dollars shipped .Sorry for bragging . :puffy:

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Good read !
The more I read and learn, the more I feel that the tobacco world is very much like the wine world, with which I am way more familiar. You have those that will pull up their nose at a $10 bottle of red, there are those that adhere to the adagio "Drink it if you like it" I'm ver much in the second group, my whole family with their 100's of bottles in the cellar... Nuff' said ;-)

Guess I am the black sheep after all :rofl:

Jul 15, 2011
I really enjoyed that article but I'm a bit confused... if this was written "tongue in cheek" (meaning 'not to be taken seriously or at face value') does that mean you DON'T really enjoy all tobaccos and all pipes?
The article as a whole was supposed to be a fun look at both ends of the hobby, and how I enjoy both ends equally, both the cheap pipes and cheap tobacco and the higher end pipes and artisan tobacco. maybe "tongue in cheek" was the wrong description. I was just supposed to be a humorous piece expressing my opinion on the matter, and I realize that there are those who won't share my opinion.
So let the snob-bashing begin!
This isn't what I was trying to achieve at all. Again, I enjoy all pipes and tobaccos equally, and I realize that there are some who don't agree with this point of view, and I encourage the differing opinions. In any case, thanks to everyone for the kind words and thanks for reading!

Jul 15, 2011
I think I am a snob and didn't even realize it. Thanks Eric, now I'm depressed.
Don't be depressed Paul. As I said in the article, like what you smoke and smoke what you like. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.